• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from a soon to be pilgrim (April/May 2008)

Hi all,

I'm Hilda, and I'm planning on walking the camino frances mid-April or early May next year. From what I understand that is a good time of year to walk. I'm hoping that discussing this here on the board might make me more determined to do it. I'm afraid I might chicken out.

I've decided to walk it, because I'm hoping that it'll help me grow as a person. I just finished school this summer (I'm 19), and at the moment I'm working for my mother, and as a result can have all the time off I want. I don't really know what I want to do with my life, or how. So, I'm hoping this will help me. That I'll meet new people, do something completely unexpected (I'm not very athletic) and be inspired.

At the moment I've started to do a little research on what backpack to buy, what shoes to get etc. I need a lot of time to buy walking boots as I have very sensitive feet and need to walk in them as much as possible before I get on the camino.

Hilda

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Hilda,
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you get lots of support and advice.
I'll try to address some of the things you have mentioned in your introduction.
I don't know from where you intend to start your pilgrimage, maybe in France or Spain, but assuming you will start from Roncesvalles, it is still a big journey and it is not easy, but thousands of people do it each year, and many are your age. However, if you decide that now is not the time for you it is not 'chickening out', it may be a wise decision. But, I think you will do it. The time you are thinking of is good, but both weather and numbers of pilgrims are unpredictable.
Also if you are not quite sure what to do with your life at the moment, then there are worse places than the Camino to take time and space to think and experience something new. You will be able to exchange many ideas with other pilgrims.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'sensitive feet.' Certainly, not being athletic you need to get into good condition, but you do not need you feet toughened in the sense that you need thick skin. Thick, hard skin will produce blisters. I have walked long distances, got only two small blisters ,and at the end my feet were 'as soft as a baby's bottom!' The key is good equipment - double socks (dry), and boots that are a good fit.
I think there will be others who will offer more advice from their experience on the Camino, so I will finish here for the moment.
I wish you agood period of planning, and for next year,
Buen Camino,
Brendan

Brendan,
Thanks for your reply.

I was planning on starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port.
I really want to do it, I just guess I don't have enough faith in myself. I'm a very shy person, and I'm afraid of new situations, so this would be an enormous challenge. But I do believe it would be incredibly good for me. So, I'm thinking I'll go. That's what it feels like now, anyway. I'm thinking about it a lot as I want to make the right decision.

Well, when I say sensitive feet I mean I get blisters from every type of shoe possible, whether sandals, trainers, flip flops or winter boots. Anything.
It's also very hard for me to find shoes that fit. I'm a size 35 (5 in american and 2 in UK, I think, or vice versa), and it's just incredibly few shoes that fit me. But, I hope I'll be able to find a pair of good walking boots when I decide to walk to Santiago.

Hilda

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Hilda, (2nd e-mail allows a change from just 'Hi ..')
In geographical terms we are almost neighbours, (I'm in North East England) and when working as hospitaleros this year Anne (my wife) and I welcomed wonderful pilgrims from Sweden.
You say you are 19 yrs and shy. That's ok, perhaps not such a big problem as you imagine. When you are making your pilgrimage you can choose as much space as you wish, you can engage with other pilgrims as you walk each day or you can choose to walk alone. I think it is quite normal for pilgrims to walk together but then for one or the other to say that they would like to walk alone - other pilgrims wil respect your wishes. May I refer to a Danish pilgrim, with whom I am still in contact since we met in 2005. There were 3 of us walking together,in France, when we first came across 'Gudrun', 25 years old and walking alone. Gudrun preferred at first to keep her distance and this was respected by all. During the following weeks we walked together at times but always whenever one or the other wished to walk alone it was no problem for the other(s).
You say you are fearful of new situations, but you have already succeeded (!) in one way; you have put yourself on the line in this Forum. While you are currently nervous, please believe me that this is normal. Each time you sit down to work out the next part of your preparation you will feel a bit of excitement/nervousness - if you can, try to enjoy it, it's part of the pilgrimage you already started. I have been through the same nervousness twice, aged 50 and 60 on the way to Santiago. I think you have support from your family - enjoy that support, it is an essential part of your pilgrimage.
On the practical side of blisters! I feel for you that you have such difficulty with footwear. So,since you are walking next year I suggest you go to a good shop and buy one pair of double socks (one sock with two layers) and try them out with good footwear. The theory is that if the boot/shoe rubs then it rubs against the external part of the sock which can still rub against the internal part of the sock but NOT against the skin - therefore no friction on the skin and no blisters. You have time to experiment, but take a lot of time to select your footwear, and do not get anything too heavy. In '96 I walked with heavy boots and had big blisters within 5kms. In 2005 I wore double socks and had only two small blisters in 2500 kms,once due to a wet sock and the first one where a bit of fabric was loose and formed a small ball.
On your other point of not being very athletic - don't worry! Pilgrims come in all shapes, sizes, ages and states of fitness, but most get to Santiago and they are much fitter when they get there.
Enjoy your preparations, and if you have more anxieties/questions feel free to contact me via this forum or on private message. (Last time I walked was aged 60, 2500 kms.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

