• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good morning fellow pilgrims 👋🏻

SomebodysMother

Time of past OR future Camino
I'd like to say Buen Camino to my fellow pilgrims. I'll be beginning my Camino in late August 2023 coming from the USA My brother and I are traveling together. It's his second Camino and my first.

I've learned so much from this forum and I wanted to express my thanks and bid you all buen Camino

And by way of a question, what's the proper response when you're greeted with Buen Camino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And by way of a question, what's the proper response when you're greeted with Buen Camino?
If the greeting comes from another pilgrim then I tend to reply in kind - "Buen camino!". If it is said by someone who is clearly not walking a Camino themselves then I usually reply with "Gracias!" and "Buenos dias!" or the appropriate greeting for the time of day. With fellow pilgrims I might occasionally add an "Ultreia!" too...

It depends on who says it to you. From a fellow pilgrim, I generally respond "Buen Camino" as well, or perhaps "Ultreia". From someone who is not a pilgrim, I generally respond "Gracias" (thank you).

As a bit of trivia, the traditional response to "Ultreia" (onward!) is "e suseia" (and upward!).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others have suggested, it depends on the situation. To try to ensure that I don't sound too rote or automatic, I will often reply to a fellow walker "gracias, y tu!"

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back