• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Camino Portuguese

SandyJean

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 (First Camino)
Hi Pilgrims!! My adult daughter and I are going to walk our first Camino beginning on September 11, 2023. Although you all probably know what happened on that date in 2001, it is also an important date in the family as it was my mother's birthday,) We will be doing the Portuguese Camino from Porto.
She can only get two weeks off work. That fact and the idea that we figure about 10 miles a day sounds good, we obviously will have to pick and choose the sections we will see. Suggestions?
Also, I've read someone mention the Rituals of the Ending. What are these?
Thankyou, thankyou.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
it is also an important date in the family as it was my mother's birthday,
It was my grandmother's birthday too.

Rather than skip sections I recommend that you start close enough to Santiago to finish in one continuous walk. It's hard to explain to first time pilgrims, but there's something about starting at point A and walking to Santiago on one's own two feet that's very special. Plus you will probably meet people along the way that you want to socialize with, and it's more difficult to make those connections when you are skipping. And if you skip sections part of your day will be take up with taxi and bus rides.

Starting at Ponte de Lima is about 95 miles to Santiago, and you could possibly also do the Spiritual Variant (I can't remember who many miles/km that adds)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was my grandmother's birthday too.

Rather than skip sections I recommend that you start close enough to Santiago to finish in one continuous walk. It's hard to explain to first time pilgrims, but there's something about starting at point A and walking to Santiago on one's own two feet that's very special. Plus you will probably meet people along the way that you want to socialize with, and it's more difficult to make those connections when you are skipping. And if you skip sections part of your day will be take up with taxi and bus rides.

Starting at Ponte de Lima is about 95 miles to Santiago, and you could possibly also do the Spiritual Variant (I can't remember who many miles/km that adds)
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Wish there was a starting point that does not have the greatest ascent on the trail right in front of it! Mmmm-- If we started in Tui....?

I'll be walking with a knee brace, walking sticks and bringing a bit of knee arthritis with me. Rather than starting out with the first day's walk of our first Camino with a climb,, are there any logical suggestions about a spot further south? Of course, I can study the book about Beluga's, Lugar do Corgo, Vitorino do Plaes, Sacha and Seara but I'd love to hear about any of them specifically if that information might be on this forum. Perhaps there is a hidden gem of a place to break the day between Ponte de Lima and Sao Roque. You know, one with surprising comfort, warm water and the best restaurant in the world. Actually, a we'd settle for a lot less than that!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Wish there was a starting point that does not have the greatest ascent on the trail right in front of it! Mmmm-- If we started in Tui....?
Yes, you could start in Tui - or in Valença in Portugal to experience the old walled city and then the walk across the bridge into Spain. If you have extra time after reaching Santiago you could walk on to Finisterre or Muxía on the coast.

Yes, you could start in Tui - or in Valença in Portugal to experience the old walled city and then the walk across the bridge into Spain. If you have extra time after reaching Santiago you could walk on to Finisterre or Muxía on the coast.
Is this considered the Portuguese Coastal Route?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.