• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi all .... I'm a first timer

Trish MacGregor

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer
Hi there. I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014. I'm a 52 year old Kiwi lady, unfit and certainly not used to walking long distances, but I am excited and enthusiastic and above all determined so hoping this will pull me through! I'll be on my own (which I am a bit worried about I admit) .... my husband left me this time last year after 27 years of marriage. I am trying to get my life back and come to terms with a future without him. I am excited about doing something for myself in a long, long time. Booked into "Beginner Spanish", starting to try and lose a few kilos, and trying to convince my 2 kids that I'm not crazy. Thank you to everyone on this forum ..... the wonderful stories and information I've gained is invaluable. Hope to see many of you in September.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome here!

Trish, it will probably be the best experience you've had in +27 years. Read the thread of the stones, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-story-of-your-stone-at-the-cruz-de-ferro.21624/

and simply just look forward. You will reap great benefits. Going alone is perfect: You will meet and connect with many pilgrims in the same situation as yourself: Nothing to worry about; on the contrary. New life, new people, new thoughts, new insight.

Buen Camino!
Hi Alex. Thanks for your kind words and support. You are right ... it is a new life for me.

Hi Trish

Another Kiwi here. Welcome to the forum.
Ive just got back from my second Camino.
I went cause I was a bit battered and bruised from life as well.
While the Camino didnt give me all the answers...what I did enjoy was a sense of peace and freedom from the burdens of home.

I wish you well in your planning. It really is an exciting part of the Camino adventure.

There are quite a few Kiwis' in this forum...so please let us know if we can help with anything.

Kia Kaha

Lise
Hi Lise ....thanks for your support. "Battered and bruised" is certainly a good way to put it ... exactly how I feel! Cheers Trish.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Trish!

Welcome to the forum!
You have already taken your first steps
This is your time to turn the page in your life and embark on a journey of discovery, re-discovery of yourself and adventure.
Buen Camino!!

Hi Trish!

Welcome to the forum!
You have already taken your first steps
This is your time to turn the page in your life and embark on a journey of discovery, re-discovery of yourself and adventure.
Buen Camino!!
Couldn't agree with you more! I am so looking forward to the future but afraid at the same time, if that makes sense. Thanks for your kind words.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Trish!
Another Kiwi, planning another Camino Frances, for September 2014.
You are in for a wonderful time.
Regds and Buen Camino
Gerard

Thank you Gerard .... feeling pretty brave now but hope that carries through until next September! Be booking my tickets soon just to make sure! Nice to hear that you've done one Camino (or more?) before and you're going back for another. Lots of people seem to go back time and time again .... obviously very good for the soul! Cheers Trish.

Hi there. I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014. I'm a 52 year old Kiwi lady, unfit and certainly not used to walking long distances, but I am excited and enthusiastic and above all determined so hoping this will pull me through! I'll be on my own (which I am a bit worried about I admit) .... my husband left me this time last year after 27 years of marriage. I am trying to get my life back and come to terms with a future without him. I am excited about doing something for myself in a long, long time. Booked into "Beginner Spanish", starting to try and lose a few kilos, and trying to convince my 2 kids that I'm not crazy. Thank you to everyone on this forum ..... the wonderful stories and information I've gained is invaluable. Hope to see many of you in September.

Hi Trish.
Welcome to the forum. I think many of us are walking due to the hurts and hangups that have brought us to the current point in our lives, so you won't be alone. This is an opportunity for a new beginning for you. I hope and pray it will be filled with new friends and new hope. You've taken the first step to start your camino. You're a pilgrim now! You're gonna have a challenging, rewarding and fun time meeting others.
Just remember, It ain't over till it's over! So keep moving forward. Even in the hardest of times, there is always something new to enjoy.
Blessings,
Karen

Hello trish,

Welcome. You have already start your first step of walking the camino.

Don't worry about the age barrier, you are a spring chicken. It will be a very wonderful experience for you. I have met many older peregrinos in santiago who considered themselves old, unfit and not use to walking long distances made it to santiago and already planning the next camino. It is also a good time for reflection. You will meet many peregrinos along the way who will become your camino families with friendship that will last forever.

Buen camino and god's blessing on you.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Trish.
Welcome to the forum. I think many of us are walking due to the hurts and hangups that have brought us to the current point in our lives, so you won't be alone. This is an opportunity for a new beginning for you. I hope and pray it will be filled with new friends and new hope. You've taken the first step to start your camino. You're a pilgrim now! You're gonna have a challenging, rewarding and fun time meeting others.
Just remember, It ain't over till it's over! So keep moving forward. Even in the hardest of times, there is always something new to enjoy.
Blessings,
Karen
Hi Karen. Thanks for your support. I am hoping this will be a new beginning for me. If nothing else, I hope to gain acceptance and to be positive about moving on in my life without him. There are so many wise people on this forum .... I have learned lots already. Baby steps !! Cheers Trish.

Hello trish,

Welcome. You have already start your first step o walking the camino.

Don't worry about the age barrier, you are a spring chicken. It will be a very wonderful experience for you. I have met many older peregrinos in santiago who considered themselves old, unfit and not use to walking long distances made it to santiago and already planning the next camino. It is also a good time for reflection. You will meet many peregrinos along the way who will become your camino families with friendship that will last forever.

Buen camino and god's blessing on you.
Hi there. Anyone who calls me a spring chicken has got my vote!! Thank you! I am so looking forward to making new friends along the way. Thank you for your words of wisdom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Trish.
Blessings,
Karen
Well stated and I fully agree with your sentiments.

Trish .. 315 days until Sept 17th , which btw is the date we are leaving St Jean (coming from Arkansas) . Practice hard and learn quickly . If we meet you Hot Choclate is on us! :)

Joe

Hi there. Anyone who calls me a spring chicken has got my vote!! Thank you! I am so looking forward to making new friends along the way. Thank you for your words of wisdom[/quote/

Coming from a " no spring chicken anymore" 69 yr old grandma & retiree, trust me you can do it and have fun doing it. You will meet incredible people from every corners of the world and still have a lot of "me" time for soul searching & solitude. I walked from SJPP to Santiago and would do it again in a heartbeat but alas this old body needs a little more time to recuperate so I'm giving myself a year before I start my Camino Ingles then on to Finisterre/Muxia. So be brave, St James will watch over you. Walk "YOUR" Camino at your own pace , pay attention & take care of your feet, pack light and I mean LIGHT. Everything will be fine. Buen Camino and be safe.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trish - you are NOT crazy (well, all of us who are hooked on the Camino are crazy of course, but in a nice way).

One point of view is that your husband was a complete fool to leave you - the other point of view is that you have two lovely children, are at the high point of your life, and have the FREEDOM to now be who you are! He might have done you a favour - going on Camino as a new but adult single, with things to work out, a person to try and remember and get into contact with (the real you) - how Marvellous!!

You are not to cancel your plans, otherwise we will all come and knock on your door!!

