• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Nevada, US

deb56

My husband and I will be walking the final segment of the Camino beginning April 7th. Our plans were to begin at the start and with our limited time complete the entire walk in sections. Unfortunately we purchased our tickets to Madrid without realizing the time involved reaching St Jean Pied de Port from Madrid, therefore not leaving us the time necessary to complete the first section.

So opting to do the final section instead. Perhaps this will give us an idea of what to expect and we can work our way backward to the beginning over time. May be a unique way to experience the walk!

Considering using Macs Adventure services for scheduling private hotel rooms. Is anyone familiar with their services? Any thoughts on that would be helpful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Deb,
Happy New Year and welcome to the forum. A great way to start 2012 is by planning a camino, in my opinion.

Just a few clarifying questions for you -- I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "first section" and the "last section." I know that various companies that lead guided tours break the camino up into different segments, but many of us just walk on our own and are not familiar with these divisions, so if you can be more specific, it'd be helpful.

And the other thing is about transportation. I think you can make it from Madrid to St. Jean in France (or Roncesvalles, across the Pyrenees in Spain) or almost any starting point in Spain in one day, if you arrive early enough in Madrid. I say that only because I'm not really sure that you will have more time to walk if you have to get to a place like Sarria as opposed to Roncesvalles.

I can't help with your question about using a booking company, but I assume it adds a lot to the price, in exchange for the convenience of not having to book yourself. There are lots of online guides to the camino that make it very easy to find places on your own, with email/phone numbers provided (mundicamino.com and the Eroski site, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/, are two of the most helpful even if you don't speak much Spanish).

Happy planning, and buen camino to you and your husband,
Laurie

Peregrina2000 has made some useful observations. I would add two other considerations; booking in advance from a distance and without having tasted the distance-walking Camino experience, you might not have the flexibility you will need to deal with vagaries of weather, blisters, serendipitous discoveries of beautiful towns, and how your daily timetable will be affected by the friendships that you make. If you are staying in albergues (the pilgrims' hostels), it is only possible to reserve bunks at some of the privately-run ones. The advantage of booking rooms in pensions/ casas rurales/ hostales (the confusingly named small hotels of Spain)/ hotels is that you know that your room will be there on your arrival each day, even if you are taking a long stretch, or have taken many breaks along the way.

I do not know this agency at all, but I have run into two who made accommodation choices as blindly as you or I might-- with the web and perhaps a guidebook or two. This company may have staff who have walked the Camino and who would therefore have a much much better idea of the location (remember!! this is on foot!!) and quality of accommodation than they would have from the internet. You may want to verify that. My Spanish is pretty awful, but innkeepers are always helpful in ringing ahead to book you a room for the next night. It is difficult to emphasize how much the Spanish will be of assistance to a pilgrim-- I would not have believed it until I encocuntered it myself.

North Americans often have only one shot at a Camino, so I am reluctant to give you the following advice--- to begin at Roncesvalles or Saint Jean Pied de Port, and go as far as your timetable comfortasbly allows, then come back another year to finish it up, or even get to Santiago by another route. The Navarrese and Riojan stretches of the Camino are delightful and beautiful, and it would be a pity to miss them. It is very much about the walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for your information. Very helpful! It seems we have a lot of researching yet to do. Purchasing our plane fare may have been premature without first realizing the complexity of the journey!

We are considering doing the end or the walk beginning either in Sarria or O'Cebreiro to Santiago. We have 6 full days to walk, hopefully that would allow us to complete that section. We can return at a later date to complete other sections to eventually complete the entirety of the walk. I am very excited for the adventure nonetheless. And I so agree, it is really about the walk.

Hello.

Your post made me smile, because when I think back to my first Camino -- which I did at the last second, after hearing about it 2 weeks before I was going to be in Spain for work -- I was totally unprepared and had no idea what I was in for! But it was fantastic, and that was part of the reason why.

I stayed in private inns and finding those was the trickiest part. However, it can be done. As Oursonpolaire said, the biggest consideration is knowing where you'll end up that night, or picking a spot you're confidant you can reach. Anyway, I suggest first Googling the town for possible accommodations, then checking out sites like TopRural and EscapadaRural, which show great Casa Rurales all over Spain. If you like one and it says they rent the entire house, e-mail anyway. A lot of places prefer to rent the entire house, but will gladly rent a single room to a pilgrim if they have no other bookings. These places are generally very, very lovely and you're only charged a song (like 30 euros/night).

Good luck!
Melanie

Thanks Melanie!
The lodging information is most helpful as we have decided to find our own accommodations! I am very excited and just know this will be a wonderful experience despite any hardship that may arise due to un-preparedness :) Take Care, Deb

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Deb...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

All the foregoing info from other Forum members is right on the money and should give you much food for thought. In that you have but six full days to walk the Way...my assumption is that travel from Santiago back to Madrid is already booked and falls outside the six days. That said, the following link takes you to photos of the final six days from Sarria on to Santiago.

http://www.santiago-compostela.net/frances/en_cf27.html

If receiving a Compostela is important to you, the requirement is you walk at least the last 100 kms and that would be Sarria on.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hi,
John Brierleys guide is pretty good on providing a comprehensive list of accommodation options to suit all budgets and tastes. He provides up to date contact information including e mail and www if available. I'd suggest perhaps booking your accommodation for your first days walking and for the day of your arrival into Santiago so you take the 'bed panic' out of the first day walking and the pressure of finding a room on the last days walking. For the other days you can then let your pace dictate where you stay rather than pre booked accommodation dictating your pace.
Have a wonderful journey.
Nell

Thank-you so much for the helpful and welcoming feedback. I have ordered John Brierleys book just have not received it yet. I like the idea of reserving a room at the beginning and the end of walking and leave some mystery during the middle of our journey on the road. Thanks for all the kindness!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Deb-

I've just come across your post. If you'd like to communicate with American Pilgrims about your plans we'd be pleased to help. info@americanpilgrims.com. You should also be aware that you can obtain your credential from us. If you haven't already done so see americanpilgrims.com.

Hi Debs,

Welcome to the Forum.
If you are walking only the last 100 km i.e. from Sarria to Santiago, and wish to qualify for a credential, the pilgrim office require that you have two stamps (called a SELLO) on your passport each day. You get one where you are sleeping and another can be obtained in a local church ,bar, restaurant etc. etc. It is no problem to get it, but sometimes first time pilgrims are not aware of the requirement.

Buen Camino to you both

Lydia

Thanks for the link to americanpilgrims.com. Looks like lots of great information. Also, thanks for the heads up for two stamps for the passport! So much to know, so little time...thank goodness for this forum. :) Only about 12 weeks to go. From all my research seems my husband and I better be doing some training!! Feeling worried!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.