• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help for first time pilgrim!

dara danilson

Time of past OR future Camino
This is my first adventure!
I am beginning my first pilgrimage on the "Way" in September from SJ to Santiago de Compostela...500 hundred miles! I have never been so excited...or terrified. I'm a 56 year old woman, in moderately good shape, who thought walking the dog 6 miles a day was exercise until I read these blogs. 4 weeks to get in shape! New boots to break in and a backpack to carry that isn't a daypack full of bottled water and energy bars. I've researched the heck out of everything, and have decided it all comes down to a leap of faith...so here I go...with a few reservations I'm hoping my fellow pilgrims can answer.

1. How in the heck do you get a reservation in Orisson??? Tried, failed...am trying again. Will share a room if anyone is willing??? And a taxi to St. Jean.
2. Will it be hard to find accommodations along the 'way'??? A bed worry free of creepy crawlies would be nice. And, food...I'm a vegetarian and Jewish...which pretty much rules out the bacon lard and chunks of meat tossed into the veggie Spanish soups and stews...I'd be happy with rice and steam veggies...and coffee...and chocolate.
3. Clothes-I'm packing lite, but do I really need a sleeping bag???
4. recommendations for boots??? and walking sticks? One pilgrim mentioned poles with straps that fit your hands, and gloves for the early morning hours...and the rain.
5. Last and final question (probably lying on that one) - My Spanish is a bit rusty (name, bathroom, food are about it), will this be a problem???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dara,
Welcome to the forum. Of all your questions, I suggest figuring out the footwear asap so you have plenty of time to wear them on your training walks. Your feet have to be happy!

If you scroll down to the Equipment section you will find a red peg, very popular thread on the eternal question of boots or shoes. It has quite a range of opinions about options and specific brands. Equipment is also the place to look for opinions about sleeping bag vs. sleep sack at various times of the year. And, the same section will have threads about hiking poles. It's a goldmine!

Here's a link to a Vegetarian food thread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vegetarian-food.416 from the Food section of Miscellaneous. Pork is very common and "vegetarian" often seems to mean that meat is not the primary ingredient. (Miscellaneous also has a red peg section about blister control in the Medical section).

You'll be fine without Spanish, but speak as much as you can.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Question: When are you planning on going? Might depend on the sleepingbag yes/no question. But a sleepingbag is also something you prefer or don't.Make your going in july/august. Then you might be ok with just a liner to sleep in.
So many opinions on this subject, but i guess it all comes down to preference (and if you wnat to stay clear form albergue blankets as much as possible)

Boots or shoes. Try 'm both and take what feels best for you. The camino does not NEED boots. Your feet need the most comfy thing for you.

It is easy enough to find a good place to sleep. Lots of albergues around and there is always a bed for you, somewhere.

Poles: Lots use 'm. Maybe even the majority. I dont, but.... on some downhill occasions they could have come in handy, but only because i had developed some foot/shin problems.

Even with rusty Spanish you'll be fine. Many pilgrims around that speak spanish and can help and even more that might speak it worse then you. Dont worry about this.

Orrison? Reservation? I dont know. I walk to Roncesvalles in one go, but orrison is very popular, so you have to be on time to make that reservation. If it doesn't work, then there are, so i believe, one or two other options, but if all fails, you walk to Roncesvalles in one go. More people (of all ages and fitnesslevels) do this then there are beds in Orisson, so you won't be the only one :)

Food--walked a lot with two Vegetarians and they were NOT happy with the meals. On the other hand they did confince one albergue to make an entire Pilgrim meal vegetarian just to make the rest of us try a complete meal with no meat.

Spain is probably the least vegetarian friendly country I know. Although the fresh fruit and vegetables are very good.
I did a quick web search for "vegan spain" and found lots of results, you should be able to get some info online.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Be sure to call your bank, let them know you will be using your card abroad, when and where.
Make sure your passport is not within 6 months of expiring.
6 miles a day is plenty, this is not a race, start slow and you will get in better shape as you go farther.
Light sleeping bag or liner.
Pack light, plan on having fun

Buen Camino

"Snake"

An alternative to Orisson is to stay at Hunto which is not far out of St Jean but does break the back of the walk to Roncesvalles - it is all uphill from St Jean to Hunto. You can reserve. Here's a link: http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/. If you stay ask for demi-pension (dinner bed and breakfast) she's a wonderful cook.
The other alternatives are to walk via Valcarlos which is also a lovely route, or to start in Roncesvalles which is the traditional starting place for Spanish pilgrims, and steeped in history.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am beginning my first pilgrimage on the "Way" in September from SJ to Santiago de Compostela...500 hundred miles! I have never been so excited...or terrified. I'm a 56 year old woman, in moderately good shape, who thought walking the dog 6 miles a day was exercise until I read these blogs. 4 weeks to get in shape! New boots to break in and a backpack to carry that isn't a daypack full of bottled water and energy bars. I've researched the heck out of everything, and have decided it all comes down to a leap of faith...so here I go...with a few reservations I'm hoping my fellow pilgrims can answer.

