• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles.

Daveyp

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan and Frances Apr 2018
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know a convenient place to buy cheap hiking poles around Bayonne?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am landing in Bayonne on the 14th, taking a bus to San Sebastian and starting El Norte early on the 15th (Sunday), so I would hope to pick up the poles or a good stick in Bayonne. Thanks.

If you are headed to Saint Jean Pied de Port, you can obtain some there. There are several shops that cater to pilgrims.

Failing that, there is a Decathlon sports super store in nearby Anglet, at 21 Rue des Barthes, 64600 Anglet, France. That would be the optimum choice for you. However, it is a few km from the train station. You would be best advised to take a bus or a taxi there. The local 'A1 & A2" bus route services the Decathlon from the train station. The ride is about 20 minutes, on a local bus. Sort yourself out on the return...

For brevity, here is the Google maps search string:

http://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gare...b8cb1!2m2!1d-1.5050572!2d43.4849094!3e3?hl=en

Cut and paste the above gibberish into your browser address line and hit enter...it should work...;)

Alternatively and for other possibilities, at Bayonne, try using Google Maps to find the train station. Then, using the 'Nearby' button, search for 'outdoor sports stores' or 'hiking and camping stores,' etc.

Hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks a million Tom.
My new plan is to start walking from Bayonne airport. I will pick up a stick or poles whenever they appear.
I a wondering now if there is a nice route from Bayonne to Irun

I have both a staff in St. Jean three times. Can you buying hiking poles in Santiago? or Ponferrada? I am finishing my third Camino and will be flying to Santiago and then bussing it to Ponferrada to walk to Santiago and Finestere.

There are Decathlon stores in both Santiago and Ponferrada where you can buy poles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you go to or stay at Pension Blanco, there is a bin of discarded trekking poles, some quite nice:

Rúa das Galeras, 30, 15705 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

If you go to or stay at Pension Blanco, there is a bin of discarded trekking poles, some quite nice:

Rúa das Galeras, 30, 15705 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña, Spain

I was going to say the same ting, lots poles are left generally in Santiago as many people cannot fly with them, I have picked a couple up, just ask at the desk of some of the alburgues or hotels or the Pilgrim office, they had a few as a friend left her's there once and we went back for it the next day. Options.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back