Buen Camino Trish!

p.s. you won't be on your own, any more than everybody else is on their own - the Camino provides and you will meet so many great people. xx
p.p.s. The nervousness is completely normal, just part of the process. x
p.p.p.s 52 is NOT old. I went and took my degree then, and loved it. 52? Perfect age, perfect! x

Last edited:
Trish - you are NOT crazy (well, all of us who are hooked on the Camino are crazy of course, but in a nice way).

One point of view is that your husband was a complete fool to leave you - the other point of view is that you have two lovely children, are at the high point of your life, and have the FREEDOM to now be who you are! He might have done you a favour - going on Camino as a new but adult single, with things to work out, a person to try and remember and get into contact with (the real you) - how Marvellous!!

You are not to cancel your plans, otherwise we will all come and knock on your door!!

Buen Camino Trish!

p.s. you won't be on your own, any more than everybody else is on their own - the Camino provides and you will meet so many great people. xx
p.p.s. The nervousness is completely normal, just part of the process. x
p.p.p.s 52 is NOT old. I went and took my degree then, and loved it. 52? Perfect age, perfect! x

Thank you so much David. This forum and people like you that I've never met have helped me so much these last few days .... it's quite overwhelming. I will not cancel my plans .... I am going to do this and I have no doubt I'll love every minute of it. Cheers Trish

Hi Trish you have some really good friends here on the forum and many more to meet on the Camino. You are starting out right now on a great adventure. So welcome pilgrim!
Thank you for your kind thoughts .... the people on this forum are wonderful and so supportive. I am so looking forward to my adventure. Cheers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trish and Karen,

if I meet you on the Camino, here is what I'll do:
Walk with you to the local shop; buy fresh vegetables and ingredients for dinner, + redwine: Go back to the kitchen in our albergue, make a great dinner together, eat and drink wine together, share stories, comfort each other, solve a few questions about life and meaning (+ more wine), sleep tight, and walk out together next morning, laughing together and enjoy walking through vineyeards or the Meseta plateu, heading for the next albergue. (There are a couple of swimming pools there as well).

Since I will walk in spring 2014, you have to find someone else. But then again, I am sure he/she will find You! Just start walking, and things start to happen.

Last edited:
Hi there. I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014. Hope to see many of you in September.

Look forward to meeting you along the "Way". Enjoy all the current emotions of worry,excitement,confusion,joy - more will come and then you'll be strolling in France & Spain with the rest of us crazies!

Trish and Karen,

Walk with you to the local shop; buy fresh vegetables and ingredients for dinner, + redwine: Go back to the kitchen in our albergue, make a great dinner together, eat and drink wine together, share stories, comfort each other, solve a few questions about life and meaning (+ more wine), sleep tight, and walk out together next morning, laughing together and enjoy walking through vineyeards or the Meseta plateu, heading for the next albergue. (There are a couple of swimming pools there as well).

Since I will walk in spring 2014, you have to find someone else. But then again, I am sure he/she will find You! Just start walking, and things start to happen.
I like your style Alex! Especially the red wine bit!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Trish,
'Ditto' - recently divorced 54 yr old'lady planning to go (solo) end of May/June 2014 - very nervous about doing it myself also. Have just found this forum so hopefully it will be full of ideas.

Trish and Karen,

Sounds great to me!!! Exactly how I'm hoping the camino will be! Friends, food and red wine. Doesn't get any better than that! And if we meet, gonna hold you to this!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trisha, I am 80 year woman who did the Camino from StJean to Finesterre in April of this year. . . . You do not walk alone. . If you knew who was walking with you, you would not be afraid. Walk with the Saints. From USA.

Hi Lorene....
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you will continue to post in the various forums and share your experiences with us.
Where are you located in the USA ? There are local groups now in many areas.

Trish ...

Number zero is -- you'll have a tough Camino, but you should be always mindful of pain versus JOY

Number one is -- buen Camino, peregrina !!!

Number two is -- it's no sort of escape ; it's a return. Get back to where you once belonged.

Number three is -- I'd strongly advise the "purist" route for you particularly -- no buses, no pack transport, no hitch-hike, nothing but yourself and your pack and your other burdens and the Way. Walk every single inch of even the most tediously unpleasant portions. The "purist" Camino gives the sort of continuity in its very manner of being that would seem to be a part of what you seek

Number four is -- FOCUS on the material aspects, and seek advice for the practicalities ; the nature of the Camino is elsewhere, but the spirituality needs no advance preparation

Number five is -- ooooooh YES you are physically up to it. And don't you DARE get onto there and let your transitory pains lead you into compromises !!!! Take rests or even rest days instead.

Hi Trish -
Welcome to the Forum from me too! (Aussie 'cousin')! All the comments here are excellent advice and no doubt you've found more information on the Forum regarding Camino preparation, spirituality, experiences, community and support (plus some really fun threads!) than you would EVER have been able to find otherwise. That's the wonder of the Forum!
It's fantastic that you've got about 10 months now before you begin your Camino, so there's plenty of time for training. Your training walks will help you put the past in the past and help you detach from the sadness of the breakdown of your marriage. They will give you a new focus - plus time to look within and to appreciate your surroundings wherever you train. Janet Leitch, Chairperson of the Australian Friends of the Camino has a wonderful saying - it's "Look at the world through Camino Eyes". That saying is a wonderful thing to focus on as you train - you'll notice more and appreciate more just in the every day.
And when you take that first step on the Camino - well - the feeling is INCREDIBLE !!!
Take joy in every step Trish -
Cheers, Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmmm...
Many nice words here...

. I'll be on my own (which I am a bit worried about I admit) ....
No you are not. There's a whole community waiting for you to arrive and walk together with us. You and us just haven't met yet.

Thrish, I consider you already as a pilgrim even though you haven't walked yet; but I consider you as a fellow pilgrim in spirit. Can you feel us other pilgrims cheering for you? I bet you can.

Go.

Last edited:
Hi Trish -
Welcome to the Forum from me too! (Aussie 'cousin')! All the comments here are excellent advice and no doubt you've found more information on the Forum regarding Camino preparation, spirituality, experiences, community and support (plus some really fun threads!) than you would EVER have been able to find otherwise. That's the wonder of the Forum!
It's fantastic that you've got about 10 months now before you begin your Camino, so there's plenty of time for training. Your training walks will help you put the past in the past and help you detach from the sadness of the breakdown of your marriage. They will give you a new focus - plus time to look within and to appreciate your surroundings wherever you train. Janet Leitch, Chairperson of the Australian Friends of the Camino has a wonderful saying - it's "Look at the world through Camino Eyes". That saying is a wonderful thing to focus on as you train - you'll notice more and appreciate more just in the every day.
And when you take that first step on the Camino - well - the feeling is INCREDIBLE !!!
Take joy in every step Trish -
Cheers, Jenny
Hi Jenny ... thanks for all your kind words. I've now booked my ticket to London leaving Christchurch 3 September. So my first step should be around 7th Sept. I certainly have a lot of training to do! The forum has been invaluable so far and I'm learning so much. I am looking forward to returning to the person I was .... since my husband left I've unfortunately developed a lot of traits that don't become me! Anger, bitterness, despair ... it's all there. And they never were there before. I will take joy in every step .... cheers Trish.

