• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello Fellow Pilgrims (to be)-Advice Please?

camino?camiYES

Time of past OR future Camino
2019-October-Flying to Bilbao on the 11th Oct -travelling to St Jean on the 12th and walking 13th on
Hi everyone, I am walking (at least) the first 14 stages of the Camino in October this year, and will be flying to Bilbao on Oct 11th to commence my walk on the 13th (a Sunday). This leaves me the Saturday to get from Bilbao to St Jean. My question would be: can anyone advise the best/cheapest way/s to get from Bilbao to St Jean? Obviously don't want to spend more than necessary, and online seems to bring up a lot of contradictory or downright wrong advice/timetables etc. Assistance appreciated, and Buen Camino! Danny.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pesa bus from Bilbao to Bayonne once a day. It may be an issue finding the schedule for October. Flixibus several times a day, but you may be better off starting in San Sebastian because there are more buses to Bayonne.
Once you are in Bayonne it is a short walk to the train station to take the train to SJPdP in the afternoon.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So... you have at least 3 options:

1. Catch the one Pesa bus per day from Bilbao to Bayonne (as mentioned by biarritzdon). It leaves at 7am and costs around €20 (according to this year's winter timetable, but in my experience the timetables seldom change from year to year). A 7am departure will mean quite an early start, especially if you don't know the city that well, and you might need to queue for bus tickets, so that will also need to be factored into your plans.

2. Catch an Alsa bus from Bilbao to Irun (there are about 10 buses per day, costing around €8). Not entirely sure where the bus stops in Irun, but shouldn't be too far from the Hendaye train station. From Hendaye, it's a 41-minute journey to Bayonne, there are trains every hour (SNCF, costs €7.90)

3. If you've been to Bilbao before and aren't that fussed about visiting it again, you could also catch a bus directly from the airport eastwards to San Sebastian (it's bus number DO50B with Pesa/Lerraldebus). Buses leave every hour, the journey only takes 1h15. San Sebastian a great city if you maybe wanted to spend your first night there. Possibly also easier to navigate - and, as biarritzdon says, more transport connections. On the 12th you could either catch a direct bus to Bayonne, or else, my personal favourite (I love trains!) catch the local Euskotren which drops you off just outside the SNCF station in Hendaye.

The last time I took the ALSA bus to Irun it went across the river to the French side and dropped me off at a round about that is a minute or two from the Heydaye train station.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am walking (at least) the first 14 stages of the Camino in October this year, and will be flying to Bilbao on Oct 11th to commence my walk on the 13th (a Sunday). This leaves me the Saturday to get from Bilbao to St Jean. My question would be: can anyone advise the best/cheapest way/s to get from Bilbao to St Jean? Obviously don't want to spend more than necessary, and online seems to bring up a lot of contradictory or downright wrong advice/timetables etc. Assistance appreciated, and Buen Camino! Danny.
Look up BlaBla Car - it is very affordable and a ride share service, similar to Uber, but local drivers who ar heading in the same direction can make some money car pooling others. I have used it from Biaritz to San Sebastian, which are close to St.Jean. I have also rented a car and driven from San Sebastian Spain to St. Jean , it was quick and easy. Best of luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back