• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello, my first walk

Grandma-Annie

Time of past OR future Camino
My first adventure 2014
Hello walkers, I'm planning my first Camino de Santiago walk, (if only I had known about this walk a few years ago) as I have arthritis in my hip I feel I can't do the routes with steep, high hill climbs. Please give me your knowledge and advice, is there a better way than the one I have concocted?

I've read the book A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino de Santiago, I feel I can only walk the listed route 30 through 33 (this year, ever the optimistic!). My plan is to fly to Leon and enjoy a couple of days just wondering around, hopefully meeting some walkers and listen to their stories. From Leon I plan on taking a train towards Santiago. Can anyone tell me how far I can take the train? I want to start the walk from Portomarin. Your advice is most well come, this first time walker is determined to walk as many miles as her tired body will allow. Thanks guys.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi GA!

I will leave specifics to those with experience, but wanted to wish you well. There are many of us whose Caminos will bear little resemblance to any distances or stages you read about.

Ours are probably just as interesting, life changing and challenging. Your Camino, your way. Hopefully you will get some good insight and ideas from those who know the path intimately and can help you find the approach best for you.

Lynda

You can get a bus from Sarria to Portomarin. You can get trains or buses to Sarria through Lugo from many points.

upload_2014-2-16_6-4-22.png

One of the most sustained climbs on the Camino is out of Portomarin, so you have not chosen a segment that will be easy on your hip! The final day into Santiago requires a pretty good climb up to the TV station before Monte do Gozo. Actually, there are healthy climbs on all segments except in the meseta, where there is one of the most aerobic climbs of the Camino when leaving Castrojeriz, twenty minutes that seems like two hours, then you descend almost as rapidly.

Be sure you know what your hip can do before you set out. Ten kilometers from nowhere will be the wrong place to discover that you are overmatched by the excursion!:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also suggest you learn to use the public bus and taxi services all along the Camino.
I also suggest the bus over the train in most cases.
The buses in Spain are awesome!
A taxi shouldn't cost you more than 1 to 1.5 euros per kilometer.
Make your deal before getting into the cab.

On some stretches, it may be best to taxi FIRST and then walk into the village of your destination.

Much of the climb out of Portomarin can be avoided by walking on the road FACING the traffic.
I've walked this many times and there is not much traffic at all.
In fact, last year, I think I saw a total of 10 cars the entire stretch.
Just move off the road to let them safely pass.

But the posters are correct.
There are many climbs on most sections of the Camino except the meseta.
So if your goal is simply to walk, you may want to choose a section on the meseta.
If your goal is to get your Compostela, begin from Sarria and take half-stages.
You could actually fly into Santiago and take a bus to Sarria.

I would suggest the following half-stages:

Sarria to Casa Morgade (make a reservation) or Ferrerios (no reservations)
Then to Portomarin (steep steep descent at the very end; then a climb up steep stairs)
Then to Ligonde (nice small albergue no reservations) or Eirexe (reservations in nice guest house)
Then to Palas de Rei
Then to Melide (lots of great albergues and guest houses)
Then to Arzua (there is a climb at the end here - plenty of lodging) or the closer Casteneda (taxi into Arzua next day 6 kilometers)
Then to Arco do Pino (fairly flat walk) (I like Pension Maribel or Pension Arca)
Then either all the way to Santiago (if you're up to it) or stop at Lavacolla or Villamaior and rest for the climb tomorrow morning)

This makes 8 days of walking, splitting up the more difficult days into two.

I also suggest you learn to use the public bus and taxi services all along the Camino.
I also suggest the bus over the train in most cases.
The buses in Spain are awesome!
A taxi shouldn't cost you more than 1 to 1.5 euros per kilometer.
Make your deal before getting into the cab.

On some stretches, it may be best to taxi FIRST and then walk into the village of your destination.

Much of the climb out of Portomarin can be avoided by walking on the road FACING the traffic.
I've walked this many times and there is not much traffic at all.
In fact, last year, I think I saw a total of 10 cars the entire stretch.
Just move off the road to let them safely pass.

But the posters are correct.
There are many climbs on most sections of the Camino except the meseta.
So if your goal is simply to walk, you may want to choose a section on the meseta.
If your goal is to get your Compostela, begin from Sarria and take half-stages.
You could actually fly into Santiago and take a bus to Sarria.

I would suggest the following half-stages:

Sarria to Casa Morgade (make a reservation) or Ferrerios (no reservations)
Then to Portomarin (steep steep descent at the very end; then a climb up steep stairs)
Then to Ligonde (nice small albergue no reservations) or Eirexe (reservations in nice guest house)
Then to Palas de Rei
Then to Melide (lots of great albergues and guest houses)
Then to Arzua (there is a climb at the end here - plenty of lodging) or the closer Casteneda (taxi into Arzua next day 6 kilometers)
Then to Arco do Pino (fairly flat walk) (I like Pension Maribel or Pension Arca)
Then either all the way to Santiago (if you're up to it) or stop at Lavacolla or Villamaior and rest for the climb tomorrow morning)

This makes 8 days of walking, splitting up the more difficult days into two.

Thank you AnnieSantiago

You have been so helpfull, all your points have been taken on board, I do want to walk as much as possible. Taxi is such a good idea and I will use. Now to learn more Spanish! I will re-read your post and will get back to you if that's OK?

Hay I lived in Portland and Oregon City, a good omen ;p)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GA!

I will leave specifics to those with experience, but wanted to wish you well. There are many of us whose Caminos will bear little resemblance to any distances or stages you read about.

Ours are probably just as interesting, life changing and challenging. Your Camino, your way. Hopefully you will get some good insight and ideas from those who know the path intimately and can help you find the approach best for you.

Lynda

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back