Hmmm...
Many nice words here...

No you are not. There's a whole community waiting for you to arrive and walk together with us. You and us just haven't met yet.

Thrish, I consider you already as a pilgrim even though you haven't walked yet; but I consider you as a fellow pilgrim in spirit. Can you feel us other pilgrims cheering for you? I bet you can.

Go.
Cheers Alex .... you have many wise words! I've booked my ticket to London for 3 September. And hope to take my first step around 7th Sept. And you are right ... I can feel the support from everyone on this forum even though I haven't met anyone yet. Thanks for your support. Trish

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cheers Alex .... you have many wise words!
There are many in here much wiser than me. Very good people. The Camino does that to many. After your walk, you too will be much wiser, in a good way. Anger, bitterness, despair ... they will not have a place in you anymore, because you will have seen and understood something else. I hope.

Last edited:
Hi Jenny ... thanks for all your kind words. I've now booked my ticket to London leaving Christchurch 3 September. So my first step should be around 7th Sept. I certainly have a lot of training to do! The forum has been invaluable so far and I'm learning so much. I am looking forward to returning to the person I was .... since my husband left I've unfortunately developed a lot of traits that don't become me! Anger, bitterness, despair ... it's all there. And they never were there before. I will take joy in every step .... cheers Trish.

Hi Trish -
It's my pleasure and privilege to lend some support here.
Fantastic that you've booked your flights - 'hope you got a good deal!
Take your time and really look after yourself with training ... be like the proverbial snail ... Santiago will still be there when you get there!
The anger, bitterness and despair are all part of the grieving process as you'd know, and you'll get through it.
Each step you take is a step away from the past towards your future - keep your spirits up, stay positive and focus on 'now'.
Take joy in every step!
Cheers - Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
best to you on your walk in 2014 maybe I will see you on the trail.
Where will you start your journey ?

best to you on your walk in 2014 maybe I will see you on the trail.
Where will you start your journey ?
Hi there ... I'm arriving in London 4th September and flying out to Barcelona on the 5th. At this stage I hope to start walking from Roncesvalles 7th Sept (give or take a day or so!). Now that I've booked and paid for my ticket it suddenly seems very real! What are your plans?

Hi there.
I have just signed up to this forum and see that we have lots in common. I too am a kiwi, a year older than you at 53, a bit overweight, and have just broken off my engagement with my partner of 12 years due to his infidelity. I am planning on a trip to Europe next year when I can get the money together and three months off work. I have family to find and meet in holland and am toying with the idea of walking the Camino from Amsterdam. How crazy is that! I swing from utter despair to excited about the future. Will definitely be doing the Camino to celebrate my new independence and the next chapter in my book of life.
I'm from Palmy. where are you?

Kindest thoughts,
adele

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there.
I have just signed up to this forum and see that we have lots in common. I too am a kiwi, a year older than you at 53, a bit overweight, and have just broken off my engagement with my partner of 12 years due to his infidelity. I am planning on a trip to Europe next year when I can get the money together and three months off work. I have family to find and meet in holland and am toying with the idea of walking the Camino from Amsterdam. How crazy is that! I swing from utter despair to excited about the future. Will definitely be doing the Camino to celebrate my new independence and the next chapter in my book of life.

Kindest thoughts,
adele
Hi there Adele .... lovely to get your reply, and yes we do have a lot in common. I've got 3 months off work too next year ... September/October/November. Leaving for London on 3 September. It all seems real now! The people on this forum are amazing ... I've had so much support and learned so much .... I'm walking the Camino Frances and planning to walk about 10 - 15k a day. Pretty slow I know but I'm lucky to have the luxury of time on my side. Good on you for doing something for yourself. And I never thought I'd say it Adele, but it does get easier, little by little. I'm nowhere near healed that's for sure ... but I'm hoping the Camino will bring me back to the person I once was, minus all the terrible anger and bitterness that eats me up a lot of the time. Would love to keep in touch and compare notes. You never know, we might be there at the same time! Cheers Trish,
PS: I'm from Christchurch xx

Kindest thoughts, adele
Hi Adele, I was bred in Palmy and buttered in Wanganui. My niece and her son (both from Wangas) will be joining me (from Brissy now) for the Camino Frances in Sept 2014.
One of the forums' most valuable members is from Palmy.
That's Margaret, who posts as KiwiNomad06.

Kind Regds
Gerard

Hi there Adele .... lovely to get your reply, and yes we do have a lot in common. I've got 3 months off work too next year ... September/October/November. Leaving for London on 3 September. It all seems real now! The people on this forum are amazing ... I've had so much support and learned so much .... I'm walking the Camino Frances and planning to walk about 10 - 15k a day. Pretty slow I know but I'm lucky to have the luxury of time on my side. Good on you for doing something for yourself. And I never thought I'd say it Adele, but it does get easier, little by little. I'm nowhere near healed that's for sure ... but I'm hoping the Camino will bring me back to the person I once was, minus all the terrible anger and bitterness that eats me up a lot of the time. Would love to keep in touch and compare notes. You never know, we might be there at the same time! Cheers Trish,
PS: I'm from Christchurch xx
Hi Trisha,
So good to hear back from you! This really is an awesome forum isn't it? I've decided to try for 3 months from mid August as it seems that July and August might be a bit hot and crowded on the trail. The will mean starting the trail roughly at the same time as you! And see Gerard's reply - there will be more kiwis starting at that time as well! Like you Trisha, I have feelings inside that I hope to leave on the trail and come back a better person for it. My work takes me to Christchurch from time to time, so we could always catch up some time before we go to. How cool is that thought? Although I am all alone now, it's crazy how that's turning out not to be true. Take care. Dreading work tomorrow lol

Hi Adele, I was bred in Palmy and buttered in Wanganui. My niece and her son (both from Wangas) will be joining me (from Brissy now) for the Camino Frances in Sept 2014.
One of the forums' most valuable members is from Palmy.
That's Margaret, who posts as KiwiNomad06.
Kind Regds
Gerard
What a small world! Seems like we might be "hitting the trail" at similar times. If I can't get the 3 months off work, I'm seriously considering resigning, it's that important to me. Have you done it before? And thanks for that Palmy contact - Ill send Margaret a message.

