• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello From The UK

B1nky

Time of past OR future Camino
St. James' Way UK
Camino Ingles(planned)
Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and live not far from the town of Reading, the start of the St. James' Way from Reading to Southampton. I plan on completing this route this year which will then set me up for doing the Camino Ingles later on.

Nice to meet you all :)

Binky

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Binky! I am also from the Berkshire and have just completed the Camino Ingles. Wonderful walk! Let me know if you need any advice, always happy to help ☺️

Hi Binky. Am planning to walk next year from Reading to Southampton please let us know how you get on. This will be my first walk before I walk the frances . Walking solo .and any advice would be most welcomed .buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s a great route that will get better with more people walking it. Definitely stop in at the Reading Cathedral for a stamp and a blessing before you begin. Buen Camino!

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and live not far from the town of Reading, the start of the St. James' Way from Reading to Southampton. I plan on completing this route this year which will then set me up for doing the Camino Ingles later on.

Binky
Hi Binky,my daughter works in Reading and mentioned the backpackers going by her window.I checked up and found this route to Southampton, which re-opened fully last year thanks to the efforts of the CSJ who have placed 500+ shell markers along the way, Fair play to them. I know its 68 miles,with plenty of these direction signs and accommodations,mainly at pubs,who can also issue stamps. Whats not to like?😁. I'm hoping to do that and carry on to Ferrol to then walk the Ingles. I was looking at doing it at the end of this September, but finding the best route is a bit more complicated than I,at first, thought.So now I've decided that this year I'll just go straight to Spain, instead, and do the Ingles, then next year I'll look at the best way to do the whole,extended route from Reading via Southampton and Ferrol to Santiago next year.I'll be interested in how you get on doing the first leg from Reading.
Hi everyone,

Binky

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Binky,my daughter works in Reading and mentioned the backpackers going by her window.I checked up and found this route to Southampton, which re-opened fully last year thanks to the efforts of the CSJ who have placed 500+ shell markers along the way, Fair play to them. I know its 68 miles,with plenty of these direction signs and accommodations,mainly at pubs,who can also issue stamps. Whats not to like?😁. I'm hoping to do that and carry on to Ferrol to then walk the Ingles. I was looking at doing it at the end of this September, but finding the best route is a bit more complicated than I,at first, thought.So now I've decided that this year I'll just go straight to Spain, instead, and do the Ingles, then next year I'll look at the best way to do the whole,extended route from Reading via Southampton and Ferrol to Santiago next year.I'll be interested in how you get on doing the first leg from Reading.

I've walked the first few miles from Reading along the canal to Theale and have done a section around the old Roman town at Silchester. So far everything is well signed. The guidebook from the CSJ is handy and I've also found a google maps of the route online. I'll be going back to where I finished off a few miles from Reading to do things "in the right order" and to stamp my credencial.

There are quite a few public transport links along most parts of the walk so breaking it up into sections to be done as day walks shouldn't be too much of an issue, as I'm lucky enough to live locally returning home each night works out cheaper than booking accomodation.

Accommodation is an issue in both price and availability on the signposted route. The CSJ guidebook is good, but it’s really written for those using transit to return “home” after each stage and needs modification for a through-hiker. That said, it’s a lively route and should grow in popularity as folks discover it.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.