1. How in the heck do you get a reservation in Orisson??? Tried, failed...am trying again. Will share a room if anyone is willing??? And a taxi to St. Jean.
2. Will it be hard to find accommodations along the 'way'??? A bed worry free of creepy crawlies would be nice. And, food...I'm a vegetarian and Jewish...which pretty much rules out the bacon lard and chunks of meat tossed into the veggie Spanish soups and stews...I'd be happy with rice and steam veggies...and coffee...and chocolate.
4. recommendations for boots??? and walking sticks? One pilgrim mentioned poles with straps that fit your hands, and gloves for the early morning hours...and the rain.
5. Last and final question (probably lying on that one) - My Spanish is a bit rusty (name, bathroom, food are about it), will this be a problem???

Hi Dara

You'll be fine on most accounts!

1. If you can't get in at Orisson:
a. People have assured me that you can keep walking to Roncesvalles and will survive. I haven't tried it! (Edit - see Kanga's comment below. You have to be fit, and even Orisson to Roncesvalles is challenging if you're not prepared. That includes good wet weather gear ánd mental attitude.)
b. Walk Valcarlos route and sleep in Valcarlos
c. Sleep at Hunto
d. Walk to Orisson, take taxi back to Saint Jean, return by taxi to Orisson the next morning and carry on walking.

2. I'll pass on the vegetarian question - it has been answered already.
Sleeping tips:
a. Be aware that albergue rooms are often quite warm and stuffy, because inevitably there will be someone who will keep shutting all the windows.
b. You can buy anti-bedbug treated sleeping bags and liners from Lifeventure in the UK.
I have the 900g down bag and found it too warm in April and May this year. If I could choose again I'd buy the 600g summer bag.
c. Remember ear plugs.
d. I would like to reassure you about beds. I cannot guarantee a comfy room every night. I have seen people sleep on the floor in albergues. However, you can reduce the stress by avoiding the most popular stops as in the Brierley guide, by stopping relatively early, and by occasionally booking ahead if the options are limited.
3. Sleeping bag - see above. Some people walk with just a liner. There are few places without blankets but they do exist. I have made use of these blankets and survived. They aren't always brand new or fresh.
4. Boots or shoes - personal preference. BUT it has to be light weight and comfortable, well broken in by the time you hit the trail. Be prepared for your feet to swell significantly and buy the shoes a size bigger than normal, make up for this by varying the thickness of socks.
There are very good discussions on the forum about walking poles. I am a fan of poles. Get the ones with wide adjustable straps and learn how to use them correctly.
I had thick waterproof gloves and they saved me on the Napoleon route when we had sleet, driving rain and ice.
However, after Roncesvalles I didn't really need them again.
A good tip for hiking poles is to wear cycling gloves - fingerless with good padding on the palms of your hands. They also protect your hands against the sun. They gave me just the right level of warmth in the cool mornings as well.
5. You can get by with rudimentary Spanish, however don't give up - you can still achieve a lot with programs like Duolingo, and the list in the Brierley book and "Camino Lingo". The Camino is more fun when you try.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I think most people can walk directly to Roncesvalles if the alternative is a night on the mountain. The problem is that unless a person is mentally prepared and very fit, and I mean very, the experience can break the body or the spirit. Walking that distance is not a training exercise. People stagger on to Pamplona but then take the bus.

Hi Dara, Like you, I'm also a newbe and will start from Pamplona about 19th Sept. so I'm taking a sleeping bag as it will be cooler by the end of the walk. (Is "walk" the right word?) The following answers are part own experience/part others experience
- boots - helps if your toes have a bit of room to move up and down heightwise (not longways). This can help prevent bruised and/or missing toe nails
- poles - I love em. Use two as this helps to give a more even gait and saves your knees. Also makes the ascents easier. Straps help too. If you haven't yet bought poles, consider ones that telescope (easier to pack with luggage) and made from carbon - if your budget allows. These type are expensive but very light.
Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.