Hi Trisha,
So good to hear back from you! This really is an awesome forum isn't it? I've decided to try for 3 months from mid August as it seems that July and August might be a bit hot and crowded on the trail. The will mean starting the trail roughly at the same time as you! And see Gerard's reply - there will be more kiwis starting at that time as well! Like you Trisha, I have feelings inside that I hope to leave on the trail and come back a better person for it. My work takes me to Christchurch from time to time, so we could always catch up some time before we go to. How cool is that thought? Although I am all alone now, it's crazy how that's turning out not to be true. Take care. Dreading work tomorrow lol
Hi again Adele! Yes it is an awesome forum .... and Gerard has been in touch so it's nice to know that we are not alone! I would love you to get in contact with me if you are ever in Christchurch (same applies to you Gerard) ... my work email is trish.macgregor@srblaw.co.nz Email me any time .... and you're not alone. From what I've gathered from this forum, there are a lot of people out there who are hurting and need to change direction in their lives .... let's hope the Camino will steer us in the right direction. Keep in touch Adele and hope to hear from you soon. Lots of love, Trish xx

Hi again Adele! Yes it is an awesome forum .... and Gerard has been in touch so it's nice to know that we are not alone! I would love you to get in contact with me if you are ever in Christchurch (same applies to you Gerard) ... my work email is trish.macgregor@srblaw.co.nz Email me any time .... and you're not alone. From what I've gathered from this forum, there are a lot of people out there who are hurting and need to change direction in their lives .... let's hope the Camino will steer us in the right direction. Keep in touch Adele and hope to hear from you soon. Lots of love, Trish xx
Thanks Trish. I'll definitely be in touch. My email is adele.caspers@gmail.com. Roll on next year I say!

Hi Trish,
I did the Camino Frances in 2010 and this year will do the Camono Portuguese. Here's my brief take on the CF. Good luck to you.

It started out well, 7am through the deserted cobbled streets of St John Pied de Port, out through the old town gates and up the gently rising route Napoleon for the 27 kilometre trek over the mountain. The road eventually narrowed to the width of a Devon country lane. As I rose higher so did the sun until several hours later I was sweltering in thirty degree heat, with the town I had left hidden by the valley mist.
Eventually the road gave way to mountain track and I was bent double with sweat pooling in my glasses and dripping down onto my shorts. As I hauled myself, exhausted, up the last of the 1440 metres to the top of the Col de Lepoeder I could see the abbey at Roncesvalles nestling in the trees some way below. I knew, having reached that goal, and put my boots into the specially constructed boot depository, that smelled like a dump for rotten Camembert, that I would make it the remainder of the way to Santiago de Compostela.
Roncesvalles set the tone for the days to come. Up early, walk and then buy food for lunch. I quickly learned that taking a rucksack into a small shop in an isolated village was not a good idea as when turning to look at what was on offer I invariably set about demolishing shelves stacked with tinned food. Comments were made but I don’t think any of them were, ‘Good morning, how are you?‘
I would then complete the morning’s walk and have lunch. After I would walk away the afternoon before stopping at a hostel to get the prized stamp on the passport. I would need one from each place I stayed on route to show to the church authorities at Santiago de Compostela in order to get my certificate for completing the journey.
Then it was wash that day’s clothes, complete my journal, check the photos and bed at 9pm and hope to get to sleep before the snoring started. Rows of bunk beds were the order of the day and, believe me, there were seismic grunts coming from some nostrils that made me mighty glad I had opted to take earplugs. There is no discrimination, men and women share the same space and those that are unmarried get a taste of things to come.
The Basque country quickly gave way to the vineyards of Rioja and the wide gravel paths that meandered through them. I breakfasted on grapes straight from the vine, a deliciously sweet and juicy start to each day. I was soon to pass through the cathedral cities of Pamplona and Burgos where the trudge through the latter’s seemingly endless industrial suburbs proved a daunting task. It was worth it, though, as I later wandered through the massive Gothic cathedral where El Cid, the city's most illustrious son, is buried.
Between Burgos and Lyon is the Meseta, a vast area of endless fields with no boundaries, hidden valleys, open plains, and tiny villages dotted along the way like carelessly sown corn seed. It is the place that many choose to avoid by taking the bus from Burgos to Lyon, for once you have accepted the challenge of this land you are open to all the elements can throw at you, and for me that was to be stifling temperatures and a headlong wind that seemed to push me back like a giant open hand.
The stony tracks were long, straight, unprotected and seemed never ending, and when I thought I had got to the end of one another limitless horizon appeared. This is part of the Camino where stubbornness and determination are your allies, and timidity and self-doubt your foes. It took me four days to cross the Meseta and I’m glad I took it on.
The region of Cantabrica is the penultimate challenge before entering the home straight that is Galicia. Throughout my journey I had to be aware that the sun was constantly shining on my left as I plodded westward, and afford that side of my body special protection. Once in Cantabrica the mountains to my right curled round toward me like a scimitar and I knew that these were the last real challenge before reaching my goal.
By now I had left more villages in my wake than I had left to pass through, yet I still had soaring temperatures to contend with. As I struggled late one afternoon through the village of Trabadelo the thermometer on the wall of the church was registering 40C, I thought it prudent at that stage to cut short the day’s walk and seek shelter.
At 1,300 metres the village of O’Cebreiro is usually clouded in mist and rain. Once more I was climbing in excessive heat, my back bent double and my hands supporting my pack as I struggled to the top. A few kilometres from the village I walked into Galicia, and the final leg of my journey.
It rains a lot in Galicia which means its fertile soil is covered in a patchwork of greens of varying hues. Small farms lie along narrow walled in dirt tracks which, in the early morning, as the sun breaks the dark veil of night appear as they must have to the Medieval pilgrim. As I made my lone journey through them only the snuffling of the cattle and lazy bark of a slumbering dog broke the eerie and mysterious silence. Farmers were praying for rain as the unusually hot weather continued and the incessant heat started to crisp the vast quantities of sweet corn that would serve as winter fodder.
At noon on the twenty-second day I entered the suburbs of Santiago de Compostela after a hard morning’s walk. The signs reinvigorated my aching legs as they beckoned me towards my goal. Down a steep hill past the eccentric pilgrim’s shelters at Mont del Gozo to cross a wooden pedestrian walkway that traversed the track like some Middle Age afterthought. Along the pavement and through the jungle of car showrooms, bathrooms for sale and anodyne office blocks.
The pilgrim signs and gold coloured shells embedded into the pavement were drawing me in like a fish on a hook and I found myself walking faster and harder. I was now into streets bordered by four story glass balconied houses. One last set of traffic lights negotiated found me in the old town surrounded by sombre and self important stone buildings. A last uphill march taken at a gallop, before I dropped down to walk under an arch where a lone piper was blowing a lament that only a bag of cats could make sense of. Descending a handful of steps I found myself in bright sunlight that illuminated the huge square in which the extravagant gothic spires of the cathedral of St James paid homage to a sky of deep blue.
I punched the air and clapped in self congratulation, no one took any notice, they had seen it all before. Just another pilgrim arriving, but this pilgrim was me. I had sweated gallons, nursed sore feet and an aching back and stumbled through twenty two days of dark starts, and, in the process, had raised over £5000 pounds for my charity.
The following day I attended midday mass to hear from the alter that an English man had arrived from St Jean pied du Port. I looked around for him and realised it was me. I felt very humble, and very proud.
Read less of my story

Hi @windswept. Nice write up - many thanks for sharing. I too am planning to walk the Portuguese route from Lisbon next year, having completed the Frances this spring. Where are you starting and what time of year? I am a little anxious about walking solo for the first time on what seems to be a fairly lonely stretch from Lisbon to Porto.

