• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puebla de Sanabria - worth the cost?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere thus far. The cheapest place I’ve found is 50 euros for a single room. Curious what others have done. Is the town worth the high cost to stay there? Or should I walk through and stay at Requejo 12km down the line?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere thus far. The cheapest place I’ve found is 50 euros for a single room. Curious what others have done. Is the town worth the high cost to stay there? Or should I walk through and stay at Requejo 12km down the line?

37 € per person.

My personal experience was that Puebla de Sanabria was very touristy and not that much more interesting than many other villages down the road. I would say stop for lunch and keep walking, Jack.
From Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It seems like a nice stop for a good meal and some luxury
Personally i had lunch and continued walking

I personally loved Puebla de Sanabria, i’ve recently spent 4 nights there resting up with a chest infection (made use of their excellent medical/health centre). The town was lovely, the people friendly, i loved exploring the streets and the castle, good food at La Posada up by the castle and also before you reach the town, as you walk in on the camino, at Gran Casona. Yes the accommodation is perhaps a little expensive but many of the hotels and casa rurals are now charging €40 to €60 euros a night for a double or twin room - quite a lot more than when i walked the VdlP two years ago. I was more than happy to have an enforced rest here 😊

Thanks for your opinions everyone. It’s helpful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I personally loved Puebla de Sanabria, i’ve recently spent 4 nights there resting up with a chest infection (made use of their excellent medical/health centre). The town was lovely, the people friendly, i loved exploring the streets and the castle, good food at La Posada up by the castle and also before you reach the town, as you walk in on the camino, at Gran Casona. Yes the accommodation is perhaps a little expensive but many of the hotels and casa rurals are now charging €40 to €60 euros a night for a double or twin room - quite a lot more than when i walked the VdlP two years ago. I was more than happy to have an enforced rest here 😊
I hope you’re fully over your chest infection now dear peregrina and I’m really looking forward to seeing you and MrWildPlace in Santiago in a matter of days!
Abrazos y besos - 🥰🥰🌻🌻

I hope you’re fully over your chest infection now dear peregrina and I’m really looking forward to seeing you and MrWildPlace in Santiago in a matter of days!
Abrazos y besos - 🥰🥰🌻🌻

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Just Jack,
I walked the Camino de Sanabres Sept 2023. Besides Ourense (and, of course, Santiago), Sanabria was my favorite place, and favorite stop. I would have paid double to stay there a couple of nights. The other towns, as interesting and cool as most of them were, they were also pretty much the same. Sanabria is a quintessential, small, Medieval city. Try Hostal Tribal, a few nice rooms above the bar, right in the main part of town, think I paid less then 40 a night. Also, it has one of the only Taxis on the Sanabres (if you're not opposed to public transport and need to take advantage). Not sure where else you're going; my opinion is that (on the Sanabres) Puebla de Sanabria is a great place to stay. Make sure you eat in the artsy, pizza/burger place (La Mala Madre), I know...but it's GREAT, for breakfast too. Buen Camino! Have fun. Peace, Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20230911_134426.jpg
    IMG_20230911_134426.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230912_115237.jpg
    IMG_20230912_115237.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230912_161948.jpg
    IMG_20230912_161948.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230912_162521.jpg
    IMG_20230912_162521.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230913_110845.jpg
    IMG_20230913_110845.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 9
My own recollection is that while it was a relatively touristy place, it was a place that I liked. My recollection is staying in an albergue located outside of the castle, though with views up to the historic castle / town. Each will have their singular experience, though suggest finding a place to stay overnight.

Happy hunting and Buen Camino !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I liked the church, museum and old town. I had a great a hike up to the old town, and thought it was worth the effort. I had a good lunch at Meson Abelardo just below the old town. I continued on to Requejo, which is small and comparatively charmless. The Albergue Cervino is functional but depressing. I was there on the closing day for the nice restaurant next door (Mar Rojo), which added to the effect!

On the bright side, being there sets you up for your climb up and over the hills into Lubian the next day (350m elevation change and down again). It's a pretty walk, even if it rains a good part of the morning as it did for us. The bar in Padornelo has a wonderful selection of hams and sausages, which we admired as we dried out a little. Lubian has a small, handsome municipal albergue and a couple of good restaurants. We rested before the further big climb the next day over into Galicia.

Last month I stayed at Hostal La Trucha, 40 Euros, nice place. Hadn’t planned on stopping there but my phone quit working, it was a public holiday so I had to wait until the next day to get it fixed. I liked the town.

We stayed two nights in Pueblo de Sanabria a week ago at Hostel Carlos V for €68/per night for two. It was quite nice, and I enjoyed the small city, and found enough to do, and teally liked the castle and grounds. I liked that it was not overwhelming.

Last edited:

Hey Just Jack,
Make sure you eat in the artsy, pizza/burger place (La Mala Madre), I know...but it's GREAT, for breakfast too. Buen Camino! Have fun. Peace, Bob
When my daughter and I were there, she chose this place for lunch because of the name. Hm.
FTR, my favorite town on Camino Sanabres was Xunqueira de Ambia. I wrote a bit about it in another post.

I really like this stop. I stayed at Hotel los Perales and while it looks a bit of a shambles on the outside it is excellent inside and houses many collectables from the region and possibly beyond. A suit of armour greets you at the entry. It was November and cold but the heating came on in the early evening and I hand washed and dried every article of clothing I had - in stages. The town had an impressive history and all the information is in English as well as Spanish so. Actually knew what I was looking at.
I found it a perfect rest stop before the final leg of the Sanabres. I arrived early and had a great afternoon and evening.
PS Only take the river route out if it hadn’t been raining too much.

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpeg
    IMG_4377.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3

Most read last week in this forum

My first walking day will be on Tuesday, but because I am now still in the possession of my laptop I thought it would be handy to start this thread already. I landed on Asturias airport on...
Something I came across earlier today which sounded interesting. The Ourense local council and a public service organisation are running a project where local people can walk from Ourense to...
Usually reliable Rome2Rio website doesn't show a bus route which runs close to the Oseira monastery, but Google maps shows a bus icon there. Does anyone know whether there is or is not bus service...
In case it’s helpful for those who are looking to start their Sanabres walk from Granja de Moruela: Last week, when I reached Granja de Moruela while walking the via de la plata, I continued...
I completed the Sanabres Camino a week ago after having started in Rionegro del Puente. I am a forum member who enjoys the downhills as my knees have always been strong. The uphills wear me out...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back