• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello starting SJPDP May 11, 2022

rabtacoma

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Leon to Santiago October 2019
Hello--Bill and Renee, in our sixties, will travel from Seattle, USA (Via Paris) to SJPDP and begin on May 11, 2022 to Leon. We completed Leon to Santiago in October 2019. Looking forward to the first half but still in awe over Galicia. From Leon we will transfer to Santiago for Pentecost (June 5) and fly home from there (via FRA). Lessons learned from first Camino: slow down, take rest days, build up core muscles pre-trip, "the better shape you are in-- the more enjoyment', savor the vino at night and the OJ and caffe in the morning.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys.. just wanted to say hello and ask....Im hopefully going from Leon to Santiago next April/May. Not sure about how it will go as my knee isnt great at the moment but am working on just getting fit by walking walking walking. Ive heard mixed info about the hills after Leon though... any tips would be gratefully received by this upcoming 60 year old!! Thanks heaps and Buen Camino!!!

@Barney12 , I did the same stages with the same problem; and I am in my sixties, too. Alas, knees are as different as persons, but to me, the two difficult sections were the descent from O Cebreiro, and the awful descent to Molinaseca (not long, but steep, with loose gravel). Sticks helped a lot; I used also a light knee brace. Just go slowly and enjoy your walk.
If you feel your knee is aching, do a shorter stage and/or consider a backpack transfer service (all private albergues offer that, ask the hospitalero).
End of April, beginning or May, you can expect some rain and muddy paths. Galicia is so green for a reason...
Buen camino!
(edited: I wrote "El acebo" instead of "O Cebreiro". Really! I need to come back to the Camino to refresh my memories.)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much Felipe.. yes downhill is the issue.. I usually try and zigzag for this and use my poles which seems to take the pressure off the knee. New knee in the future but am determined to do SOME of the CF before surgery!! :)

Hello--Bill and Renee, in our sixties, will travel from Seattle, USA (Via Paris) to SJPDP and begin on May 11, 2022 to Leon. We completed Leon to Santiago in October 2019. Looking forward to the first half but still in awe over Galicia. From Leon we will transfer to Santiago for Pentecost (June 5) and fly home from there (via FRA). Lessons learned from first Camino: slow down, take rest days, build up core muscles pre-trip, "the better shape you are in-- the more enjoyment', savor the vino at night and the OJ and caffe in the morning.
Hello Bill and Renee, we are starting May 18 from St. Jean Pied de Porte. We are celebrating our 60th birthdays. We are going all the way in one trip. I can’t wait!
Lisa and Jeannine

Hello Bill and Renee, we are starting May 18 from St. Jean Pied de Porte. We are celebrating our 60th birthdays. We are going all the way in one trip. I can’t wait!
Lisa and
Lisa and Jeannine
What a great way to celebrate your birthdays! Congratulations. I’ll be turning 60 in March too (my husband will be 66 then).
I’m excited to go back. We’ll now be leaving on May 12 and going a little slower this time, with more rest days, so you guys may catch up with us. We’re no experts but if I can ever answer any questions feel free to private message me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lisa and Jeannine
I plan on starting from SJPP the day before Bill and Renee. I have it all planned out (as best as one can) to arrive in Santiago on my 65th birthday. This has been 10 years in the making. I originally was going to do this for my 55th birthday but work and life got in the way. Same for my 60th birthday. Now that I'm in partial retirement, it looks like 65 is the magic number! If all works out, I will meet my wife about 100 miles from Santiago and we'll do the last part together.

Lannea here. Starting May 11 as well. Buen Camino.

We're from Camas, WA (closer to Portland) and starting May 4. But we're taking the slow route so we may cross paths at some point. If you see two pilgrims with Pacific Northwest hats you may have found us.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We're from Camas, WA (closer to Portland) and starting May 4. But we're taking the slow route so we may cross paths at some point. If you see two pilgrims with Pacific Northwest hats you may have found us.

Buen Camino!
Due to an unexpected surgery we had to postpone our Camino until September. Enjoy the spring flowers!

Lannea here. Starting May 11 as well. Buen Camino.

Buen Camino!
You have both tagged on to a thread from last year. If you'd like to add yourselves to the list of those starting in May click here.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.