• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello

Janspex

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
Hi , I’m from Aberdeen Scotland and hoping to do my first Camino in May 2019 but worried. Going solo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May is the busiest month so you will have no trouble walking within sight of others if you want. What route are you planning?

Janspex, I'm not sure where you may have read that particular post but there are a number of discussions about that very issue on this site. The prevailing belief among folks who may have done several pilgrimages (both men and women) is that a solo camino is quite safe for those who do it. Remember, it takes some thinking ahead and the potential is always available to travel in a group when you begin to feel a bit hesitant. I am a male who travels solo most of the time and have joined with a group now and again. As I have posted before, on several occasions a female pilgrim has joined me or the group I was with until she felt more comfortable. You should always practice safe stuff, male or female, and always remember that you can join others as you might need. If you are going to Spain / France, Buen Camino. If you're headed to Portugal, Bom Caminho!!

Just read a post saying it’s not safe for solo women ?
Janspex, I'm not sure where you may have read that particular post but there are a number of discussions about that very issue on this site. The prevailing belief among folks who may have done several pilgrimages (both men and women) is that a solo camino is quite safe for those who do it. Remember, it takes some thinking ahead and the potential is always available to travel in a group when you begin to feel a bit hesitant. I am a male who travels solo most of the time and have joined with a group now and again. As I have posted before, on several occasions a female pilgrim has joined me or the group I was with until she felt more comfortable. You should always practice safe stuff, male or female, and always remember that you can join others as you might need. If you are going to Spain / France, Buen Camino. If you're headed to Portugal, Bom Caminho!!
Thankyou

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi , I’m from Aberdeen Scotland and hoping to do my first Camino in May 2019 but worried. Going solo
Hi Janspex, we are from Glasgow and are currently planning our next Camino for May 2019 ( like on or around 18/19 May 2019), definitely the Portuguese route you are more than welcome to pm us, we still have plans to make, however, you will not be alone on a Camino. Bom Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aww thank you , I’m still in the early stages of planning but same dates !!

Hi Janspex I'm going in Sept this year on my own. Second camino on my own. You will be fine. To be honest I think it's part of the process of facing your fears and overcoming them. You will feel so empowered by your trip. Most times you will have other pilgrams around and the odd time your on your own I'm sure you will also enjoy. You can also choose to walk with others all the time if you wish. There is always someone on the camino happy to chat and walk. Buen camino

Hi janspex,
I have always walked solo and I am not a young woman.
I have found other pilgrims very kind and open if you do not want to walk alone . There is a camaraderie in sharing the way that is unique..
You will see

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, look! Hardly opened your mouth and look at all the positive words going your way, hen! And what’s more, a pair of Glesca folk even offering for you to hang on to them! You did the right thing to share your worry. Look at the threads dealing with the subject, and then when you are walking, use your loaf and you will be just fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.