• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello! I’m new here…

JaneyWindsor

Time of past OR future Camino
28 August 2023 Portuguese Coastal Camino
…and walking the Camino Portuguese (Coastal) at the end of August. This will be my first Camino. I’m lucky to have a few friends who have done various Caminos and have shared their wisdom with me.

I’m still keen to hear from others who have done the route I intend - and any advice or comment gratefully received!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
…and walking the Camino Portuguese (Coastal) at the end of August. This will be my first Camino. I’m lucky to have a few friends who have done various Caminos and have shared their wisdom with me.

I’m still keen to hear from others who have done the route I intend - and any advice or comment gratefully received!
There are many people in this Forum who would be happy to help you, but this is actually a vast topic to explore and it would help if you have some specific questions.

Welcome to the forum, I have never done the Portuguese way, but there are plenty of Peregrinos with that experience here. We’re here to help in any way! BUEN CAMINO

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @JaneyWindsor and welcome.
I returned from the Portuguese Camino just over a week ago. I started from Porto on the Coastal and walked to Caminha. There I took the Minho River Path (on the recommendation of the hostelero) to get a little more shade. This picked up the Central çamino in Valença. I followed this until Porteverde and then took the Variante Espiritual, rejoining the Central just before Padron. Although I had intended to walk the coastal the entire way, I'm glad that I switched to enjoy a wider variety of scenery.
Whichever you choose,
Buen Camino

I returned from the Portuguese Camino just over a week ago. I started from Porto on the Coastal and walked to Caminha. There I took the Minho River Path (on the recommendation of the hostelero) to get a little more shade. This picked up the Central çamino in Valença. I followed this until Porteverde and then took the Variante Espiritual, rejoining the Central just before Padron. Although I had intended to walk the coastal the entire way, I'm glad that I switched to enjoy a wider variety of scenery.
Whichever you choose,
Buen Camino
We are walking part of the coastal route, leaving from Porto, at the beginning of September. If you stayed in alberques, did you book your accommodations in advance?

We are walking part of the coastal route, leaving from Porto, at the beginning of September. If you stayed in alberques, did you book your accommodations in advance?
I booked in Porto to make sure I had a place to stay as I had to go via Decathlon for poles. Porto itself wasn't that busy as I met pilgrims who had stayed in Porto in other albergues and none had been full. I booked a couple of others on route (once after 40 kms with a wrecked blister and I had to stop) and one where I didn't, sent us up the road to a friend's house but we were still welcome to use the albergue facilities. There will be fewer locals walking so you should be fine. Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi Janey,
Me and my wife walked the coastal last year in May it was our first Camino and what an experience it was!
We started from Porto and followed the Litoral which is a little closer to the coast, sometimes switchen between Litoral and Costa, at Pontevedra we turner of to the Spiritual which was fantastic.
We both loved the mix of litoral, Costa, a little central and the Spiritual.
We stayed at guesthouses and small hotels,
any recommondations on that part i´m glad to help
Buen Camino!

Hi Janey,
Me and my wife walked the coastal last year in May it was our first Camino and what an experience it was!
We started from Porto and followed the Litoral which is a little closer to the coast, sometimes switchen between Litoral and Costa, at Pontevedra we turner of to the Spiritual which was fantastic.
We both loved the mix of litoral, Costa, a little central and the Spiritual.
We stayed at guesthouses and small hotels,
any recommondations on that part i´m glad to help
Buen Camino!
Hi,

Thanks for your response! Great to hear you enjoyed your first Camino.
I’d be really grateful for your guesthouses/small hotel recommendations on the routes.
Thanks so much, Janey

Hi,

I’d be really grateful for your guesthouses/small hotel recommendations on the routes.
Thanks so much, Janey
Also. I’m looking at the Camino Espirituel now - do you have a contact/website for the boat service? Much appreciated

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also. I’m looking at the Camino Espirituel now - do you have a contact/website for the boat service? Much appreciated
You probably need to contact them the day before you need it. I arrived at Vilanova de Arousa late in the day and could not get a trip the following day, but there are likely to be fewer travellers. You can book in an office more or less opposite the bridge. As it happened, a day mooching around without my rucksack was very welcome. Enjoy

These are the accomodations we loved, depends on where you intend to stay ofcourse:

Siglas & Runas II / Povoa de Varzim
Sun & Sand Guesthouse / Esposende
Pensao O Laranjeira / Viana do Castelo
Casa Puertas at Oia
A filla do Mar / Arcade (hostel with small swimming pool)
Albergue Hostel Nuestra Senora del Camino / Combarro
Carballo de Prado 1900 / Armenteira (off the camino but host collects you at the monastery and back next morning)
Os Lambrans / Padron (bit off route)

the boat from Vilanova de Arousa we booked on line via :

Hi,

Thanks so much, Janey
Me again - I’m now looking at the Camino Espiritual. Do you have a contact/website for the boat service from Vilanova
These are the accomodations we loved, depends on where you intend to stay ofcourse:

Casa Puertas at Oia
Carballo de Prado 1900 / Armenteira (off the camino but host collects you at the monastery and back next morning)

Hi Christel/Marc,

I can’t thank you enough for this.

After reading your initial response I looked into the Variante Espirituel and rehashed my itinerary so I could do this 🙏🏻

Your link to the boat service is invaluable - thanks again 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I’m already booked in at a couple of places you mention, including Os Lambráns, Casas Pueryas and Filo - so good to see you recommend them.

Thanks so much for your time. Very grateful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me again - I’m now looking at the Camino Espiritual. Do you have a contact/website for the boat service from Vilanova

Hi Christel/Marc,

I can’t thank you enough for this.

After reading your initial response I looked into the Variante Espirituel and rehashed my itinerary so I could do this 🙏🏻

Your link to the boat service is invaluable - thanks again 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I’m already booked in at a couple of places you mention, including Os Lambráns, Casas Pueryas and Filo - so good to see you recommend them.

Thanks so much for your time. Very grateful.
You´re very welcome, have a great Camino !

Casa Puertas at Oia

This is great information. Thank you for posting

Are you planning to do a live report? Would love to follow you to see how it all works outs? Walking next year!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

Thanks so much, Janey
I would also appreciate your information on guesthouses and small hotel recommendations on the Portuguese Camino, especially north of Porto. I am new to this blog and wondering: How do we go about communicating? Just send the information here? Or ….?
Muita obrigada.
Susan

I would also appreciate your information on guesthouses and small hotel recommendations on the Portuguese Camino, especially north of Porto. I am new to this blog and wondering: How do we go about communicating? Just send the information here? Or ….?
Muita obrigada.
Susan
Hi Susan,

These were the ones recommended to me:
Casa Puertas at Oia
Buen Camino

Casa Puertas at Oia

thanks for sharing!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Susan,

These were the ones recommended to me:
Casa Puertas at Oia
Buen Camino
Thank you so much, Janey.
I appreciate your sending this out.
Bom Camino,
Susan
(Practicing Portuguese)

Whichever you choose,
Buen Camino
Sue127, which side of the river did you walk on? The Caminha side or the A guarda side?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back