• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello all!

AKJohnson

Hi everyone! My name is Kristina and I live in Kentucky USA. I am 31 years old, with 32 creeping up on me in August. My husband and I are just in the very beginning stage of planning our trip. I am in cosmetology school right now, and our plan is to walk the Camino Frances sometime next year after I graduate. As of now I am just researching like crazy, and beginning to train a bit since I have never been a long distance walker. My husband backpacked around Italy for three months, but the most walking I do now is our daily mile walk with our dogs.

We have the Rosetta Stone program so we can learn Spanish. He knows a few different languages and generally has an easy time picking them up. I know I will really struggle with learning Spanish, but it is something I feel is very important for me to learn. One out of respect and two so I can communicate and not look like a goon!

Anyway, there is my very brief intro. I am so looking forward to chatting with all of you and welcome any and all advice!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Kristina, welcome to the forum.

Please check out the FAQs for info on how to do "stuff" on the forum and there is a search facility right above this topic "Check if your question has been asked here before" which has answers to a lot of common questions. Just put in a few keywords to search.

I hope the training and the Spanish go well over the next few months. I look forward to reading about your progress if you choose to share. Feel free to ask for advice as and when you need it.

Buen Camino
Mig

Welcome! Good luck with your planning and training. One suggestion I would make is to stop Rosetta Stone and start Fluenz. Rosetta Stone is great if you want to be fluent. That takes a LONG time. However, if you want to be conversant quickly, Fluenz will get you there. Rather than learning the words for sock and airplane, you'll learn how to introduce yourself, how to order at restaurants, how to ask for directions, etc. In other words, you'll learn how to use the language instead of just vocab.

Good luck to you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Kristina,

I join Vagabondette and Mig in welcoming you to the Forum.

These Forum threads hold a wealth of information to help you plan your future Camino. Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Training is VERY important. The Camino is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all are. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Happy planning, training and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hola Kristina!

I am a native Spanish speaker who has lived in the US most of her life. What I recommend you do is two things 1) remember that a language is like a muscle - use it or lose it! 2) There are many people who speak Spanish in the US. Spend time practicing with them and let them know it is okay to correct you. Buena Suerte! :eek:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all so very much! I know I am really going to struggle with learning Spanish, so if I can learn what I really need to, and not just a bunch of random words it will be that much easier for me. I remember trying to take a Spanish class in high school, you know, almost 15 years ago, and struggling bad with it. I have been looking around the site and it is just a wealth of information, almost an information overload! But I am glad everything is here. I am looking forward to sharing my progress with Spanish, as well as trip plans once we begin to actively plan. As I mentioned before, my husband is an avid backpacker/hiker, so he has already started making plans for me to train. We had planned on a hike this weekend, but the temperatures here in Kentucky are brutal right now.

Again thank you all for the welcome and advice. I am very excited!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.