Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Ruta Verde recently?

susanvalaer

Time of past OR future Camino
CF ‘19,‘22 Fn/M ‘22,‘23 San Salv ‘23, Prim ’23
Good afternoon! I will be walking my fourth Camino this September - the San Salvador, then Primitivo and then on to Finisterre and Muxia. I’ve read a bit about the Ruta Verde variant that connects the Primitivo to Norte with the advantage of avoiding the Frances, and haven’t been able to confirm that the first few days, specifically that portion that’s a boardwalk along the river, is doable. It appears from the most recent posts that it’s in disrepair and unable to be walked upon, but I haven’t seen much more of updates on the walk.

Anyone done this recently?

Susan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the link Tim, I’m also considering it (for July) but hadn’t seen that thread. Lowo‘s update IS very encouraging! Definitely now in the mix.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was a recent (and encouraging) thread here
See especially post #6
You mention 'first few days' - the link is just a two-day walk, from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes with an overnight in Friol.
There was a recent (and encouraging) thread here
See especially post #6
You mention 'first few days' - the link is just a two-day walk, from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes with an overnight in Friol.
Yes, I should have said “first day!” That is indeed encouraging - I’m currently following a woman who is walking the Primitivo and today she posted that she wished she had taken Ruta Verde, as her day was 90% spent on “side of the road” walking after Lugo, and not enjoyable at all. But as she said, it’s a bit late to rethink your decision when you’re already 28K into the day!

We just did this walk at the end of this May. It is very lovely and the boardwalk is finished and follows the river for a while. The road walking is minimal and lots of farm paths with flower, and sometimes there was no road at all. There is virtually no support so be sure to take food and water with you. Friol to Sobrado has a little more road walking, but is also mostly earth until about 5k out of Meson where the Norte joins in. Once you hit the Norte, the road walking becomes the majority until you hit Lavacolla. The 9 miles before Goimil is a solid white line walk with semis whipping by. From Goimil to Lavacolla, there is a service road that parallels the highway so at least you are not on the road. As stated, there are 2 official stages on the Verde with stops in Friol and Sobrado. We added the Norte Variante for 2 more days to avoid as much of the Frances as we could. I would do this stretch again in a heart beat.
There have been questions as to whether this route would create an issue with getting cellos or our Compostelas. We had no problems with either.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take the Camino Verde over to the Norte, and then along the Norte variant to avoid the crush on the Frances. The Norte variant joins the Frances right at the airport. It really minimized the time spent on the Frances.

As @ratherbefollowingflechas states, the first day to Friol is very, very nice. The way is well marked. Simply follow the Camino out of Lugo, cross the bridge over the river, turn right to walk past the swimming pool and the split is just a bit further. Follow the Camino Verde up river following the municipal path paralleling the river. Don't miss the left turn off the river at roughly one mile. This was one of the best Camino days we've ever walked. It was so beautiful. I'll post an image of where the Camino Primitivo and Camino Verde split. You can see the small green arrow at the bottom of the Camino marker pointing right.

The second day from Friol to Sobrado is not as well marked. You must pay attention. We only saw two other pilgrims on these two days, and they got lost several times on day 2. They would pass us, and an hour or so later they'd pass us again stating that they lost the way. They were not paying close enough attention and walked 4 km out of their way. Twice when we were walking with them they missed a green arrow spray painted on the asphalt and we had to call them back. The green arrow can be challenging to see at times.

The Camino Verde is very nice and is worth doing for sure.

Attachments

• DSC06014.jpg
    DSC06014.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back