• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello…flight info

Wright

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 or 2024 Portuguese Coast
My name is Wright, first name. I’m a retired RN and just stumbled across the whole Camino thing. I think I’d like to do the Portuguese coastal walk…solo.
I live near Orlando,FL and I’m investigating cheap flights/cruises to get there.
What is my cheapest place to leave from and where’s the cheapest to land in Portugal. Does day of the week matter? I saw that some fly into Iceland and take a secondary flight from there…and truth to this?
Thanks…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will love the Portuguese. I fly standby, but sometimes flights to Madrid can be less than Lisbon, then an easy 1 hour flight to Porto. maybe just check the usual sites like skyscanner or momondo?

Madrid is nice for an exit with a fast train from Santiago.

I am thinking early October this year. I've also had great walks in Feb.

Thanks for the quick reply.
You mention a flight from Lisbon to Porto. Are you suggesting beginning in Porto and not Lisbon? About how many days from Porto? I guess Lisbon is about 30 days???

My only other question now is about sleeping bags. It looks like most overnight stops supply beds/cots/slabs with bedding. So is a sleeping bag needed or just a light quilt or “sheet bag.”

Ok, and charging phone??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the quick reply.
You mention a flight from Lisbon to Porto. Are you suggesting beginning in Porto and not Lisbon? About how many days from Porto? I guess Lisbon is about 30 days???

My only other question now is about sleeping bags. It looks like most overnight stops supply beds/cots/slabs with bedding. So is a sleeping bag needed or just a light quilt or “sheet bag.”

Ok, and charging phone??
You wrote about doing the coastal; the coastal starts in Porto, that why you got a reply making reference to flying to Porto.
The walk from Porto is around 12 days (it all depends on the distance you plan on walking each day)

The need for sleeping bag is a very debated question. It depends on each individual, the time of year, and the type of accommodation you are planning on staying in.

What is the question about charging one's phone?

Wright...take a look at TAP Portugal. Reputable, great service to both Lisbon and Porto from the US east coast, not the nickle and dollar ops that RyanAir is.

Bom Caminho ( I think)

You wrote about doing the coastal; the coastal starts in Porto, that why you got a reply making reference to flying to Porto.
The walk from Porto is around 12 days (it all depends on the distance you plan on walking each day)

The need for sleeping bag is a very debated question. It depends on each individual, the time of year, and the type of accommodation you are planning on staying in.

What is the question about charging one's phone?
I was just curious about access to receptacles at night. Are they plentiful? Where did that word come from.

Are belongings usually safe at night? Wallet, watch, phone and money/credit cards? I had a girlfriend years ago from England who would sleep with her money belt on if alone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was just curious about access to receptacles at night. Are they plentiful? Where did that word come from.

Are belongings usually safe at night? Wallet, watch, phone and money/credit cards? I had a girlfriend years ago from England who would sleep with her money belt on if alone.
There is usually good access to electrical outlets, but it is nice to bring a charger that can connect with 2 or more devices so you can share with someone else.

Yes, belonging are usually safe at night. But "usually" is not good enough for me. I keep my valuable (money, banking cards, passport and phone) more or less attached to me body at all times except in the shower, when they are still in sight.

If you take a portable battery pack, you can charge it even when you are not in sight, and then later use it to charge your phone.

My name is Wright, first name. I’m a retired RN and just stumbled across the whole Camino thing. I think I’d like to do the Portuguese coastal walk…solo.
I live near Orlando,FL and I’m investigating cheap flights/cruises to get there.
What is my cheapest place to leave from and where’s the cheapest to land in Portugal. Does day of the week matter? I saw that some fly into Iceland and take a secondary flight from there…and truth to this?
Thanks…
No knowledge of flights from USA but Portuguese be a good beginning for you I would suggest from Porto as the infrastuctor from there is better than from Lisbon.either inland way or coastal both have there pluses very few negatives.if you do do inland way try and stay at Casa Fernando experience never to forget best nights accomodation and dinner bkfst in all my years of doing Caminos

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.