• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Help stuck at Madrid Barajas

Alyssa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2014)
Norte, Finisterre, Salvador, Primitivo (2015)
Hi,

I missed the 1045 bus from Barajas but can't understand the ticket vendor at the airport (despite speaking Spanish ). She keeps telling me I need to go to Avenida to get a bus to Zarragoza and that the timetable on Movelia isn't correct. Any suggestions?

P.S. This issue has been resolved (see below). : )

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly I couldn't understand what she was suggesting and we both became quite frustrated. Finally I bought a Lebaramobile SIM as they were selling them right by the Alsa booth. Called Istvan at Corazon who suggested taking a train and looked up the timetable for me. I am now on RENFE headed toward Atocha where I will catch a train to Pamplona instead of the bus.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I missed the 1045 bus from Barajas but can't understand the ticket vendor at the airport (despite speaking Spanish ). She keeps telling me I need to go to Avenida to get a bus to Zarragoza and that the timetable on Movelia isn't correct. Any suggestions?

ALSA buses to Pamplona leave from Madrid Avenida de America. Avenida de America is a metro and bus station. Some but not all buses to Pamplona stop at the T4 airport on their route. A transfer is often required, usually at Soria but sometimes at Zaragosa.

The vendor was telling you that your best option to catch the next bus to Pamplona was to go to Avenida de America and that there would be a transfer required at Zaragosa (probably the destination plate on the bus).

Usually, the best source of information is the service provider's website. Movelia isn't the service provider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ALSA buses to Pamplona leave from Madrid Avenida de America. Avenida de America is a metro and bus station. Some but not all buses to Pamplona stop at the T4 airport on their route. A transfer is often required, usually at Soria but sometimes at Zaragosa.

The vendor was telling you that your best option to catch the next bus to Pamplona was to go to Avenida de America and that there would be a transfer required at Zaragosa (probably the destination plate on the bus).

Usually, the best source of information is the service provider's website. Movelia isn't the QUOTE= provider.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. One of the Forum members had written on their website: "Conda is another bus company that takes people from the Madrid airport to Pamplona... There are Conda buses going to directly to Pamplona. No stops. No changes. Check schedules at www.movelia.es." Relying on that information I became confused by what I was being told by the vendor who kept telling me Conda and Alsa we're run by the same company and that there were no direct buses; as you mentioned, she kept trying to explain there was a stop in Zaragoza. Of course having traveled all night I was exhausted and out of it.

Poor woman...she tried! Anyway tAking the train to Atocha was easy and the train to Pamplona is comfy and quick. All's well that ends well!

(I also should have printed out the various other transportation options mentioned here on this forum, many of them by you, Whari, and taken them with me as a backup. Lesson learned!)

Last edited:
Conda (Compania Navarra de Autobuses) is owned by ALSA and Algreda Automovil SA.
http://www.conda.es/quienes-somos.php?tipo=2&id=382

ALSA is in turn owned by National Express.

I think the CONDA brand continues to exist because it is a political flagship for the Navarra Region.

I am pleased to read you are having a nice train trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just think that train is better than bus!
I live in Madrid and next 1th of July I will go by train , is faster and confortable that way you would get in good shape to Pamplona !
Have a good Camino and be open any unexpected changes that happens !
Enjoy and go with the flow , let yourself be taken !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I chose to take the airport bus from Barajas direct to Atocha - cost only a few Euros - and I was not prepared to figure out how to use and pay the metro. (For those not in the know, Atocha is the main railway station in Madrid.)

- I arrived late and had planned to spend the night in Madrid - if your situation will be the same, I would advise you to immediately get your next day ticket and seat reservation for Pamplona when you get to Atocha (mind you: ticket selling stops at 10 pm).

Another hint: There are lots of nice but rather expensive hotels at the 'nice' side of Atocha where the airport bus docks. But if you exit on the other side of the station, you will find streets with a great number of very nice 'pensiones' at a very reasonable price - some even with en suite (well, anyway the one I had). Look for the signs on buildings - sometimes high up - but just ring the bell.

annelise

I am guessing she was trying to tell you the 1045 bus was sold out, but that you could catch a bus leaving from Estacion Avenida Las Americas with a connection in Zaragoza (transbordo). To get to Avenida Las Americas you get on Bus No.1 from Barajas (they loop around every 10 munutes) , about 2 Euros, about a 10 minutes ride. Very easy. Love the buses in Spain, clean, comfortable, nice scenery, cheaper, RELIABLE, and very convenient itineraries. ALSA buses leaving from the airport are just incredibly convenient!

This is why: 1) I never buy train/buses ahead of time when arriving transatlantic, and 2) I always have Contingency Plans B, C, and D!

All is well! have a Buen Camino!

Hi,

You need to go to a different terminal to get the busses that go north, to the Camino. I think it is Terminal 4 but it would be best to ask someome. There you can buy your ticket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.