• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing a section of the Frances next week

Booms81

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all

Thinking of doing a section of the Francés next week, probably starting around the 14th October. We're campervanning so all very flexible.

We're 41M and 42M. Will probably start at Roncevalles and head west (we've done St John Pied de Pont to Roncevalles before).

A couple of questions:

- From my time in Spain before driving around my impression is that the middle section of the Francés is less attractive industrial agriculture. Is it worth more or less walking to Logrono?

- Does anyone know if there's a good place to leave a campervan at Roncevalles, and presumably then to get the bus back to it?

- Starting in mid October, do we need to start worrying about the albergues and other facilities closing? Should we be booking ahead?

- For all my reading around the various blogs, I haven't managed to find a really good one that gives me a good feel in advance for how each day feels. Any suggestions?

We intend to do the entire Francés and probably several others in our own time, I'm just trying to get a sense of how much we should do this time around.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For all my reading around the various blogs, I haven't managed to find a really good one that gives me a good feel in advance for how each day feels. Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to experience it yourself without having some preconceived idea.

If you just want to know things like elevation gain, topography, and the distances between towns then Gronze.com, guidebooks and apps like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino should be sufficient.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
my impression is that the middle section of the Francés is less attractive industrial agriculture
Are you talking about the beloved meseta?

I haven't managed to find a really good one that gives me a good feel in advance for how each day feels.
There are thousands of videos that give these impressions, but there is no universal experience. Even those of us who have repeatedly walked the same stages, would not be able to produce a description/video that could inform you about how your day will feel.

Does anyone know if there's a good place to leave a campervan at Roncevalles, and presumably then to get the bus back to it?
I have not done this, but you might also consider leaving your van near a potential endpoint and getting bus transport to Roncesvalles.

Starting in mid October, do we need to start worrying about the albergues and other facilities closing? Should we be booking ahead?
I wouldn't worry, if you are not open to different types of accommodation - albergues as well as private rooms. Some albergues close but there are still plenty open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It might be easier to leave it first in Pamplona at a car park or a campsite, then take the bus back to Roncesvalles. Then you can take it to Logrono when you arrive in Pamplona, take the bus back and walk from there. I think that might be easier than leaving it in Roncesvalles. There will be established car parks and/or campsites in both Pamplona and Logrono.

Thanks guys. that all makes sense. I've found plenty of blogs and Youtube videos but they're all so universally positive I can't make a decision!

For example, if anyone has done the Via Francigena then the Lucca-Altopascio section is grim, mostly on nasty roads with lorries thundering by and it would probably be better to take the train before someone gets splattered on it. The rest that we did was fantastic.

Looking for a blog with that kind of realism!

Really the only downside of Roncesvalles to Logrono are that there are two pretty big hills with rocky descents. One just before Zubiri an one between Pamplona and Urtega. Both have those rolley, slidey rocks. Easy to trip and fall. Otherwise good scenery and mostly on paths (except through Pamplona of course).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back