• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi - VdlPlata Pt 1 next month

Cecilia

Hi,
I'm from Northern California, and about to start my 2nd Camino. With God's blessing, I plan to start Via de la Plata from Sevilla next month. I have read this forum often, but just registered. Any latest info about maps is much appreciated. Buen Camino.

Cecilia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've used the Alison Raju book in 2006 from Seville and again from Granada in 2008. In parts in was already out of date and had errors in 2006 but it is useful. The route is well marked but there has been quite extensive road works in the last few years.It is a great route-merida and salamanca are great-especially the latter whose plaza is recently mentioned in a book of 1000 places to see before you die. http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles is useful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Cecilia,

I'm also planning to start the Vdlp from Sevilla in April. I still haven't decided whether to start during Semana Santa or after it. When are you going to start? My one concern is that I know that Holy Week in Sevilla is extremely saturated with tourists and accommodation will be expensive and very hard to find.

I have the Confraternity guide that was printed in 2005, and I've been annotating and updating with some great posts on this forum (like Dawn of a New Day's listing of albergues from her walk last fall). I think it seems pretty complete.

Laurie

Besides Sevilla being absolutely full during Semana Santa, you should consider that during SS also the major towns along the VDP such as Merida, Caceres ansd Salamanca are rather busy as they have some real big processions attracting people from the sorriunding areas. Booking accomodation in advance would be recommended. Also along VDP , SS brings a significant increase of Spanish walkers and bikers doing weekly stages along the trail. After SS , albergues capacity is normally largely enough to accomodate all pilgrims.
Buen Camino !
Giorgio

I was in Sevilla during Semana Santa a few years back.
Yes, it's crowded, but it's also spiritual and magical!
So... if you want to be there, just plan for the crowds, get your reservations in (if you can still find a place) and enjoy the festivities!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, all for your helpful information. I downloaded some maps from the consumer.es, and will try the Alison Raju or Cole's books from amazon.

I'm arriving to Sevilla after SS and the week before la Feria de Abril. Any suggestions about where to stay are welcome. Again, many thanks and blessings to all.
Cecilia

Cecilia

I'm so jealous of you guys embarking on the VdlP. It is a wonderful route.

There have been some suggestions on the forum about hostals/hotels in Seville. There are many. Since you are avoiding the Feria I'd actually be confident of just arriving and walking around to find one. But I usually book in advance. Any hostal in or around the Barrio Santa Cruz will put you where you want to be and within a short step of the cathedral. The Amigos office if over the river in Triana - another fascinating area. You will walk there on the route if you start at the Cathedral.

I've used both the Cicerone Guide by Alison Raju and the Cole book - I prefer Alison Raju's it is written much more for the pilgrim imho. Please make sure you also take the up dates from the CSJ web site http://www.csj.org.uk and also the great post by Dawn on Albergues - but there is also alertnative accommodation all the way too.

I found I had no need of maps other than those in the Guide book and even then I simply followed the arrows.

Buen Camino

John

I've just contacted the Hostal Sierpes, and their regular price (outside of SS and the Feria) is 38-40 for a single room. http://www.hsierpes.com/ Johnnie Walker has never led me astray with a recommendation, so this is where I will try to stay!

I did inquire about whether they had rooms for Semana Santa, and I could sort of hear the chuckle in their reply. So unless someone has great ideas for how to get a room in Sevilla during Semana Santa, I guess that's not a realistic possibility.

Not much more than a month now, anyone else starting out from Sevilla in April?

Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi
I hope to leave here (Ireland) on 22 or 23 of April I would like a day or two to look around Seville and hopefully to fall in with some people for the Camino. I would really like to have company to start with if anybody would have me?????
What is the Ferria? when is it? Is the May bank holiday likely to lead to crowding?

This will be my second Camino, I did the Frances last Aug 8th to 13 Sept. I never expected to plan to go again so soon!

Regards
John

I see the Feria in Seville this year runs from 28 April to 3 May. Have a look here:

http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain ... eabril.asp

The report that 1 million people show up for the party probably isn't a bed estimate. Seville is very busy at that time. Prices go up and accommodation is hard to find.

But from your dates if you are arriving in Seville on 23 or 24 and then leaving after a couple of days you will miss it.

You may or may not meet other pilgrims immediately although the route is getting busier - you will certainly catch up with whoever is around at albergues.

It is a fabulous route. Good luck.

John

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.