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

Hi Magwood,

I am thinking of starting in the first week of June. The route from Lisbon takes around two weeks (380Kms.) It's not well supported either in hostels or signing and involves much road walking so I am led to believe. From Porto it is another ten days (170Kms) much prettier on many tracks with ample hostels and signing. I am contemplating starting at Porto but as yet have not made up my mind. Happy to join up it fits in with your plans. But as I say, I have yet to make my mind up where to start from. I would want to complete the walk in around three weeks if I do start from Lisbon which would involve stretches of 25-30 kms daily, that said, it is a flat walk. :)

Best wishes
Roger

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Magwood,

I am thinking of starting in the first week of June. The route from Lisbon takes around two weeks (380Kms.) It's not well supported either in hostels or signing and involves much road walking so I am led to believe. From Porto it is another ten days (170Kms) much prettier on many tracks with ample hostels and signing. I am contemplating starting at Porto but as yet have not made up my mind. Happy to join up it fits in with your plans. But as I say, I have yet to make my mind up where to start from. I would want to complete the walk in around three weeks if I do start from Lisbon which would involve stretches of 25-30 kms daily, that said, it is a flat walk. :)

Best wishes
Hi Magwood,

Further to my previous message

I was searching through the forums and came across this thread concerning the Lisbon to Porto walk. Having read it I will almost certainly now start at Porto.

http://www.caminoforums.com/camino-portugues/2135-portuguese-camino-2011-lisbon-porto.html

Rog

"Hi there. I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014. I'm a 52 year old Kiwi lady, unfit and certainly not used to walking long distances, but I am excited and enthusiastic and above all determined so hoping this will pull me through! I'll be on my own (which I am a bit worried about I admit) .... my husband left me this time last year after 27 years of marriage."

Dont worry about 'unfit', just go slower till you are fit. Age? You're a slip of a girl if you look at the age profile of pilgrims. On your own? Brilliant! - you'll be open to engage with others. If you go in a group, you'll talk to that group. On your own, you'll talk to the world.

Your husband left? An end to conflict? So you're free!

And you're a McGregor whose motto (if memory serves) is "My Race Is Royal" . You go, princess!

Wonderful set of qualifications for the next chapter of your life. How exciting! I'm not kidding!

You'll have great time. Breathe deep and love the life to come!

Last edited:
Hi Trish,
I did the Camino Frances in 2010 and this year will do the Camono Portuguese. Here's my brief take on the CF. Good luck to you.

It started out well, 7am through the deserted cobbled streets of St John Pied de Port, out through the old town gates and up the gently rising route Napoleon for the 27 kilometre trek over the mountain. The road eventually narrowed to the width of a Devon country lane. As I rose higher so did the sun until several hours later I was sweltering in thirty degree heat, with the town I had left hidden by the valley mist.
Eventually the road gave way to mountain track and I was bent double with sweat pooling in my glasses and dripping down onto my shorts. As I hauled myself, exhausted, up the last of the 1440 metres to the top of the Col de Lepoeder I could see the abbey at Roncesvalles nestling in the trees some way below. I knew, having reached that goal, and put my boots into the specially constructed boot depository, that smelled like a dump for rotten Camembert, that I would make it the remainder of the way to Santiago de Compostela.
Roncesvalles set the tone for the days to come. Up early, walk and then buy food for lunch. I quickly learned that taking a rucksack into a small shop in an isolated village was not a good idea as when turning to look at what was on offer I invariably set about demolishing shelves stacked with tinned food. Comments were made but I don’t think any of them were, ‘Good morning, how are you?‘
I would then complete the morning’s walk and have lunch. After I would walk away the afternoon before stopping at a hostel to get the prized stamp on the passport. I would need one from each place I stayed on route to show to the church authorities at Santiago de Compostela in order to get my certificate for completing the journey.
Then it was wash that day’s clothes, complete my journal, check the photos and bed at 9pm and hope to get to sleep before the snoring started. Rows of bunk beds were the order of the day and, believe me, there were seismic grunts coming from some nostrils that made me mighty glad I had opted to take earplugs. There is no discrimination, men and women share the same space and those that are unmarried get a taste of things to come.
The Basque country quickly gave way to the vineyards of Rioja and the wide gravel paths that meandered through them. I breakfasted on grapes straight from the vine, a deliciously sweet and juicy start to each day. I was soon to pass through the cathedral cities of Pamplona and Burgos where the trudge through the latter’s seemingly endless industrial suburbs proved a daunting task. It was worth it, though, as I later wandered through the massive Gothic cathedral where El Cid, the city's most illustrious son, is buried.
Between Burgos and Lyon is the Meseta, a vast area of endless fields with no boundaries, hidden valleys, open plains, and tiny villages dotted along the way like carelessly sown corn seed. It is the place that many choose to avoid by taking the bus from Burgos to Lyon, for once you have accepted the challenge of this land you are open to all the elements can throw at you, and for me that was to be stifling temperatures and a headlong wind that seemed to push me back like a giant open hand.
The stony tracks were long, straight, unprotected and seemed never ending, and when I thought I had got to the end of one another limitless horizon appeared. This is part of the Camino where stubbornness and determination are your allies, and timidity and self-doubt your foes. It took me four days to cross the Meseta and I’m glad I took it on.
The region of Cantabrica is the penultimate challenge before entering the home straight that is Galicia. Throughout my journey I had to be aware that the sun was constantly shining on my left as I plodded westward, and afford that side of my body special protection. Once in Cantabrica the mountains to my right curled round toward me like a scimitar and I knew that these were the last real challenge before reaching my goal.
By now I had left more villages in my wake than I had left to pass through, yet I still had soaring temperatures to contend with. As I struggled late one afternoon through the village of Trabadelo the thermometer on the wall of the church was registering 40C, I thought it prudent at that stage to cut short the day’s walk and seek shelter.
At 1,300 metres the village of O’Cebreiro is usually clouded in mist and rain. Once more I was climbing in excessive heat, my back bent double and my hands supporting my pack as I struggled to the top. A few kilometres from the village I walked into Galicia, and the final leg of my journey.
It rains a lot in Galicia which means its fertile soil is covered in a patchwork of greens of varying hues. Small farms lie along narrow walled in dirt tracks which, in the early morning, as the sun breaks the dark veil of night appear as they must have to the Medieval pilgrim. As I made my lone journey through them only the snuffling of the cattle and lazy bark of a slumbering dog broke the eerie and mysterious silence. Farmers were praying for rain as the unusually hot weather continued and the incessant heat started to crisp the vast quantities of sweet corn that would serve as winter fodder.
At noon on the twenty-second day I entered the suburbs of Santiago de Compostela after a hard morning’s walk. The signs reinvigorated my aching legs as they beckoned me towards my goal. Down a steep hill past the eccentric pilgrim’s shelters at Mont del Gozo to cross a wooden pedestrian walkway that traversed the track like some Middle Age afterthought. Along the pavement and through the jungle of car showrooms, bathrooms for sale and anodyne office blocks.
The pilgrim signs and gold coloured shells embedded into the pavement were drawing me in like a fish on a hook and I found myself walking faster and harder. I was now into streets bordered by four story glass balconied houses. One last set of traffic lights negotiated found me in the old town surrounded by sombre and self important stone buildings. A last uphill march taken at a gallop, before I dropped down to walk under an arch where a lone piper was blowing a lament that only a bag of cats could make sense of. Descending a handful of steps I found myself in bright sunlight that illuminated the huge square in which the extravagant gothic spires of the cathedral of St James paid homage to a sky of deep blue.
I punched the air and clapped in self congratulation, no one took any notice, they had seen it all before. Just another pilgrim arriving, but this pilgrim was me. I had sweated gallons, nursed sore feet and an aching back and stumbled through twenty two days of dark starts, and, in the process, had raised over £5000 pounds for my charity.
The following day I attended midday mass to hear from the alter that an English man had arrived from St Jean pied du Port. I looked around for him and realised it was me. I felt very humble, and very proud.
Read less of my story
Hi there .... what a wonderful story. Makes me feel like I'm there already! Thanks for taking the time to tell your story. Cheers, Trish

