• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hip problem

soozansings

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2nd (2016)
Six weeks into training, 8 lb pack, and worked up to comfortable with 8 miles. 3 days ago my hip started hurting in the socket at about 2 miles. I stop and stretch when I can't stand it, then move on. I can only go about another quarter mile until I have to stop and stretch again. This goes on until I just have to stop at about 4 miles. I'm 56. We are retired military and have to use our local Base for medical and it usually takes at least a month for an appointment. Any suggestions from you pros?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You better see a doc. The problem is you will be bussing if you end up with an injury. Not that it is terrible but you can wind up on the surgical table if you blow a hip. One thing I found interesting but sad was how many folks had to stop due to injury. The repetitive movement with weight exposes our bodies weakness.
If you are planning this with another person & one of you falls out then, most stop, seek medical help & then bus while the other continues. Meeting up with that person at the end of the day. It is not the end of the experience, it is just different. If you find 8 miles is all you do then accept it. Go as far as you can or bus ahead to Sariha & go slow as your partner catches up.
Many ways to skin this critter.
Buen Camino

Six weeks into training, 8 lb pack, and worked up to comfortable with 8 miles. 3 days ago my hip started hurting in the socket at about 2 miles. I stop and stretch when I can't stand it, then move on. I can only go about another quarter mile until I have to stop and stretch again. This goes on until I just have to stop at about 4 miles. I'm 56. We are retired military and have to use our local Base for medical and it usually takes at least a month for an appointment. Any suggestions from you pros?
Soozan,
Although seeing the doc is smart the most likely culprit is inflamation. It's very common, happened to my wife while on the Camino. First line of defense to prevent it is lots of fluids, stretching and listening to your body. When it says stop, you stop. Now that you have it, taking an anti inflamatory such as ibupropen or motrin can help. Look up the dosage and take it for the full recommended time (usually 10 days) and take it easy for a while. once you get past a certain point it is hard to get rid of. My wife ended up taking prednison to cure it but its a powerful steroid that can have ill effects. She's a military doc (retired) and should have known better.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Camino, been there three times and looking forward to going back.
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Soozan,
Like you, I am a veteran and use the VAMC so I understand about how the VA thing works (or doesn't, as the case may be)
Unlike civilian facilities, the ER at the VA is not just for emergencies, but for urgent care, or acute (meaning, it just happened) care.
So, trot on over now to the VAMC ER, and have them get pictures of the hip.
I know it would be a bummer to postpone your trip now, but it would be an expensive tragedy to get over there and have your hip go on the 2nd day and have to fly home on Day 3.
Hopefully it's nothing more than inflammation and you can stay on top of it with NSAIDs, but I don't think I'd want to chance it.

Best of luck, camino amigo,
Jennifer

Hi Soozan,
Like you, I am a veteran and use the VAMC so I understand about how the VA thing works (or doesn't, as the case may be)
Unlike civilian facilities, the ER at the VA is not just for emergencies, but for urgent care, or acute (meaning, it just happened) care.
I know it would be a bummer to postpone your trip now, but it would be an expensive tragedy to get over there and have your hip go on the 2nd day and have to fly home on Day 3.
Hopefully it's nothing more than inflammation and you can stay on top of it with NSAIDs, but I don't think I'd want to chance it.

Jennifer
BTW Soozan, I also checked last month with my VA about VA med coverage while I'm on my Camino, and the sad news is, unless you have an SRD (service related disability) the VA will NOT cover or reimburse medical expenses incurred on the Camino, so do make sure you have decent medical insurance for your trip...
Buena suerte,
J.

