• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello everybody!

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
Hi everyone! My name is Tom and I'm new. I appreciate the great backlog of posts, opinions, and info as I am actively preparing for my Camino in April-May.

I'm 63, single, live in far northern California. I've worked as a hospice chaplain and hospital administrator. My Camino comes at a critical moment in my journey as I leave my working life in health care and begin retirement and prepare for a move to Mexico. The rock that I carry with me represents fears, frustrations, my soon-to-be-forrmer career, successes, failures, relationships. I've heard it said that you discover the reason you walk the Camino as you walk the Camino. I'm looking forward to finding that out! I'm also looking forward to meeting peregrinos along the way--perhaps some who are reading these words just now! Thanks for all that you've already contributed to my Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tom. Tell folk at home not to phone you or email you and to only message you if there is an emergency and then switch your phone on for one minute each evening to check and then switch it off and put it way again. You cannot be 'there' in California and 'there' on Camino at the same time. No man can have two masters and that goes for Camino too, so if you want a deep personal experience choose Camino and pilgrimage - they will still be there when you get back.

Enjoy every step Tom, the good and the bad (as there is no good and bad - just what is).
When you get tired don't forget to turn and see how far you have come that day - empowering!

Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone! My name is Tom and I'm new. I appreciate the great backlog of posts, opinions, and info as I am actively preparing for my Camino in April-May.

I'm 63, single, live in far northern California. I've worked as a hospice chaplain and hospital administrator. My Camino comes at a critical moment in my journey as I leave my working life in health care and begin retirement and prepare for a move to Mexico. The rock that I carry with me represents fears, frustrations, my soon-to-be-forrmer career, successes, failures, relationships. I've heard it said that you discover the reason you walk the Camino as you walk the Camino. I'm looking forward to finding that out! I'm also looking forward to meeting peregrinos along the way--perhaps some who are reading these words just now! Thanks for all that you've already contributed to my Camino.

WELCOME Tom! An amazingly wonderful life journey awaits you. Personally the Camino has made my daily retirement life much more colourful and meaningful. There is life after “work” if you’re open to letting your old self go and embracing the person you get to be now. Buen camino and Ultreia !

Are you off soon, Tom?

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes!!! I’m on the Camino April 24th!!!

What about you?

Are you off soon, Tom?

Buen Camino!
[/QUOTE]

Hi Tom, I missed your original post. You must not be too far from me in Medford. It's probably too late for your Camino prep, but if you ever get up to Oregon we have a local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, and have meetings each month. If you are interested in our group send me a private message and I can add you to our mailing list. We will probably have a social event in July for St James day.

Buen Camino!

Yes!!! I’m on the Camino April 24th!!!

What about you?

27 July. Seems like a really long time away, so I envy you a little!

Have a wonderful time. I hope you’ll update us on your Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Smart move Tom. You've just made you best post-retirement decision to do a Camino.

Hi Tom, I missed your original post. You must not be too far from me in Medford. It's probably too late for your Camino prep, but if you ever get up to Oregon we have a local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino, and have meetings each month. If you are interested in our group send me a private message and I can add you to our mailing list. We will probably have a social event in July for St James day.

Buen Camino!

Thanks so much for the invite! My home until January was Mt Shasta so definately not far from Medford. On the day that I retired I also gave away most of my possessions and hit the road. I'm just finishing up 2 months in Oaxaca, Mexico at 5500 ft where I've been getting in better shape to walk my Camino starting in 20 days. I loved living in Mt Shasta but don't anticipate moving back there at this time. Thanks for thinking of me and perhaps I'll meet some of your members along the way!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I get back from the Camino I always envy the people who are about to go!

27 July. Seems like a really long time away, so I envy you a little!

Have a wonderful time. I hope you’ll update us on your Camino.

Thanks for that! I'm only 23 days out!

WELCOME Tom! An amazingly wonderful life journey awaits you. Personally the Camino has made my daily retirement life much more colourful and meaningful. There is life after “work” if you’re open to letting your old self go and embracing the person you get to be now. Buen camino and Ultreia !

Thanks Collette! I just now saw your post. Threads on this site are hard for me to follow! I was so ready to let my "work self" go. I'm not sure that I could've worked one more day! I've enjoyed the past 2 months in Oaxaca, Mexico exploring the area and preparing myself for the Camino.

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouaging words! I'm now 20 days out! I've enjoyed the past two months in Oaxaca, Mexico at 5500 ft where I've been training for the Camino. There is an iconic outdoor staircase here in town with 310 steps that has become my best friend! I've reluctantly decided to write a blog with photos and videos of my Camino and my retirement experience. I wasn't going to do that because the Camino is such a deeply personal experience and I didn't want to cheapen it by self-promotion or self-absorbtion but I had friends that told me that they really want me to keep in touch with them so I decided on this course. I welcome you to check it out if you like. If you hit "like" it will notify you when I post something new. And of course I welcome you to post with your comments and reflections as well! Buen Camino! facebook.com/lifeasabiketour

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.