Hilda:

Well, I hope you don't chicken out - the Camino is a once-in-a-lifetime experience :)

I just did it in July-August of 2007, from St. Jean to Santiago. I'm somewhat of an introvert as well, but the Camino really got me out of my shell. Even an American like me with limited language skills got to meet and walk with many different kinds of fascinating people. Folks will come in and out of your walk, but here and there you'll find some pilgrims you'll go deeper with. I had some great experiences I'll never forget with a couple of German pilgrims, and also with a group of Spanish peregrinos.

The neat thing is that you all have the Camino in common. That makes conversation easier. Plus, you'll be walking by people, with people, and sharing accomodations and meals with all sorts of folks. Did I mention that the albergues tend to be unisex - bathrooms and all? Don't let that freak you out, though. On the whole, people were very considerate to their fellow pilgrims.

A good book to read and take with is "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: Camino Frances" by John Brierley. Excellent maps, good accomodation info, and interesting historical background. Plus, it also has some spiritual leanings if you're into that.

Anyway, I hope the Way is everything you hope it to be - buen Camino!

Hey, Hilda, I am also a soon to be pilgrim May/June 2008. Like you, I am very excited, sometimes a little bit nervous but most of the time happy with all the preparation and anticipation... I am a 56 year-old woman from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, and I have already started walking longer distances and breaking in tennis shoes and sandals...Sometimes I take a backpack but I did not have the nerve of filling it all the way, yet. The most interesting about planning is that all of a sudden you come to meet so many people that have done the Camino, and also people that start to collect information about it to give to you. I am also pondering about backpacks, silk sleeping bags, and all kinds of feet ointments, socks, shorts, etc... Anyway, this is just to tell you not to "chicken out". Go ahead and keep us posted about your progress in the courage field!! :p :lol: :lol: Bye for now, Sulachado.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
atlanticheart said:
Brendan,
Thanks for your reply.

I was planning on starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port.
I really want to do it, I just guess I don't have enough faith in myself. I'm a very shy person, and I'm afraid of new situations, so this would be an enormous challenge. But I do believe it would be incredibly good for me. So, I'm thinking I'll go. That's what it feels like now, anyway. I'm thinking about it a lot as I want to make the right decision.

Well, when I say sensitive feet I mean I get blisters from every type of shoe possible, whether sandals, trainers, flip flops or winter boots. Anything.
It's also very hard for me to find shoes that fit. I'm a size 35 (5 in american and 2 in UK, I think, or vice versa), and it's just incredibly few shoes that fit me. But, I hope I'll be able to find a pair of good walking boots when I decide to walk to Santiago.

Hilda

Hi Hilda,
I would encourage you to walk the camino.
In july/aug2006 my wife and I met a young spanish pilgrim in Santibanez, at a refugio where we were staying. She told us that she was walking the camino alone for the second time. The first time she walked alone as she wanted to prove to herself that she could be independent - she comes from a small spanish village, was shy, unsure of herself etc. The second time (when we met her, she was walking again just to enjoy the walk).

