• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help!

Nino224

I'm doing the Camino the first week of next month, and I'm afraid I'm not prepared. I'm arriving in Santiago early Tuesday afternoon 11/30, and flying back Monday. I know from there I can take a bus to Ferrol, spend the night and get started on Wednesday. In Ferrol I'll be looking for the tourist office to get the seal. My questions are:
1. I know it's going to be cold and rainy. What equipment do I need aside from poncho, canteen, and personal gear?
2. Any safety issues I should be aware of?
3. Do I need a map to avoid getting lost?
4. My cell phone doesn't have a sim card. How do stay in touch with the US?
5. Each leg averages 15-20 miles, which works out to roughly 5-6 hours. If able, should I keep going to the next town?
6. Can I use a credit card or should I carry cash?
7. Do I need advance reservations starting with Ferrol?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Nino

For the Camino Ingles download the guide from here: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Please consider a donation.

I have an update to the guide almost ready, although to be honest, there aren't all that many major changes. If you e mail me (address on my blog) I'll send it to you just before you go.

One major development is a new 20 place albergue in Pontedueme which will really help pilgrims who wish to sleep in albergues on this route:

http://www.laopinioncoruna.es/metro/201 ... 32897.html

I have e mailed the tourist office in Pontedeume to get exact details.

Here are answers to some of your questions:

1 Weather and gear - Have alook here just before you go for the forecast for the week you will be walking: http://www.meteogalicia.es/web/index.action

You may very well have brilliant sunshine! However you will have rain gear with you and clothes which you can wear in layers if it gets very cold.

2 Safety Issues - none that I am aware of on this route. Relax and enjoy it.

3 Map: This is not necessary - the route is very well waymarked now and the guide gives very explicit directions.

4 Staying in touch with the US - your phone must have a SIM card to work. You can either get in touch with your service provider and ask for international roaming or you can buy a SIM card for a Spanish provider in Santiago or Ferrol. However for this to work your phone has to be unlocked. However there are also telephone facilities at each stop along the way so you may simply want to but a phone card to telephone home.

5 The stages of the route - the guide has the distances - plan your route according to where you are going to sleep. You have to walk to the next bed! This route is very manageable. On the stage between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma set off early, take some provisions and all will be well.

6 Cash or credit card - take some cash but nowadays most places take cards. There are ATM machines at all of the stopping points listed in the guide.

7 Reserve rooms in advance? Up to you really. I'd say at the time of year you are walking you can be confident getting rooms at each stage. The Guide lists the main accommodation - you could book the first night if you want and then get each place you stay to phone ahead for you to book the next night. Phone numbers are in the Guide.

Enjoy your Camino

John

Johnnie, you're the best!
I will be getting the guide and leaving a donation.

Right now I'm all nerves. Hopefully I won't forget anything!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree and endorse everything Johnny said. A couple of points: 1) in Ferrol or Santiago you can go to a Vodaphone or Mobilstar store or kiosk and get a SIM card to stay in touch with the U.S. quite reasonably. 2) unless you are a very fast walker, I doubt you will average the stages in 5-6 hours. On this route, the "next" town is usually the end of the stage. In my opinion it is not reasonable to try to do two stages in one day. It would be a VERY long day. See my post in the link below to see my start/finish times for each stage:

el-camino-ingles/topic9382.html

Have a great Camino!

Another thought: your dates are nearly perfect.
Tues - the bus from Santiago to Ferrol will get you into Ferrol about 5:30 PM. That's too late to start the walk that day.
Wed - Ferrol to Pontedeume
Thu - Pontedeume to Bentanzos
Fri - Betanzos to Bruma/Meson do Vento
Sat - Bruma to Sigueiro
Sun- Sigueiro to Santiago
Mon - Return home.

Thanks, daesdemar and congratulations!

You must've been horrified when you saw your knee swollen like that.
I read your travel log. It's a great help in visualizing what this is going to be like.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nino,

I will be arriving in Ferrol on Dec 6, and starting out the next day, a week after you. We could compare notes on prep and packing if you wish. I have not walked in winter before, and am not used to winter conditions, living in the tropics all my life, and hence, am a little concerned, but my tickets have been purchased and walk I will !

All the very best and Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - I'm just back today from walking down from A Coruna where I discovered some significant changes to the route. The Ferrol arm of the Camino Ingles hasn't changed and is very well waymarked now. I am incorporating information from my own trip and that other other pilgrims in a new edition of the Guide which will be right up to date. If any of you need this before it is put on line by the CSJ just e mail me.

Regards

John

It looks like I'll be arriving in Ferrol at around 6:30pm on Tuesday. Will I have any trouble finding a place to stay at that hour?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Nino and Restless Rose,
Our best wishes to you both for your Caminos. Love to hear through the forum about your experiences. We have just booked our tickets for next Spring and plan to walk the Inglés (DV)
Blessings on your walking,
TerryB and Tia Valeria

Most read last week in this forum

I did a search in this sub-forum but couldn't find anything recent. How much cash should I bring for the Ingles? All of my pre-booked accommodations except one accept credit card. That one place...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Here is a brief outline of our Camino from Reading UK to Santiago de Compostella via the Camino Ingles. Day 1 April 7th Reading to Little London. Reading is very Pilgrim friendly, great signage...
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back