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Hi there. I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014. I'm a 52 year old Kiwi lady, unfit and certainly not used to walking long distances, but I am excited and enthusiastic and above all determined so hoping this will pull me through! I'll be on my own (which I am a bit worried about I admit) .... my husband left me this time last year after 27 years of marriage."

Dont worry about 'unfit', just go slower till you are fit. Age? You're a slip of a girl if you look at the age profile of pilgrims. On your own? Brilliant! - you'll be open to engage with others. If you go in a group, you'll talk to that group. On your own, you'll talk to the world.

Your husband left? An end to conflict? So you're free!

And you're a McGregor whose motto (if memory serves) is "My Race Is Royal" . You go, princess!

Wonderful set of qualifications for the next chapter of your life. How exciting! I'm not kidding!

You'll have great time. Breathe deep and love the life to come!
Hi there ... thanks for your kind words and support. I do feel like it's going to be a new chapter in my life .... the hard part is trying to accept that I don't have a future with my husband anymore and it's "just me". We had no conflict in our marriage .... so a bolt out of the blue so to speak! But I am very excited about doing this on my own and hope it will make me stronger. Thanks again .... Trish

trish, fall is the best time to go. i just completed camino frances and it was a great adventure. you are smart to learn spanish and get in shape. take a lot meds for your feet and inevitable blisters. keep your pack light. make friends but also walk alone for you are never alone. the camino will provide. buen camino.

trish, fall is the best time to go. i just completed camino frances and it was a great adventure. you are smart to learn spanish and get in shape. take a lot meds for your feet and inevitable blisters. keep your pack light. make friends but also walk alone for you are never alone. the camino will provide. buen camino.
Hi Lawrence ... thanks for your support. Yes I'm happy to be going in autumn .... didn't have much of a choice though as I have to have time to save and is a good time for me to take 3 months off work. So good to hear that it's a great time to go. I am looking forward to my adventure that's for sure. If you think of anything that I should know, let me know! Would very much appreciate and value your advice. People on this forum are wonderful ... I am learning so much every day. Cheers, Trish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
trish, one other thing i forgot to mention is give yourself plenty of time on the camino, 40 days is not too many. what happened to me was i would often get to a place, like pamplona, i wanted to spend more time, but by the time i got there i was so tired i didn't want to do anything but sleep. like brierley says in his book, it is not a race. that said, walking that trail is addictive. i found myself frequently feeling guilty if i was not on it. my favorite times were before daybreak, finding the yellow arrows by flashlight, and enjoying the stars and the solitude. also the albergue in cizur menor is the best, hands down. buen camino

€60,-
I took 42 days. I think I rushed it! Next time I'll take as long as it takes.
Regds
Gerard
Do you think this route would be too crowded? Just wondering if the walk from Lisbon or one of the other routes through France might be less 'touristy' if you know what I mean. I am looking for a combination of solitude and friendship and definitely no scrambling or jostling for beds each day. Your thoughts?

Do you think this route would be too crowded? Just wondering if the walk from Lisbon or one of the other routes through France might be less 'touristy' if you know what I mean. I am looking for a combination of solitude and friendship and definitely no scrambling or jostling for beds each day. Your thoughts?
Compared to the Camino Frances any route appears less crowded.
So if the CF doesn't appeal, then perhaps your other route should be selected based on other criteria: scenery, the daily distance to be travelled between suitably priced accommodation, the difficulty of the terrain, the availability of water and food along the way, personal safety considerations, must see sights, etc.
The amount of available accommodation on any route is nearly always in direct relationship to the number of travellers passing. So a busy time on any route is a busy time for it's accommodation.
You'll find plenty of advice on the forum regarding ways to avoid the scrambling for beds. However not once did I, or many others I met along the way, have trouble finding a bed, possibly/probably? because we weren't dependant on staying in the absolutely cheapest 'donativo' or 'municipal' albergues.

I can't give advice on the 'solitude' aspect. The greatest interest & enjoyment of Caminoing (and travelling in general) for me, comes from the company of my fellow travellers and from locals. For me, the more the merrier.

Regds
Gerard

€60,-
Compared to the Camino Frances any route appears less crowded.
So if the CF doesn't appeal, then perhaps your other route should be selected based on other criteria: scenery, the daily distance to be travelled between suitably priced accommodation, the difficulty of the terrain, the availability of water and food along the way, personal safety considerations, must see sights, etc.
The amount of available accommodation on any route is nearly always in direct relationship to the number of travellers passing. So a busy time on any route is a busy time for it's accommodation.
You'll find plenty of advice on the forum regarding ways to avoid the scrambling for beds. However not once did I, or many others I met along the way, have trouble finding a bed, possibly/probably? because we weren't dependant on staying in the absolutely cheapest 'donativo' or 'municipal' albergues.

I can't give advice on the 'solitude' aspect. The greatest interest & enjoyment of Caminoing (and travelling in general) for me, comes from the company of my fellow travellers and from locals. For me, the more the merrier.

Regds
Gerard
Thanks Gerard. You make a lot of sense. What I am looking for is less of a tourist experience, and more of a walk that will give me peace, reflection and solitude, as well as friendship and companionship. What would really annoy me would be hundreds/thousands of people walking the trail at the same time as me. Company I like, but crowds not so much.
I am a very sociable person but am struggling with personal challenges at the moment and want to be able to be solitary and silent if that's what I need. I am loving the planning and excitement of doing something so momentous but at the same time want it to be special and significant. Am I on the right 'track' thinking about the CF?

Thanks Gerard. You make a lot of sense. What I am looking for is less of a tourist experience, and more of a walk that will give me peace, reflection and solitude, as well as friendship and companionship. What would really annoy me would be . Company I like, but crowds not so much.
I am a very sociable person but am struggling with personal challenges at the moment and want to be able to be solitary and silent if that's what I need. I am loving the planning and excitement of doing something so momentous but at the same time want it to be special and significant. Am I on the right 'track' thinking about the CF?
It's hard to say if you are on the right track. That's a personal opinion.
What I will say is that you will never find hundreds/thousands of people walking the trail at the same time as you. This is not a touristy experience. You will find people with a sense of adventure, old people and young people, people with blisters and sprains who keep walking, brave people, noble people, kind people, interesting people. You won't find many fools. Fools and idiots don't walk the Camino.
Only fools and idiots like us.
We'd like you to come join us.