Hope to read from you after you have completed your walk
buen camino
alain

vinotinto said:
Well, I hope you don't chicken out - the Camino is a once-in-a-lifetime experience :)

I just did it in July-August of 2007, from St. Jean to Santiago. I'm somewhat of an introvert as well, but the Camino really got me out of my shell. Even an American like me with limited language skills got to meet and walk with many different kinds of fascinating people. Folks will come in and out of your walk, but here and there you'll find some pilgrims you'll go deeper with. I had some great experiences I'll never forget with a couple of German pilgrims, and also with a group of Spanish peregrinos.
I'm working on the confidence and courage thing. At the moment my main concern is that I won't be able to walk as far as I hope each day.

That's what I hope to achieve with my camino; meeting lots of interesting people. Perhaps working on my Spanish skills :).

vinotinto said:
A good book to read and take with is "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: Camino Frances" by John Brierley. Excellent maps, good accomodation info, and interesting historical background. Plus, it also has some spiritual leanings if you're into that.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I have the CSJ guide at the moment, and at times I find it a little confusing. And I feel as if I'd be more comfortable if I had maps with me, even though I don't think I'll need them.

Sulachado, I know exactly what you mean. I keep going through posts on how to avoid blisters, what kind of clothes to bring, what kind of sleeping bag... etc. The list just goes on and on. But I like it. It's fun planning, and I really hope I can gather enough courage to actually go through with it. I think I will.

Alain, I hope to be able to post in May, after having completed the walk. That would be fantastic. And I hope it'll help me with my self-confidence and my shyness.

Thank you all for your encouragement.
Buen camino and take care,
Hilda

I'm working on the confidence and courage thing. At the moment my main concern is that I won't be able to walk as far as I hope each day.

That's what I hope to achieve with my camino; meeting lots of interesting people. Perhaps working on my Spanish skills

You'll get practice in all of these areas - I guarantee it :) I definitely recommend brushing up on Spanish - they like it when you at least try to speak the lingo, and you'll need it in the smaller towns. Also, be flexible on daily distance (hopefully you'll have enough time to be flexible). After going too far during the first two days with too much stuff and the wrong boots, I had to slow down to a 10 -12K a day pace for over a week. As I got rid of unneeded junk and procured better boots, I was able to go farther. But then again, it wasn't bad having to stop after 10K - I got to see more sites and meet more people that way.

And I feel as if I'd be more comfortable if I had maps with me, even though I don't think I'll need them.

The maps in Brierley's book were helpful for planning my daily distance, especially when it came to terrain type, accommodations, and alternate routes (sometimes the trail will branch off in two directions, and eventually come together again a number of kilometers down the line. One way can be much shorter and less strenuous than the other). They are also handy for checking out historical sites. I'm a visual person, so the maps in Brierley's book were very helpful to me. In fact, I gave away my Confraternity of St. James guide because it was all text.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
vinotinto said:
You'll get practice in all of these areas - I guarantee it :) I definitely recommend brushing up on Spanish - they like it when you at least try to speak the lingo, and you'll need it in the smaller towns. Also, be flexible on daily distance (hopefully you'll have enough time to be flexible). After going too far during the first two days with too much stuff and the wrong boots, I had to slow down to a 10 -12K a day pace for over a week. As I got rid of unneeded junk and procured better boots, I was able to go farther. But then again, it wasn't bad having to stop after 10K - I got to see more sites and meet more people that way.
I do have a basic knowledge of spanish, took classes in school for three years. Although I have some bad habits I need to drop with my language use. Basically to stop trying to sound native and fluent and perfect everytime I say something. I think I'll get lots of chances to practise that during the camino.

