• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi...first Camino

adridani

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances (2013)
Hi to all, this is going to be our first Camino! We only have one week with my husband (it's his 60th birthday gift!) and have decided to start in Sarria. We already know that it will not be the last!
I have some questions, will be fling from NY to Madrid. Is it better to take bus or train?
We will be renting a car from Santiago and driving back to Madrid. Can we leave our small carry on in Sarria?
Thanks to All y BUEN CAMINO.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
adridani said:
Hi to all, this is going to be our first Camino! We only have one week with my husband (it's his 60th birthday gift!) and have decided to start in Sarria. We already know that it will not be the last!
I have some questions, will be fling from NY to Madrid. Is it better to take bus or train?
We will be renting a car from Santiago and driving back to Madrid. Can we leave our small carry on in Sarria?
Thanks to All y BUEN CAMINO.....

adridani,

What a wonderful way to celebrate an important birthday!

It is faster to take the train from Madrid to Sarria; the total journey is roughly 8 hours. The route is usually Madrid-Chamartin station to Palencia then changing for a train to Sarria. Check this Spanish national railroad RENFE site for detailed information. >> http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

If you plan on staying overnight in Sarria in a hotel or private albergue to which you will return on your drive back you should be able to leave your case. My favorite private albergue in Sarria which also has some individual rooms is O Durminento. For more info see >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-f ... in-sarria/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

It is a great way to mark a milestone in your life, like your husband's 60th birthday.
Your plans sound terrific, and very achievable.
One day by train, Madrid to Sarria,
Three days walking, Sarria to Santiago,
One day in Santiago to attend the pilgrims Mass in the Cathedral and see the sights.
One day to Drive, Santiago to Madrid
And one day to spare...
A truly wonderful holiday...

I would see if you can pack light and avoid leaving a suitcase in Sarria, although I'm sure many pilgrims have done exactly what you suggest.

If you wear one set of "walking clothes" and carry one set of "evening clothes" to wear to dinner, and while travelling, you should not need a suitcase.

Read the forum. All the information you need is here. And if you can't find it, just ask. Members are very glad to share what has worked, or not worked for them.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!!!
I have been reading and seems that starting in Sarria does not give you the whole experience of El Camino. We are thinking of starting to walk from Burgos for a couple of days, than take a bus so we walk into Santiago. We are aware that we will not be able to obtain the Compostela, but maybe the experience will be better?
Any comments welcome!

BUEN CAMINO

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.