• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to Walk the French Route on the Camino de Santiago in 2024

francis604

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hi all,

My partner and I are planning to walk the French route from Pied de Port in either the spring or fall of 2024.
Timing depends on vacation time from work and other mundane realities of life.
I've been reading John Brierly's guidebook a lot and consuming as much Camino de Santiago/Saint James lore as possible lately.
We're from Vancouver, Canada 😀
Excited to meet folks here and on the Way.

Cheers,
Francis

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome! We did CF both in the fall (2017) and the spring (2023). Both were great. Weather was fantastic both times. Not too hot. Not too cold. Spring was nice because the days were longer and got longer as we went. But either one is a fantastic experience.

Brierly's book is one of the best at helping you prepare. I would not go without it in my pack, and I used it on both trips as a reference. Brierly's book, like all guidebooks for the Camino, are very helpful at giving you some idea how to break up such a journey into manageable pieces. But it is a guidebook, NOT a rulebook. Once you get going you will figure out how long a day is comfortable for you then you can use the guides to plan your stops. Many of the towns and villages in between Brierly stops are wonderful. Prepare, then just let it happen.

I hope you have a wonderful time. Part of the adventure is the preparation so you are well on your way.

Buen Camino

Thanks Tim! I'm enjoying the detail in Brierly's book and his suggested quieter routes.
You are welcome! Camino is such a unique experience I always enjoy talking with people about it. Something else you should think about is how much you want isolation vs the company of other pilgrims. Some people - I think Brierly falls into this category - really emphasize solitude. I, on the other hand, will tell you that what I most enjoy about Camino is the people I meet from all over the world. Even on a "crowded path" you can still get a lot of alone time. You also get more places to stay, places to eat, places to buy supplies, pharmacies, etc. Something to think about as you choose your path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back