I am going to ensure that I have the right boots from the beginning, because otherwise I'm screwed. I'll have blisters before I even get out of St Jean. I am going to have to take every precaution to avoid blisters that there are.
I do have some time, since I just graduated this summer, and now I work for my mum in her shop. So I can basically have unlimited time off. I would like to do the camino in maybe 35 days though. Averaging 25km per day.

vinotinto said:
The maps in Brierley's book were helpful for planning my daily distance, especially when it came to terrain type, accommodations, and alternate routes (sometimes the trail will branch off in two directions, and eventually come together again a number of kilometers down the line. One way can be much shorter and less strenuous than the other). They are also handy for checking out historical sites. I'm a visual person, so the maps in Brierley's book were very helpful to me. In fact, I gave away my Confraternity of St. James guide because it was all text.
I actually bought the Brierley book yesterday, so it should arrive in a few days time. Hopefully. :) I'm thinking of combining the two. I wont bring both. My packing is already quite heavy enough. But more on that some other day, and in another topic. :)

Hilda

Hi, Hilda. I just joined the forum, and plan to walk in April/May myself. I have no useful advice, as I am only beginning to make my plans, but perhaps I will see you on the road! ~ Liliha

I am going to ensure that I have the right boots from the beginning, because otherwise I'm screwed. I'll have blisters before I even get out of St Jean. I am going to have to take every precaution to avoid blisters that there are.

Good idea. I abandoned my too-heavy pair in Logrono in favor of a lighter Spanish set. Bought them at an outdoor store called Planeta Agua (helpful staff) that specialized in Camino outfitting. They did the trick, but I wished I'd bought them in the first place.

I have flat feet that I've broken a time or two, so I had to really pamper them. I also used inserts (padded with maxipads to keep my feet dry, as the woman who ran the Roncal albergue in Cizur Menor taught me), foot power between the toes, anti-friction goop on hot spots, athlete's foot cream to keep the shower nasties away, and two pairs of socks to avoid blisters and add more padding. After a hard day's walk and shower, I'd rub them down with analgesic gel.

I do have some time, since I just graduated this summer, and now I work for my mum in her shop. So I can basically have unlimited time off. I would like to do the camino in maybe 35 days though. Averaging 25km per day.

That's cool, but I'd recommend taking break days here and there, especially in cities like Burgos and Leon. Not only will you give your body a much-needed rest, but you'll get to see some cool stuff. I ended up taking 40 days to reach Santiago (including break days in Logrono, Burgos, and Leon), and then I spent 3 nights there hanging out with fellow pilgrims and relaxing.

Of course, everyone has to do their own Camino. I'm telling you what I did as a guideline, not as a commandment. Heck I saw people walking it wearing Tevo sandals! Anyway, I kind of envy your place right now - it's cool simply planning for, and looking foward to, the adventure that is the Camino. I hope it will be everything you want it to be - and that it also affects you in ways you don't anticipate :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi liliha. It would be nice to see you on the road! If I do decide to go, I hope we meet.

vinotinto said:
Good idea. I abandoned my too-heavy pair in Logrono in favor of a lighter Spanish set. Bought them at an outdoor store called Planeta Agua (helpful staff) that specialized in Camino outfitting. They did the trick, but I wished I'd bought them in the first place.

I have flat feet that I've broken a time or two, so I had to really pamper them. I also used inserts (padded with maxipads to keep my feet dry, as the woman who ran the Roncal albergue in Cizur Menor taught me), foot power between the toes, anti-friction goop on hot spots, athlete's foot cream to keep the shower nasties away, and two pairs of socks to avoid blisters and add more padding. After a hard day's walk and shower, I'd rub them down with analgesic gel.
I am going to go into town and go to an outdoor shop and see what they have in terms of light-weight boots. Hopefully they'll have something that fits. I have tiny feet, a size 35 (UK 2½, US 5-5½). I am gonna write down all your footcare tips, and try them all, if I have any problems with the boots I end up with.

vinotinto said:
That's cool, but I'd recommend taking break days here and there, especially in cities like Burgos and Leon. Not only will you give your body a much-needed rest, but you'll get to see some cool stuff. I ended up taking 40 days to reach Santiago (including break days in Logrono, Burgos, and Leon), and then I spent 3 nights there hanging out with fellow pilgrims and relaxing.

