• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi all, I am going to walk the El Camino....

Gar-bear

Hi all,
I love this site, so friendly, so much helpful information, wisdom, and obvious humility. Thank you all. I have learned a lot already. It has been a few, hmmmm...., quite a few years since I have worked in the outdoor industry, experienced backpacking and mountaineering, but I still thought that I had all the answers I needed for outfitting myself. Wrong! Thanks to you folks, I am finally getting my head around ultra-light, instead of tough, durable, n' heavy, and taking only what I know that I need, and no might or maybe-needs. I am fortunate enough to not own a car, so I walk everywhere in the small town of which I live in, Port Townsend, Washington USA. So, that is usually, at a bare minimum, of 4 or 5 miles a day, just getting and packing home my groceries, and doing my basic errands. I say I am fortunate, because I love the walks, and am always making up other things to do to get me out walking.

For many years, it has seemed as though I have been getting glimpses of el Camino out of the corner of my eye, only guessing that it was a pilgrimage, but have not had my curiosity really piqued until recently, while watching the film, 'The Way'. There is no doubt but what it is time for me to do this. As most of you know more than I, this message comes from deep within. So even that has happened just as it was supposed to. For me, it feels as though the journey has already started, and probably long before now. Now it is just a matter of letting the rest of the process unfold, i.e., the selling off of some possessions, to lighten my load at home, and to be able to finance this walk. Learning just what the best gear for me would be, and acquiring it. I am already considering a Gossamer Gear Pack, after having looked at some much heavier and cumbersome brands/models, and then reading on the forum here, and 'silly dolls blog', I already had a 1lb down sleeping bag. some light, quick drying, cycling jerseys that might work....plus there seems to be a lot of sales going on right now. So I am hoping for this coming fall, to be able to be walking the Camino, but there is only so much of this that is up to me. We'll see just what is really the right time, for me to do this. I believe that the Camino is already at work.... Oh!, I am also excited about learning more than a hand full of words in Spanish.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Gar-bear and welcome to the forum. From what you say you have already ingested some of the key messages which past pilgrims try to impart particularly about travelling light and bringing synthetic, quick dry clothing. Best wishes and please keep us posted on how your plans progress.

John

Hello,

having walked in cycling tops, I can vouch for how light and quick-drying they are. One consideration however is that cycling tops always look like cycling tops. It may simply be vanity but for my next Camino, I will be bringing a quick-drying shirt for those occasions when I want to dress up a little.

That said, the cycling fleece I brought was great for the occasional cold morning I experienced when walking in September. Very light-weight, warm and highly visible due to its flourescent yellow colouring.

Good luck with your preparations!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never needed a sleeping bag in spring, summer, and fall. Admittedly, I like to be cool. A nylon or silk sleeping sack has been sufficient, supplemented on a few occasions with a blanket provided by the albergue. Some have wondered if blankets are always available, and it is my experience that they are always available at the places where it might get cold (higher elevation, for example). I have always been prepared to sleep in my clothes and use my poncho as a blanket, but it never has been necessary. So my suggestion is that you leave the 1# sleeping bag behind unless you are walking in the winter.

Hey Falcon, I'd love to take a silk sleep sack this year, but my experience with the one I bought in 2009 was that it felt like I was being strangled. It wrapped around me and stuck to me and made me feel claustrophobic.

Can you suggest a good brand to look into?

I beg to differ with regard to the necessity for a sleeping bag. I've taken mine with me on two Caminos (May/June) and used it every night. On the warmer nights I didn't zip it up, thus keeping cooler when the need arose. The trouble with blankets in most albergues is that they don't get washed very often and tend to smell, which I find rather off-putting.
Sandra :arrow:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyone wanting to be toasty warm should take a sleeping bag.

Annie: I made my own nylon sleep sack with a pillow pocket because I did not like silk much, so I have no brand in mind.

trouble with blankets in most albergues is that they don't get washed very often
Did you dare sniff that mattress that has been around since the Spanish Civil War? Half the purpose of a sleeping bag or sleeping sack is to avoid direct contact with the mattress and pillow. I shudder with pity for those seeking hygiene on a Camino. You might just as well hang out with teenage Boy Scouts.

Given a hundred roommates and the on-going battle over open windows, I can add warmth to my sleep sack, but can only get so naked in the 100 degree nighttime albergue. I save over a pound with every step I take. If being clean (impossible with or without a sleeping bag) and warm (possible with or without a sleeping bag) are worth the weight, trudge on.

Thank you all, for the kind words of encouragement, and the advice around the cycle clothing, and sleeping bag(or not) :) I too run a little on the warm side, and like to sleep cool. On my last cycle tour, i took my heavier down bag, and out of 8 nights, I only took my sleeping bag out of its stuff sack once, and then I couldn't use it, so I continued using a twin size flat flannel sheet..., perfect. So what I decide to use will probably depend on the time of year that I get to do this Walk....

I will experiment with my cycling jersey's, and yes I agree, cycling jerseys will never look like anything but a cycling jersey, some more obnoxious than others, in a public setting anyway. So I too will make sure to have something more neutral, yet functional, to wear when needed. I am going to experiment with my arm-warmers, n' leg-warmers too.

Gary

Buen Camino Gar-bear,
You will love the Camino. It sounds as if you are ready for it.
They say it chooses you, you don't choose it. Well whatever way it works, it works well!
Safe journey. Padraic

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Padraic Pilgim,

Thank you very much for the kind words.... I just a little while ago ran into the owner of our local theatre, and he said that many people from my small town had been stirred by the film, 'The Way', and i don't doubt that there had already been a seed planted and sprouting for them too.

Gary

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.