• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues at SJPP

Umi

Time of past OR future Camino
2024, May
At the pilgrimage office at the starting point SJPP would I be able to get a referral for an albergue where I can be sure to stay for the day? I have heard that sjpp is very busy, so should I book an Albergue to stay at SJPP in advance before I head out on my pilgrimage? If so, can you recommend a cheap alberuge at SJPP? Also, is it possible to make reservations online? Are most of the albergue along the pilgrimage route basically booked by phone? I am wondering how pilgrims who do not speak Spanish make reservations.

Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
SJPDP does get very busy in peak seasons - around Easter, May and September. It would be a good idea to reserve for there. Probably also Roncesvalles and Zubiri/Larrasoaña. After that people are better spread out and overcrowding is less of an issue. Many private albergues can be booked online. Often through booking.com. I suggest you look at the Gronze website which has very comprehensive information on albergues along with details of phone numbers, email and websites.

When are you going? I always make reservations through to Pamplona. After Pamplona there are more accommodations options and you develop your own rhythm. If you are going in spring or fall I would definitely book. I worked in SJPdP in April and everyday we had many pilgrims wandering around trying to find accommodations. I would not focus on cheap as it’s usually more expensive in France and many include dinner and breakfast. I would focus on the experience. For me, I am so grateful I also have stayed at Beilari, where Joseph starts my Camino off in a special way. He has a wonderful dinner cooked with love and breakfast to get you on your way. Last year it was 43 euro all inclusive. They are closed now and open for reservations on Jan 15.
I also suggest that you make a reservation for Orisson or Borda for a short but steep first day, unless you are sure you are physically prepared to go on to to Roncesvalles. In any case, I love to stay there as I have developed many lifelong friends at Beilari/Orisson/Borda.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would highly recommend making a reservation for your first few days ahead of time: in SJPP, Borda or Orisson, and Roncesvalles. Then book only one day in advance - that helped me because I wasn’t physically able to continue to the next town if albergues were filled. I booked using WhatsApp and I sent them a message in English. I used the Wise Camino app to do my research of reviews and find phone numbers. If they responded in Spanish then I would use my Google translate app to copy and paste my response back to them in Spanish. I had no problems conversing with any of the albergues.

You can find listings of albergues and other accommodations on Gronze.com for all of the towns on the Camino. The listings tell if the properties accept reservations or not (most private albergues do, but municipal and parochial albergues usually do not), contact information, and for those that use booking.com there is a direct link to that site. Gronze is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Three weeks ago I stayed in Refuge Le Chemin ver l'Etoile, 21, rue d' Espagne in old town Saint Jean Pied de Port. 14 euros. Clean, nice and friendly. Two bunkbeds in each room. +33(5) 59 37 20 71 and +33 (6) 70 20 82 13 and eric.viotte@gmail.com. A good, filling breakfast is 5 euros extra. Eric is going to close for the winter soon but will reopen in March. I bet he will answer the phone and email all winter. The Pilgrim Office is up the street. Buen Camino

Also, is it possible to make reservations online? Are most of the aruberugues along the pilgrimage route basically booked by phone? I am wondering how pilgrims who do not speak Spanish make reservations
Many albergues are on WhatsApp so I like to use that to make reservations rather than calling. Then I have a record of the reservation.

Another vote fir Beilari in SJPP https://www.beilari.info/en/home/

It was 43 Euros and included dinner and breakfast. Many pilgrims showed up during dinner looking for a bed but they were full so contact them on their website as soon as you know your starting date. Or whatever place you choose. Its a busy little town and not just for pilgrims. It’s France. Nothing is cheap. Albergues in Spain will be around 12 to 15 Euros not including a meal.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app for albergue reviews and contacts. Most are on WhatsApp and many answering the phone speak English so give that a try. Or use Google translate and send a conversation in English and Spanish and see what language they respond in. Usually they will respond “completo” which means full. It might take a few tries to find a bed. Usually after getting 3 or 4 completos I would use booking.com to find a bed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Three weeks ago I stayed in Refuge Le Chemin ver l'Etoile, 21, rue d' Espagne in old town Saint Jean Pied de Port. 14 euros. Clean, nice and friendly. Two bunkbeds in each room. +33(5) 59 37 20 71 and +33 (6) 70 20 82 13 and eric.viotte@gmail.com. A good, filling breakfast is 5 euros extra. Eric is going to close for the winter soon but will reopen in March. I bet he will answer the phone and email all winter. The Pilgrim Office is up the street. Buen Camino
In 2013 on my first solo Camino the train was late getting into SJPdP. Several of us didn’t have a bed. The pilgrims office was eager to find us one. I was offered and graciously accepted a bed in the attic of this albergue. Two twin beds, one occupied by an Irishman. Nothing strange about it. It was a great start to a phenomenal Camino. I’m planning to stay here (in a dorm room) come next summer. 😁 Buen Camino!
Attick%20SJPdP.jpeg

yep I have stayed with Eric 3 times( Refuge Le Chemin ver l'Etoile) , he gave me great advice on my first camino and I would only go elsewhere if he was full.

I have booked St Jean and Roncesvalles only during my Camino Frances and taken my chances elsewhere, even during the busy seasons. As others have said , whatsapp is great for booking places if you need or want and I hear good things about Gronze and Wise pilgrims apps too

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SJPDP does get very busy in peak seasons - around Easter, May and September. It would be a good idea to reserve for there. Probably also Roncesvalles and Zubiri/Larrasoaña. After that people are better spread out and overcrowding is less of an issue. Many private albergues can be booked online. Often through booking.com. I suggest you look at the Gronze website which has very comprehensive information on albergues along with details of phone numbers, email and websites.
I would also recommend, during the busy season, in Pamplona on the weekends, either arriving at the municipals by 1:00 PM, or have a reservation.
This year, in late May, on either Fri or Sat, Jesus y Maria was filled by 2PM. There were a lot of pilgrims arriving after 2 PM who were online and on the phone, but being unable to find a bed.

I have only faced the dreaded Completo once. I had to walk on much farther than planned or desired. Since then I often book or call ahead a day or two. But I also learned it's not too expensive to find beds in other towns, further along the Way ahead, or behind or around. Taxi in the evening, then taxi back in the morning. There are casa rurals, pensions and hotels in or near most towns and some villages. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back