Of course, everyone has to do their own Camino. I'm telling you what I did as a guideline, not as a commandment. Heck I saw people walking it wearing Tevo sandals! Anyway, I kind of envy your place right now - it's cool simply planning for, and looking foward to, the adventure that is the Camino. I hope it will be everything you want it to be - and that it also affects you in ways you don't anticipate :)

Yes, I have planned to stop in Leon at least, and have been thinking of Burgos too. I think I'll need rest days, and you'll get to see more, since I guess you wont feel too much like sightseeing in Leon after having walked 25km to get there. =)

Thank you. =)

Hilda

Hi Hilda! Definitely plan on rest days! Burgos & Leon are nice places to stop & the albergue in Burgos gives you an excellent excuse to stay at a hotel. :lol: In the early part of your camino, plan to only go about 20k per day. Don´t push your body or you´ll hurt yourself or get sick. Don´t feel intimidated by those who brag about going 30-40k a day. Take a look at their feet. Ugh! You don´t want that.

As for blisters, my tried & true technique has been to put sports tape on my feet in areas I know I get blisters (balls of the feet, big toes, heels) every morning before putting on my socks. That way, the friction & heat hit the tape & not my skin. I just finished part 2 of my Camino & I´ve only gotten 1 blister (and that was back in May when I didn´t know I needed to put tape around my big toes). Of course, this might not work for you, so try it out at home before hand.

Kelly

WolverineDG said:
Hi Hilda! Definitely plan on rest days! Burgos & Leon are nice places to stop & the albergue in Burgos gives you an excellent excuse to stay at a hotel. :lol: In the early part of your camino, plan to only go about 20k per day. Don´t push your body or you´ll hurt yourself or get sick. Don´t feel intimidated by those who brag about going 30-40k a day. Take a look at their feet. Ugh! You don´t want that.
I was planning on staying at hotels in the larger cities. And probably at some other places along the road too, when I feel like I need to be alone, and when I feel like getting a proper shower to myself, and with real shampoo etc... =)

WolverineDG said:
As for blisters, my tried & true technique has been to put sports tape on my feet in areas I know I get blisters (balls of the feet, big toes, heels) every morning before putting on my socks. That way, the friction & heat hit the tape & not my skin. I just finished part 2 of my Camino & I´ve only gotten 1 blister (and that was back in May when I didn´t know I needed to put tape around my big toes). Of course, this might not work for you, so try it out at home before hand.
Thanks, I'll keep that in my book of blister-preventions-to-try. I get blisters from everything! Sandals, flip flops, trainers... everything. It's a nightmare.

Thanks, and take care,
Hilda

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Hilda,
Re feet, I think the key is in choosing good footwear that suits you combined with good socks - having had massive blisters after 10 kms on one pilgrimage I used double socks on the second - they worked; I would recommend them. Using two pairs of socks didn't work.
Like Vinotinto I've seen pilgrims in various kinds of footwear including 'flip-flops' and they all got to Santiago with good feet.
When training try to carry a pack with something like the weight you will carry on the pilgrimage, not just to get used to the weight, but because your stance/posture etc changes with the weight you carry and this will affect your feet.
Don't just concentrate on your feet - your eyes are going to see some beautiful things!
Cheers
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I'll definitely spend money on both good socks and good shoes when I do buy them. Seamless socks would seem a good idea; less places for them to create blisters. =)

Yes, from the pictures I've seen I'll be passing through some amazing places. Which is why I've decided to invest in a new camera. I have a Canon Powershot G3 at the moment, but it's a bit heavy and a little too big. So, I found a great little compact with 10 megapixels and a good zoom, which I think is essential. A Samsung S1050. Also, it runs on AA batteries, which seems like a smarter option when you're travelling. And I guess a lot of the power joints will be used for charging all various types of electronic equipment.

