• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi y'all, I'm from North Carolina, US, and plan on starting my Camino in Sept. 2014

Holly

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on doing my first Camino September, 2014 but only have 3 weeks Best birthday present to myself!
OK, this is my first post but I have to ask (again I'm sure) I 'll be flying into Madrid then taking the train to Leon (only have 2 1/2 weeks so thought this might be a good starting point), should arrive there on Saturday (I hope) are most businesses closed on Saturday and Sunday? I will need to do some banking and get my credentials. Any other suggestions? First time out of the country so all new to this! Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
OK, this is my first post but I have to ask (again I'm sure) I 'll be flying into Madrid then taking the train to Leon (only have 2 1/2 weeks so thought this might be a good starting point), should arrive there on Saturday (I hope) are most businesses closed on Saturday and Sunday? I will need to do some banking and get my credentials. Any other suggestions? First time out of the country so all new to this! Thank you

Knew I should have proofed, "Camino"

Banks and cell phone stores will close at about noon on Saturday, so it depends what you mean about doing banking. The ATM's will be operational, so you can get money with your ATM card. Be sure you have a four digit PIN. You can get a credential any day of the week.

Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Banks and cell phone stores will close at about noon on Saturday, so it depends what you mean about doing banking. The ATM's will be operational, so you can get money with your ATM card. Be sure you have a four digit PIN. You can get a credential any day of the week.

Buen camino.
Great, thanks

Think I might be cutting it short, hope to fly out of here (US) Friday night so I can be in Spain early Saturday, then try to find my way to the train station (don't know which one yet) so I can get to Leon. I'm so very excited but have a long wait until Sept. Thanks again

Welcome to the forum Holly. You have given yourself plenty of time to prepare so you will have lots of info by starting time.
Happy planing and Buen Camino.

You can take the bus from the T-4 terminal at the airport to Leon.

Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 León 13:45 18:50 5h 05min 24.95€

Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 León 14:45 19:15 4h 30min 41.46€

Last edited by a moderator:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
holly my suggestion is take two credit cards and make sure you let credit companies or banks know you will be out of the country and then test drive your cards on atms as soon as you get there. you are off to a great adventure. buen camino

Holly I suggest you bring a few hundred Euros with you and never carry more than a few hundred. A few hundred can get you well on your way far enough you will undoubtedly hit a ATM which are quite frequent. Also photocopy your credit cards and your passport and keep in a zip lock tucked away in case you need to replace them. All precautionary and there are some threads regarding security - by way of suggestions of your personal effects. I found them quite useful and had no issues at all. Buen Camino!

Mark
Thanks Mark, sounds good. Where is the best place to exchange Euros in the States (North Carolina)? Also which is the best credit card to take, Visa, Master Charge or another?

You can take the bus from the T-4 terminal at the airport to Leon.

Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 León 13:45 18:50 5h 05min 24.95€

Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 León 14:45 19:15 4h 30min 41.46€
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Purchasing currency in the U.S. is quite expensive in terms of transaction costs. You can minimize the cost by making an ATM your first visit. The ATM's in the airport charge more than anywhere else, but it still will cost less than a currency purchase in North Carolina. Avoid the money changers in airports. They are the most expensive alternative.

Use your debit card in the ATM's. You need a four digit PIN. Getting cash on a credit card will be expensive. Credit cards are not accepted in many places in Spain. It is a cash economy. Hotels generally accept credit cards, but albergues and most restaurants do not. Both Visa and MasterCard are accepted where credit cards are accepted, but American Express is shunned. Travelers cheques cannot be cashed even at banks, so they have fallen out of favor.

In Canada any bank will sell Euros so might check your bank.
Canada is SO cosmopolitan!;)

In the U.S. it took a special order and two weeks to get Euros from my bank the one time I did this. Do not underestimate the backward xenophobia that is America; foreign currencies are for gypsies and those usurers in the kiosk at the airport, not for REAL Americans. You can get beaver pelts and Euros in Canada, but not in the USA...:rolleyes:

Still, I do agree. It is handy to have a few Euro in one's wallet when arriving. I always save a few from my last trip so that I can get to the nearest non-airport ATM. Not everyone can do that.

I always get a good chuckle out of your comments Falcon
Alas, for many it is an acquired taste not worth acquiring...

Spanish beer is second only to Aquarius to wash away the dusty trail. I look forward to it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not to worry . Weekend is okay .bring a debit card with some $$ in it .draw out 300 euros at the Madrid Airport. ATM most common way to money On the Camino ,they are everywhere . You can stay at the " convent" in Leon .it's the largest Albergue in Leon .they can sell you a credianial there ( your passport) from the Nuns for a euro. Get the Brierly book as a trail guide.After Leon maybe two nights walk on to Marscherif(sic) instead of the highway walk, the Camino branches at " virgin of the Camino" to get to Astoria . You'll see it all in the Brierly guide. I have done this parts 6-8 times , know it well

Not to worry . Weekend is okay .bring a debit card with some $$ in it .draw out 300 euros at the Madrid Airport. ATM most common way to money On the Camino ,they are everywhere . You can stay at the " convent" in Leon .it's the largest Albergue in Leon .they can sell you a credianial there ( your passport) from the Nuns for a euro. Get the Brierly book as a trail guide.After Leon maybe two nights walk on to Marscherif(sic) instead of the highway walk, the Camino branches at " virgin of the Camino" to get to Astoria . You'll see it all in the Brierly guide. I have done this parts 6-8 times , know it well
Hi , I would say to you that the post you answered to is from 2013 .
Yust saying 🙏

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back