• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Pilgrim near Zubiri — RIP

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And here is the text:

The search for the 45 year old French pilgrim who has not been heard from since Friday has continued since 09.00 hours on Sunday 19 May. To date, the emergency services had focused the search work in the area of Erro after receiving a tip-off on Friday from an acquaintance of the pilgrim who could not contact him.
In this situation, Firefighters of Navarra, who were the first to receive the information, initiated the search in the northern area of Navarra. Later the Guardia Civil joined in after receiving a call from the police and customs cooperation centre in Hendaye informing them of the situation.

Throughout Saturday, the search, which was done by air and land, continued in the same area combed during the night of Friday. However, this Sunday, the efforts are focused on the area of Zubiri. There, the Guardia Civil has set up the advanced command post and is working together with the Navarre Fire Brigade, the Technical Rescue Group, a helicopter, a rescue dog group and patrols from the Policía Foral. Drones are also being used. Guardia Civil has confirmed that on Saturday night it was discovered that the Urtasun-Eugui booster station was the one receiving the signal of the French pilgrim, which has served to narrow the search.

🤔 maybe he switched off his phone? has been known to happen...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
https://www.navarratelevision.es/no...a-a-un-peregrino-perdido-en-la-zona-de-zubiri

The French Gendarmerie confirmed to the Guardia Civil that the pilgrim had slept in Roncesvalles. From that moment, the SOS Navarra centre tried to locate the missing person by telephone without success.

This Saturday, firefighters from the Burguete fire station carried out a new search in the morning. In the afternoon they made a new route from Linzoáin to Zubiri, throughout the Erro area. These same sources explained that this person is supposedly carrying a tent, so he does not necessarily have to go to the albergues to spend the night.

The Guardia Civil, for their part, have been scouring the area with a photograph of the missing person. About 22.00 hours, it was reported that they had located the booster stationthat was receiving the signal from the phone of the pilgrim in Urtasun and the Technical Rescue Group (GRT) was mobilized. SOS Navarra have reported this Monday morning that the search continues.

🤔

And here is the text:

The search for the 45 year old French pilgrim who has not been heard from since Friday has continued since 09.00 hours on Sunday 19 May. To date, the emergency services had focused the search work in the area of Erro after receiving a tip-off on Friday from an acquaintance of the pilgrim who could not contact him.
In this situation, Firefighters of Navarra, who were the first to receive the information, initiated the search in the northern area of Navarra. Later the Guardia Civil joined in after receiving a call from the police and customs cooperation centre in Hendaye informing them of the situation.

Throughout Saturday, the search, which was done by air and land, continued in the same area combed during the night of Friday. However, this Sunday, the efforts are focused on the area of Zubiri. There, the Guardia Civil has set up the advanced command post and is working together with the Navarre Fire Brigade, the Technical Rescue Group, a helicopter, a rescue dog group and patrols from the Policía Foral. Drones are also being used. Guardia Civil has confirmed that on Saturday night it was discovered that the Urtasun-Eugui booster station was the one receiving the signal of the French pilgrim, which has served to narrow the search.

🤔 maybe he switched off his phone? has been known to happen...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope he is found and brought to safety🙏🙏🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Guardia Civil and Burguete firefighters are to be commended for their continued efforts and perseverance over the nearly four days until the young man's body was located...I am impressed.

Such a sad fate for the lost man. I wonder if heavy rain or fog played a part in disorienting him and possibly caused him to slip off a steep incline somewhere on or near the trail.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rest in peace 🙏 My daughter and I are on the Camino now, we walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri yesterday (Monday). We saw all the firefighters and crew but assumed it was for downed wires or something. The weather has been bad the past couple days, rain, hail and heavy fog. That steep area near Zubiri was extremely treacherous, I wiped out but did not get hurt. This is so sad.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rest in peace 🙏 My daughter and I are on the Camino now, we walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri yesterday (Monday). We saw all the firefighters and crew but assumed it was for downed wires or something. The weather has been bad the past couple days, rain, hail and heavy fog. That steep area near Zubiri was extremely treacherous, I wiped out but did not get hurt. This is so sad.
Is there a reasonable alternative route to this descent to Zubiri?

[Moderator note: Post moved from another thread]

A 45 year old French man from Brittany, Nicolas Acquitter, who began in St Jean PDP on the 17th May was found dead on Monday (20th) near (or at) the Barranco (Ravine) Ezparrondo in the Zubiri area.
His body was located thanks to a signal from his mobile phone.
He had phoned a friend complaining of feeling "very unwell" and asked the friend to call emergency services.
His sister confirmed his death on Facebook on Monday.

An inquest has been opened in Pamplona into the cause of death.

Several French news websites have reported it.

Condolences to his family 😢

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted" (Psalm 34:18a)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Is there a reasonable alternative route to this descent to Zubiri?
RIP

Others would know more. From what I've read on the forum, there are at least two alternatives. The first is walking on the road (usually for cars and cyclists) and the second is to take a bus from Roncevalles to Pamplona (it may be possible to get off earlier if you'd prefer, after passing Zubiri).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
RIP

Others would know more. From what I've read on the forum, there are at least two alternatives. The first is walking on the road (usually for cars and cyclists) and the second is to take a bus from Roncevalles to Pamplona (it may be possible to get off earlier if you'd prefer, after passing Zubiri).
There is no evidence so far that the descent is what caused his death. You can try to avoid all risks, but in the short time I have on this planet, I choose to spend it outdoors walking as long as I can.

Not if you are walking
There absolutely is a walking alternative -- I've done it. At the coffee kiosk, turn right and join the road into Zubiri. It's a bit hard on the feet (tarmac), and you need to stay alert, but it is safe and do-able. There is plenty to enjoy scenery-wise, and it's no worse than many stretches of the Frances. I shredded my knees on the shard-path last Camino, so walked on the road this April. It added about 1 hour to my walking time, but was well worth in in terms of being able to complete the rest of the pilgrimage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back