Regds
Gerard

Hello adele,

May i make a suggestion, i don't really think you will enjoyed the camino frances. You seek solitude, peace of mind and time for reflection. I would suggest you pick another camino. I have done both the camino frances and vdlp, i do not have any exprience with other caminos. The two caminos that i walked is the complete opposite in terms of meeting many other peregrinos.

I did the vdlp this past february and i hardly met any peregrinos. However it gave me plenty of time for peace and quiet and to enjoy the walk without any unwelcome distraction.

I did the camino frances during may/june of last year, and it was full of peregrinos.

And i will walking the caminho portugues this coming february or march from lisboa to sdc. This route will not be crowded like the cf.

However this is your camino, you can choose to walk alone or with fellow peregrinos. I suspect towards the end you will eventually be walking with your new-found camino families, with friendship that will last forever.

Happy planning and buen camino. God bless.

€60,-
It's hard to say if you are on the right track. That's a personal opinion.
What I will say is that you will never find hundreds/thousands of people walking the trail at the same time as you. This is not a touristy experience. You will find people with a sense of adventure, old people and young people, people with blisters and sprains who keep walking, brave people, noble people, kind people, interesting people. You won't find many fools. Fools and idiots don't walk the Camino.
Only fools and idiots like us.
We'd like you to come join us.

Regds
Gerard
Thanks Gerard. Really appreciate you responding so quickly at this difficult time. You've helped me make my decision.
Today will be my first training day - going to put my (small) pack on and walk. The first step is going to be hard because I feel so broken inside but I am going to make that first step today.
And I WILL do the Camino next year because I can proudly say that I am an idiot and a fool! Bring it on I say - I'm up for it.
Might even see you on the track!

Adele :)

Thanks Gerard. Really appreciate you responding so quickly at this difficult time. You've helped me make my decision.
Today will be my first training day - going to put my (small) pack on and walk. The first step is going to be hard because I feel so broken inside but I am going to make that first step today.
And I WILL do the Camino next year because I can proudly say that I am an idiot and a fool! Bring it on I say - I'm up for it.
Might even see you on the track!

Adele :)
Hi Adele .... so glad you've made the decision to walk next year. Starting is the hardest part .... so you are now on your way. Hope you decide to do it in September ... would be great if we met up! Take care and good luck with your journey. Cheers, Trish.

Adele, every journey starts with a single step, on the Camino one million steps are waiting for you. Walk careful, and don't be to hard to your body, preparation is good when it doesn't hurt, slowly more and more, with the more, more feel better inside. You're on your way. Buen Camino :)

Hi Adele .... so glad you've made the decision to walk next year. Starting is the hardest part .... so you are now on your way. Hope you decide to do it in September ... would be great if we met up! Take care and good luck with your journey. Cheers, Trish.
Hi Trish,
I feel great having made the decision to do the Camino, but I'm not sure I can wait until September even though my head says its the right time to go. I have a strong urge to throw caution to the wind and head over in February or March. How I could afford that is a different matter! And I'm not sure it would be so enjoyable in the cold and rain.
Don't like Sunday nights. Oh well, nearly Christmas.
Take care
Adele

Adele, every journey starts with a single step, on the Camino one million steps are waiting for you. Walk careful, and don't be to hard to your body, preparation is good when it doesn't hurt, slowly more and more, with the more, more feel better inside. You're on your way. Buen Camino :)
Thank you for your kind words. Patience isn't my greatest strength so it will be a challenge for me to take time with my preparation and to walk the Camino later in the year. I want to do it now!
Take care
Adele

Hello adele,

May i make a suggestion, i don't really think you will enjoyed the camino frances. You seek solitude, peace of mind and time for reflection. I would suggest you pick another camino. I have done both the camino frances and vdlp, i do not have any exprience with other caminos. The two caminos that i walked is the complete opposite in terms of meeting many other peregrinos.

I did the vdlp this past february and i hardly met any peregrinos. However it gave me plenty of time for peace and quiet and to enjoy the walk without any unwelcome distraction.

I did the camino frances during may/june of last year, and it was full of peregrinos.

And i will walking the caminho portugues this coming february or march from lisboa to sdc. This route will not be crowded like the cf.

However this is your camino, you can choose to walk alone or with fellow peregrinos. I suspect towards the end you will eventually be walking with your new-found camino families, with friendship that will last forever.

Happy planning and buen camino. God bless.
Thanks for your reply. I am interested in your plans to walk the Camino Portugues in February. I know that it will be cold and wet at that time of the year. Aren't you worried that the weather will take away some of the pleasure of the walk?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your reply. I am interested in your plans to walk the Camino Portugues in February. I know that it will be cold and wet at that time of the year. Aren't you worried that the weather will take away some of the pleasure of the walk?

Hello adele,

First a little background to my vdlp.

I flew to sevilla from,london and stayed in sevilla 2 nights to enjoy the beautiful city. Started my camino 03/02/2013, stayed a second night in merida, visited friends and stayed 4 nights in salamanca. Arrived sdc the 14/03/2013. Total walking days 36 days, 1000 km or more,

First half of the camino up to salamanca (500 km), the weather was quite nice and warm. Normally the temperature can be quite cold at 5-10 degree c in the morning and the sun does not come up until around 8 am. As the fog lifted, it can get quite warm as the day goes. I walked with only a t-shirt and convertible pant. The sun can be quite hot. You do not feel the cold.

60 km south of salamanca, the heaven opened up with continuous rain for 14 days until 2 days before sdc. North of zamora is where i encountered very heavy rain, strong winds and even snow as i entered galicia.

In terms of enjoyment, the vdlp is quite different from the camino frances. Historically, you can visit the ruins at italica, caparra, merida, caceres, etc. the country side is beautiful even at this time of the year. Of course it will even be more enjoyable if you are walking in the spring time. You can also enjoy the great centre of learning in salamanca. Salamanca is steeped in history, the biggest plaza mayor in spain and also the second oldest university in europe.

Rain or shine, i walked and i stopped walking for only half a day as this was the heaviest rain i ever encountered in the camino. Basically the wet weather did not distract me from walking the winter camino and to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the camino.

Another plus to the winter camino, you do not have to rush to the next town for the bed. However not all the albergues are opened. Many shut down for the winter from the 16th of october to the end of march. So you may have to stay in casas rurales, hostal particular, private accommodation. This will be extra expenses unless you are walking with another peregrino and you can share a room to cut down the expense.

One word of warming, you are not going to meet many peregrinos. If you want solitude, peace of mind and time for reflection, these less travelled caminos are the ones for you.

I normally will be walking the camino in winter as i will be working most of the time this year as a volunteer in santiago in other times.

Buen camino and good luck on your planning. God bless and a happy christmas to you and your family.

