• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, I am from Florida in USA.

circa1658

I plan to complete the Camino Frances to benefit myself physically, mentally and spiritually by bringing me closer in my walk and my faith. I have no real hiking experience and also could use to lose maybe some weight or a few sizes. :) I plan to begin the CF in St. Jean Pied by flying to San Sebastian or Pamplona and taking a bus there around early or mid-April (still have to buy my flight and expedite my passport) and ending in Santiago de Compostela (or the Finnistere if I finish earlier). I am training to break in shoes and get my endurance to around 15 miles each day.

Right now I am looking for a good low-cut or ankle-cut boot. I have heard very good things about the Salomon Wing models for men. I am approximately 175 lbs, 5'9" and somewhat athletic (I used to bike very often but now I will walk the Camino Frances). This is also my first trip outside of USA!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome!

An adventure for you on many levels indeed! Ask your questions, and forum members will be happy to help out.

If you use the "search" function at the top right of the page, and enter shoes, boots or footwear, you will find a number of discussions on the subject. There are opinions galore on the "right" footwear for walking, but everyone's feet are entirely different. The best plan is to go into an outdoor gear store and get a knowledgeable person to help you with the proper fit. Boots and shoes should not require a lot of "breaking in". If they don't feel right, or if they have "hot spots" at the beginning, :( don't buy them. You should be able to find something that fits perfectly and feels great right off the bat.

Have a wonderful journey and buen camino.

lynne

Hi, and welcome.
If you haven't booked your flight yet, consider flying in to Biarritz, France.
It is the closest airport to Saint Jean Pied du Port and the train connection to SJPP is excellent.

Pamplona to Roncesvalles is OK by bus, or taxi if you share the cost with a couple other pilgrims, but the connection from Pamplona or Roncesvalles to SJPP is by taxi only.

when you land in Biarritz, take the transit bus #6 or a taxi to Bayonne, Place du Gare. Literally "Trainstation Square". From there you will connect to 4 or 5 trains per day to SJPP. The train from Bayonne to SJPP is a little over an hour.

Best wishes for a wonderful Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Consider getting an "open jaw" ticket from the US. It's not that much more expensive than a regular round trip. This way you can fly into Paris & take EasyJet to Biarritz, then the metro bus to Bayonne & the regular train to SJP.

Or if you want to fly into San Sebastian (from where?), you can take a bus across the Spanish/French border to Hendaye, then the train to Bayonne. Just work this guy's directions in reverse.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... G-C-1.html

And check out the day rates at the CDG airport in Paris if you need a place to rest before your flight to Biarritz (depending on the flight time).

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about how I did this. :)
Kelly

oooo, a fellow Floridian. 8) I hope you've been working on your cardio. :D Going from a flat state such as Florida to the mountains of Spain nearly killed me.

I went to St. Jean Pied de Port via Paris. I took a train from Paris. That might be a good (and perhaps cheaper option) I flew out of Madrid and used an all night bus trip from Santiago for about 50 Euro. I had an open jaw ticket.

Another word of advice from a Floridian.... the nights are colder than you think. I wish I would have had a warmer sleeping bag.

Hi there, re boots, the size is very important. When you try them on make sure you wear the kind of socks you will wear on the Camino, Also, do not let the sales person tell you want you want because they more than likely will never have done what you are about to do. Your foot needs room to swel and sweat. So for me I used a boot that was actually 1/2 larger than I usually wear because I also added som insoles called "Superfeet". I took out the insoles that came with the boot. When you try them on, tie them tightly and walk and then loosen the up a llittle to see the difference. I found that even tough I wore a 1/2 size larger, tieing them tightly to keep them for slipping only hurt my upper foot. Once I learned to loosen the ties I had no pain and all through my Caminos (2) I never had a single blister.

Happy shopping.

€46,-
Dana from Daytona (Beach, Florida)...since we are from a flat state, we can't prepare the same. A mistake I made when I did my Camino 3 years ago alone, was trying to keep up with 3 fit guys that I walked with the last 4 days. Big mistake...I pushed & hurt later. Go at your own pace, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get up & down the mountains. Also, I used 2 Leki titanium walking sticks ($) that helped me tremendously. Have someone teach you how to use them & they'll give you confidence, safety & help both up & down the mountains. It's a phenomenal experience! Will do it over & over. Am going April 26, 2011 with my 33 year old son to walk from Leon to Santiago (200 miles). Can't wait. Hoping to do the whole thing again in a year. Good luck...Buen Camino!
(p.s. where in Florida do you live?)

From the US you can fly to Dublin , spent the night near the airport and catch a Ryanair flight to Barritz(france) then easy ride to St Jean PP. Then the night there and walk the next day . This beats the jet lag. Done it four times , sure beats the Paris or Madrid flights

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back