Take care,
Hilda

Hi Hilda,
Just a tip regarding cameras, phones, etc; the Camino is a wonderful place to be and you will meet wonderful people - but don't leave valuable things lying around, eg. when you go for a shower in the refugios - some people slip into the refugios and steal. Pass the word on.

Cheers
Brendan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Brendan,

I'll keep that in mind. Not that I'd leave my camera unattended anywhere though. Don't so much mind if they'd steal the camera, I can replace it. It's the photos that I'd miss.

Take care,
Hilda

Hi All,

This is just a short update, which I should have done a while ago.

I have now bought my tickets for Bilbao, and the return trip from Santiago. I'll be flying down on the 10th of April, and I'll start walking on the 12th, stopping at the Auberge in Orisson so as not to overdo it on the first day.

I have bought most of my equipment; a lightweight backpack (Osprey Talon 44, a blue one for anyone else walking around this time, so you'll recognise me =) ), very lightweight raingear... very lightweight everything for that matter. =) Found some good boots, that I feel I've walked in now, and found a sock combination I think will work to reduce the blister problem.

At the moment I'm trying to study some Spanish, so I won't forget everything I've learnt in school for the past few years.

I'm very glad I found this board and I can't wait to get to Spain and start my journey.
Buen Camino to you all.
Hilda

Hi Hilda,

I thoroughly enjoyed texting down through all the comments/suggestions from fellow pilgrims with great experience...to include your "considered" approach to making Your Camino. I must say, I'm impressed. Impressed in two ways...the sincere and valuable outpouring of insightful and spot on recommendations and, your obvious sense of commitment to make the Camino, your own.

You have your whole life ahead of you and, as you grow older, you will look back on your Camino with a sense of awe and accomplishment.

Over my 62 years, I'm made many acquaintances, but true friends are born of shared experiences above the mundane. You're on your way toward a very special life experience. I hope to see you on the Milky Way!

Buen Camino,
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
" I'll be flying down on the 10th of April, and I'll start walking on the 12th, stopping at the Auberge in Orisson so as not to overdo it on the first day. "
Hi Hilda,
Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time at Orisson - you can do it on the web. If it's full, your next stop is Roncesvalles. Orisson is an enjoyable place to stop. You'll meet some people and have a tasty warm meal. Next time you see those people along the way they'll feel like friends.
On the topic of being shy - it's very liberating to talk with people you that you may never see again. I think that's partly why so many people on the camino are comfortable speaking from their hearts.
On the subject of socks, I have been lucky and never had a blister on the walks. I wear very fine cotton socks and sometimes fine woolen ones over them. I put them inside out so the seams don't rub and every time I stop I take off my boots and put a lavender foot cream on the (no doubt vaseline or almost anything else works just as well). And I frequently change back and forth between two pairs just to keep my feet happy. Your socks need to fit, not rub. Go on long walks and keep trying different combinations until you find what works for you - everybody's feet are different.
Follow this dream and I'll bet you'll be glad you did.
Cecelia

On the topic of socks and other clothing. There are some great hiking socks out there, some expensive "smartwool" and some not so...usually in the 15e price range. The key as Cecelia points out is finding what fits you best. On wearing two pairs, wearing liner socks that wick away moisture and take the movement within are a good option. They are light weight, dry quickly and can be easier to replace on the move. On sleeping gear, silk is fantastic. that said, a good polypro set (such as Under armor) will hold up nicely under the most arduous conditions. Remember, if your toes are warm and your nose is warm...you will be warm.

See you in April, ladies!

Arn

cecelia said:
On the topic of being shy - it's very liberating to talk with people you that you may never see again. I think that's partly why so many people on the camino are comfortable speaking from their hearts.

That's true. I'm an introvert at home, but there's something about travel in general (and the Camino especially so) that brings me out of my shell. Indeed, the best part of the Camino for me was meeting interesting people from all over the world. You all have the pilgrimage in common, so that's a good starting point for conversation.

