• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi! I plan to walk in a month

Beginner

Hello,

How are you?
I have a change to walk to Santiago de Compostela in one month, but I'm worried am I in that good physical condition. I have 15 kg:s overweight, and I haven't been training at all :oops: (since I got this opportunity only about a week ago). I have 5 weeks to walk.

What do you recommend, should I try or is it wise just to leave it?

Thank you all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd say just watch your heartbeat stays nice and steady - slow down if it speeds up, and watch out for damage to your lower joints/ligaments.

I'm late 50's with a body like an old overstuffed mattress (since I gave up smoking ages ago) and a duff knee from an old trauma --- I practised by starting a couple of weeks back in France and just, well, did it and it worked, though I'm no couch lizard so it wasn't a completely wild shock to my body.

You will meet utter ancients, heavy people, disabled people - just listen to your body, get a rythym going, and take care and have fun.

Be not afraid, this has been going on for over 1200 years - jump in! (and you can always pray for help you know!)

Obviously the advice would be to take things easy-at least initially. I had some carliege removed about 9 months before walking the vdlp and did plenty of walking before I left. I had no problems-one small blister but met others who buggered knees or crippled themselves with blisters. One woman regretted not losing weight before had as the weight she was carrying stuffed her knees and she had to stop.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hola Beginner!
what day r you starting and from where?
you walking all the way to santiago?
im far of being in shape 2
but im only 30 (31 on my way to satiago)
and under weight :S
im leaving canada the 27 for toulouse from there ill be taking train(hopefully i dont end up in estern europe :p)to st-jean-pied.. i should start walking on the 28-29(28 if its not too late)
ill be solo walking soul searching and hopefully i dont turn in too my pic :wink:

Hello,

and thank you.
My holiday starts at Eastern, and I don't know yet from where tho start.
I have 4 (or absolutely maximun 5) weeks, and will walk quite slowly. Maybe 15-20 kilometers in a day, so I'll need to so some math...

I won't be having any time at all to exercise before leaving, but loosing weight is something I can do. Let's see... in one month... maybe I'll be 5 kilos smaller :?

Yes. I do even try it. I can come back home if I don't make it -this time.

:) Thank you.

Hi Beginner.

Statrt walking 20" a day now, slowly, then gradually a bit faster.

When you feel comfortbale, increase it to 30" and so on.

On the Camino, plan for short walks for the first couple of weeks.

You'll be fine.

Buen Camino peregrina 8)

xm

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back