Last edited:
Hi Adele,
It really doesn't sound like the Frances is for you. The Portuguese route would suit you nicely - beautiful, quiet and very few pilgrims. Accommodation is a bit of an issue between Lisboa and Porto as there are few pilgrim options. You can stay in fire halls at little or no cost (I did), but otherwise, you may have to spend a little more to pass the night.
Albergues are available between Porto and Santiago.
With it's spectacular scenery and solitude, El Norte would also be perfect for you, but it is more physically demanding. Starting from Bilbao, rather than Irun, would eliminate much of the toughest part.
Buen camino!

Hola Adele. We too like the quiet routes. To add to the suggestions so far would be part of the Norte, then at Villaviciosa turn towards Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. Alternatively simply start in Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. There will be pilgrims, but not in huge numbers until you join the Francés at Melide.
The route has some challenges, but they are doable and IMHO no harder than what I read about the first days out of SJPP, with the added advantage that you are acclimatised more when you hit them. (This is true if you start from Santander, others can comment on the Irun to Santander stages)
If I can walk the Primitivo.............:)
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there Gerard and Trish.
Went on a nice long walk today. Made my legs ache because I went in my leather tramping boots. Doh! Decided that they would be way too heavy for the Camino, so picked up some Merrell hiking boots at FCO this arvo. Half price so that made me happy. Onto finding a pack next.
I'm going to start the walk at about the same time as the both of you but am planning to do some cycling in Holland first. I have just made contact with my dad's family there so want to meet them and have a god look around Holland before I start the Camino. But I want to start the walk in the first week of Septemer.
It's all I can think about especially when the days are a struggle.
Hope you are both well.
Take care my Camino friends!
Adele

Hola Adele. We too like the quiet routes. To add to the suggestions so far would be part of the Norte, then at Villaviciosa turn towards Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. Alternatively simply start in Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. There will be pilgrims, but not in huge numbers until you join the Francés at Melide.
The route has some challenges, but they are doable and IMHO no harder than what I read about the first days out of SJPP, with the added advantage that you are acclimatised more when you hit them. (This is true if you start from Santander, others can comment on the Irun to Santander stages)
Buen Camino
I
Hi there,
I'll do some research on your suggestions. You really know your stuff! I'm impressed!
Many thanks,
Adele

Buen Camino
I like your thinking! Many thanks for the suggestions. I am up for a challenge!
Take care
Adele

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Went on a nice long walk today. Made my legs ache because I went in my leather tramping boots. Doh! Decided that they would be way too heavy for the Camino, so picked up some Merrell hiking boots at FCO this arvo. Half price so that made me happy. Onto finding a pack next.
I'm going to start the walk at about the same time as the both of you but am planning to do some cycling in Holland first. I have just made contact with my dad's family there so want to meet them and have a god look around Holland before I start the Camino. But I want to start the walk in the first week of Septemer.
Hope you are both well.
Adele
Hi there Adele .... good to hear that you've started your training. You're in for an exciting time with the cycling too. You have a great Xmas .... try and stay positive and think about next year and all the joy and fun it will be bring. Take care, Trish xx

I am 55yo in a similar situation and intend to do the walk in may June this year 2014, I believe it is the spiritual awakening I need. I am indeed all of the above but these minor obstacles I will overcome. This site is invaluable.
Thank you

I am 55yo in a similar situation and intend to do the walk in may June this year 2014, I believe it is the spiritual awakening I need. I am indeed all of the above but these minor obstacles I will overcome. This site is invaluable.
Thank you
Good on you Mary. I love your attitude. I probably won't see you as I'm thinking about doing the Camino late August beginning of Septmeber, but you never know. So good luck with everything. Buen Camino.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hope you are both well.
Adele
Hi there Adele ... hope the new year finds you well and fighting fit!! I've just got back from a New Year trip to Fiji ... and must admit I did not do a lot of walking. More eating and drinking unfortunately! I'm back to work Wednesday this week and will be starting my regime. Good luck with your training .... we have got something very exciting to look forward to this year. Take care, Trish. xx

Bom Caminho !

Hi Trish, perfect age perfect time, as a ex kiwi going myself for the first time next september too. Hope I see you on the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really don't understand all the comments about the Camino Francés not being suitable for an introspective pilgrimage. I've walked it twice from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Finisterre and have also walked other routes in France and in Spain. The numbers on the Francés in no way made a difference to my reflections and, in fact, my most significant "lessons" were given to me on the Francés. Perhaps that was because it was where I did my first pilgrimage but it certainly gave me a soft spot for that route and I know that I will head there again.

I've met wonderful people on every pilgrimage I've done. Some of them I've walked with for an hour or so, some for whole days. However, a polite statement of a need to walk alone was all it took to have my new-found friends leave me to my reflections. It is not difficult to be in your own space even when there are lots of people on the Camino. Although I knew there were hundreds on the stage I was walking on any particular day, I could often see no-one in front of me or behind me. It seemed to be the best of both worlds because I could be alone with my thoughts but had the companionship of others at the end of the day.

Hi there Adele ... hope the new year finds you well and fighting fit!! I've just got back from a New Year trip to Fiji ... and must admit I did not do a lot of walking. More eating and drinking unfortunately! I'm back to work Wednesday this week and will be starting my regime. Good luck with your training .... we have got something very exciting to look forward to this year. Take care, Trish. xx
How lovely to hear from you and how fantastic to hear that you've been in Fiji. Awesome. Probably just what you needed even more than walking!
I've been out for a few more walks. My legs always ache afterwards and now one of my toe nails has gone black! I have realised that it is really important for me to be as fit as possible for the Camino. If I struggle to walk the 25kms I plan to do each day, even with rest days, I think it will make it way less enjoyable for me. So I'll carry on doing as much walking as I can but it won't be as easy once I get back to work.
I'm also thinking of adding to the length of my Camino by starting further back in a France but probably not as far back as Le Puy. The planning and dreaming about it is very exciting. Definitely lifts my spirits when I'm having not so great moments.
Hope you are all good.
Take care,
Adele

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Trisha, it'll be a wonderful experience for you. A f
riend and I did it in 2011. We made a wonderful friend from Canada on the way and the 3 of us will be walking together again in September 2014. My friend Pat and I are from Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Trisha, it'll be a wonderful experience for you. A f
riend and I did it in 2011. We made a wonderful friend from Canada on the way and the 3 of us will be walking together again in September 2014. My friend Pat and I are from Adelaide, South Australia.
Hello there! Lovely to hear that you'll be there the same time as me. I am so looking forward to it, albeit a bit nervous about the whole thing! Especially when I think of all the hard work I'm having to do between now and then! Hope to see you there ... take care, Trish.

So proud of you! You will do great! Like you, I am a first timer and hope to walk in April, 2014! I too may be by myself so it is encouraging to hear that it is ok to do it that way! And safe! I just joined this forum today! I am very excited to read all of the postings! Buen Camino!

€60,-
So proud of you! You will do great! Like you, I am a first timer and hope to walk in April, 2014! I too may be by myself so it is encouraging to hear that it is ok to do it that way! And safe! I just joined this forum today! I am very excited to read all of the postings! Buen Camino!

Trust your camino will be great.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.