Plus, you'll find out some interesting things about different nationalities. For example, who knew that Germans could be so fun? At least they are once you get a couple of beers into them and get past their initial reserve... :lol:

Of course, there's a bittersweet aspect of that - due to faster/slower walking speeds, people will come in and out of your walk from beginning to end. But isn't that just like life in general? :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On meeting new folks,

I found on the AT that because it's so long and physically demanding, folks you meet and would really like to keep in contact with on the journey, will: get injured, get discouraged, get home sick, get into another gear...either higher or lower...and that works against establishing close relationships. That said, because there are so many ways to reenter...the surprise "reunions" on the AT can be very heart warming.

Now, in reading the back and forth from those that have already completed their Camino, I'm more excited than ever to start. I look forward to a realistic pace, a roof every night where my fellows don't need to spoon together for warmth or cook over a trail stove. The idea of a pub, or better yet a tap that offers vino to the weary, how good is that!

Arn said:
the surprise "reunions" on the AT can be very heart warming.

My favorite reunion on the Camino was with an old Norwegian man that I met early on. He started in Le Puy, and was going at a slow pace because of his two artificial knees (!). Since I had to go slow for awhile, I tended to run into him quite often. We had a number of nice chats - he was pretty gregarious, and being of Norwegian descent, I enjoyed talking to him all the more.

One day, he fell down the stairs at an albergue, messing up his elbow and hurting his back. Then next day he walked for awhile, but the pain forced him to stop and seek medical attention. I didn't see him for a long time after that, and I was afraid he'd had to abort.

But, lo and behold, a couple days outside of Santiago I ran into him at a cafe! He was OK - despite falling down another set of stairs later on. We caught up, and when I left him we were both in good spirits. It would've been nice to walk into Santiago with him - sort of a Viking charge to take the city (hehe). But that was the last I saw of him...

There were also a couple of nice gals I would've liked to have kept pace with, but they were a bit too vigorous for my 40-year-old bod. I've heard of romance on the Way, and even ran into a couple who had originally met on the Camino. Hmmm...perhaps there should be a thread on that subject...

Arn said:
The idea of a pub, or better yet a tap that offers vino to the weary, how good is that!

Es muy bueno, mi amigo - muy bueno! :wink:

Arn, I really hope we meet somewhere along the way. I'll be there for a month and a half, so there should be many opportunities.

On the sleeping gear, I found a very lightweight (only 400gr) down sleepingbag. It's good to down to 10degrees plus for women. Should be enough, I hope.

Cecilia, I'm using (could they be called compression socks?). Either way, they fit rather tight and are supposed to be good to keep your feet from swelling too much. I use them inside out, because they have some seams near the toes that could probably cause some blisters. They are very slippery and then I have a synthetic blend sock on top of that. It's a running sock that's supposed to prevent you from getting blisters. I hope that's true. Right now I'm also figuring out what type of insole to put in my shoes to give me the best support possible.
And I am planning on booking Orisson ahead, as I heard it's often full.

Vinotinto,
That is true. Hopefully you'll find some friends who pretty much keep to your pace most of the time, so you can get to know them better. I'm hoping that this journey will bring me out of my shell. I can be very talkative, once I start ;).

Hilda

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hilda,

Think of your feet as you would the tires on your car. The kind and type of tread must reflect the road surface, rocky, smooth, icy, etc. You wouldn’t purchase new tires with the improper tread, nor the cheapest. Arriving in Santiago safe and happy is your objective.

The socks you wear on the Camino will have a significant effect on your experience. Like footwear, socks must be chosen carefully.

Step #1: Consider what you already know about the Camino…where you will begin…uphill (down hills follow), hard, soft, muddy, rocky surfaced.

