• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Alabama

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you! I am so excited. A little worried about my physical preparation. I have been walking 6-7 miles a day but without my pack. It is reaching (and has been), 100 Fahrenheit and I just can’t walk with my pack in the heat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome @Darby ! I left the States many years ago, but I was born and raised in Mobile and occasionally go back there to visit family.

I don't think I've ever met another Alabamian on the Camino before. Most of them tend not to stray far from home, so I'm glad to meet another exception to that rule!

I’m glad you are planning to carry your pack…but, you can also have it transported if needed. Maybe a short first day walk to Matosinhos would be a nice warm up?
In any case, Welcome and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome @Darby ! I left the States many years ago, but I was born and raised in Mobile and occasionally go back there to visit family.

I don't think I've ever met another Alabamian on the Camino before. Most of them tend not to stray far from home, so I'm glad to meet another exception to that rule!
Wow! Were you by any chance related to Linda Werneth?

I have been walking 6-7 miles a day but without my pack. It is reaching (and has been), 100 Fahrenheit and I just can’t walk with my pack in the heat.

Makes sense. I'd say just get the miles in as you can, and add your pack when it's cooler. October in northern Portugal will certainly be a different, cooler environment.

October should be pleasant and warm on the Portuguese Camino. Nothing like the heat you are experiencing now!
I am hoping the walking here in the heat (even without my pack) will be enough preparation. The heat and humidity is very high here and I’m afraid practicing with the pack might not be healthy for me in these conditions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wow! Were you by any chance related to Linda Werneth?
Hmm, I'm related to a Linda White Gulledge on my Dad's side (the Werneth side) of the family, but I can't think of a Linda Werneth at the moment. But we must be related somehow. All the Werneths in Mobile are descendents of two brothers who emigrated from Germany in the 1860s. If she's descended from the other brother, then I may not know her. Small world in any case!

October is a great time to walk north from Porto. I did the same at the beginning of October in 2018. It was still a bit warm at the beginning but cooled down nicely as we got into October.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.