Socks are designed to provide warmth, cushioning and abrasion resistance. Here are the basic categories you have to choose from:
• Liners- Sock liners are thin, lightweight wicking socks designed to be worn right next to your skin. These liners wick sweat away from the surface of your foot to keep you dry and more comfortable. Liners also limit the amount of abrasion between your outer sock and your skin. They are designed to be worn under other socks.
• Midweight hiking/backpacking socks are probably best for the Camino- These socks are designed to provide reliable cushioning and insulation in moderate to cold conditions (April/May). They tend to be thicker and warmer than lightweight hiking socks. Many models have extra padding built into high-impact areas like the heel and the ball of the foot for maximum comfort. These socks should be worn with liners.
Step #2: Consider Your Material Options
• Wool- Wool extremely popular natural sock material. It is warm, cushioning, and retains heat when wet. Wool can take a long time to dry and it can be scratchy next to your skin (NOTE: many new wool options, including mohair, do not have this problem). It can also wear out quickly if not reinforced with other materials. Wool blends (combinations of wool and synthetic materials) are extremely popular because they address many of these problems.
• Synthetic insulating materials- REI(http://www.rei.com) offers a number of man-made materials designed to insulate like wool and wick moisture, without the negatives mentioned above. These materials (Hollofil(R), Thermax(R), Thermastat(R)) trap warmth like wool, but they are softer on the skin. They also dry more quickly and are more abrasion resistant. These materials are available in a variety of sock styles and thicknesses. Another option is "Smartwool", my personal favorite.
• Silk- Silk is a natural insulator. It's comfortable and lightweight, but not as durable.
• Synthetics wicking materials- The synthetic wicking materials (like polypropylene and Coolmax) used in wicking sock liners are often woven into thicker backpacking socks as well, to enhance wicking performance.
• Cotton- 100% cotton is not recommended as a sock material for backpacking. Cotton absorbs sweat, dries slowly, provides no insulation when wet and it can lead to discomfort and blisters.

Step #3: Take a Test Drive

When possible, take a quick walk in the sock styles you are considering to get a feel for how much cushioning they have. And be sure to buy the right size--your socks should fit snugly. Bunched up sock material can make any backpacking trip an uncomfortable one.

On using Compression socks: The key to understanding compression socks lies in their graduated pressure application. Throughout an average day, the body pumps blood to all of the extremities as equally as it can. However, gravity often causes blood to pool in the lower legs and feet, causing circulatory problems. At the very least, all of this blood pooling can cause fatigue and leg cramps, both an annoyance and problem on the Camino. Elevating the legs and feet may alleviate the pain temporarily, but it often returns after a few hours of constant standing or walking.

Compression socks use stronger elastics such as lycra, rubber or spandex to create significant pressure on the legs, ankles and feet. By compressing the surface veins, arteries and muscles, the circulating blood is forced through narrower channels. The arterial pressure is increased, causing more blood to return to the heart and less blood to pool in the feet. Compression socks are tightest at the ankles, gradually become less constrictive towards the knees. The soles of compression socks may be heavily padded for better shock absorption.
Again, back to recommendation #3…take them for a test drive. That’s the only way you will be safely assured you’ve bought the best socks for your Camino.

Arn

atlanticheart said:
I'm hoping that this journey will bring me out of my shell.

After a couple of shots of orujo, the only shell you'll have is the scallop on your pack. :wink: You'll meet tons of cool folks on the Way, and you'll have to spend a lot of time with them. So don't worry - there's something about unisex communal eating, sleeping, and using the same bathrooms that brings people together... :lol:

However, there is something to be said about solitary moments. Ultimately, it's your Camino. There will be times where you are alone by necessity, and when you'll want to be alone by choice. Along with meeting new friends, the alone times are also to be treasured, especially for introverts who need some solitude to recharge. The meseta is great for that sort of thing, as you'll find out firsthand. :arrow:

May I raise a glass :) to Vinotinto's last comments re communal/solitary moments; there is so much space on the Camino both literally and figuratively (is that the right word?) that all can be comfortable if they wish.
The Meseta - I love it(!) big sky, wide open space and I've been lucky enough to cross it as it teemed with flowers, mind you it was also 40 degrees Celsius in the shade (what shade? :? ) and you don't feel much like talking in those conditions!, but the camaraderie in the evening is great.
Buen Camino a todo,
Brendan

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.