You better see a doc. The problem is you will be bussing if you end up with an injury. Not that it is terrible but you can wind up on the surgical table if you blow a hip. One thing I found interesting but sad was how many folks had to stop due to injury. The repetitive movement with weight exposes our bodies weakness.
If you are planning this with another person & one of you falls out then, most stop, seek medical help & then bus while the other continues. Meeting up with that person at the end of the day. It is not the end of the experience, it is just different. If you find 8 miles is all you do then accept it. Go as far as you can or bus ahead to Sariha & go slow as your partner catches up.
Many ways to skin this critter.
Buen Camino
And you are right. Doing this by myself and I'm not ready to blow out a hip. Thank you for posting on this!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Soozan,

Jennifer
Even worse. Jennifer, is I'm the wife of a retired Navy Vet. And you know how that goes. I finished all my dental today (civilian) and God willing, will get in to see my PA before I leave on May 29th. If nothing else, I'll take a bus. Sigh. It is what it is. Thank you for checking in with me and thank you for your service!

BTW Soozan, I also checked last month with my VA about VA med coverage while I'm on my Camino, and the sad news is, unless you have an SRD (service related disability) the VA will NOT cover or reimburse medical expenses incurred on the Camino, so do make sure you have decent medical insurance for your trip...
Buena suerte,
J.
And I did purchase travel medical after checking with Tricare. ;)

And, by the way, I love you folks. Gratefully, Susan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Advice I was given many years ago might help:-
Don't walk faster than your own comfortable speed (ie to keep up with others) it can stress your hips.
Bending knees slightly going downhill lessens stress and impact on the hips, even if it looks a bit odd
Least weight possible carried (but your pack is already very light so that is probably fixed).
Check whether toes are turning in or out when walking and practise keeping them 'straight ahead' - least strain on hips.

I have done OK so far but do notice if I walk too fast.
I tried turning my toes 'out' and could feel that everything pulls differently. Interesting!

And I did purchase travel medical after checking with Tricare. ;)
Soozan so sorry you' re going through this. What I found helpful for several 'sore' spots was Arnica, which is similar to Voltaren (Ibuprofen in gel form) but with more natural ingredients. But if you do end up at a medical clinic, be aware that you will likely be billed and it can take up to a couple of months for you to see the bill. I had to visit a clinic twice for a case of acute bronchitis. They just took a copy of my Canadian healthcare card and my medical insurance reference #. Before I left home, I was told over and over from a doctor who specializes in sports medicine that water intake is crucial when on a 800 km walk - further explaining that when the body is in dire need of liquid, it will go to the first available source in the body which are the joints, thus often resulting in inflammation. Wish you good health to continue on. Buen Camino.

Don't walk faster than your own comfortable speed (ie to keep up with others) it can stress your hips.
Bending knees slightly going downhill lessens stress and impact on the hips, even if it looks a bit odd
Least weight possible carried (but your pack is already very light so that is probably fixed).
Check whether toes are turning in or out when walking and practise keeping them 'straight ahead' - least strain on hips.

I tried turning my toes 'out' and could feel that everything pulls differently. Interesting!
Tia I think that might be my problem too. It seems my right foot rotates out before hitting the ground. Who'd have thought I wasn't walking right after all these years :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had it last year on/off in the beginning. Same with my knees.....Both are now gone (hope it stays that way) . I do stretch more then last year and walk indeed slower....my pace. It just works best that way for me. Good luck ! :)

Tia...I changed out my New Balance trail shoes (bought to save on weight] and put back on my Columbia low ankle hikers. I've gone 3 gentle miles so far with no pain. I believe the weight of the shoe might keep my foot from turning out. Keeping my fingers crossed because I'm now 3 miles from home:rolleyes:

Find a really good massage therapist. I use one and an acupuncturist too. It may not be a medical problem per se but has to do with muscles tightening due to the pack or your gait with a pack on. It's a good source to try before you go medical. You are working out different and a massage therapist knows which muscles are tight just by feeling them.
I'm planning on finding some massage therapy while on the walk in 2 WEEKS!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Find a really good massage therapist. I use one and an acupuncturist too. It may not be a medical problem per se but has to do with muscles tightening due to the pack or your gait with a pack on. It's a good source to try before you go medical. You are working out different and a massage therapist knows which muscles are tight just by feeling them.
I'm planning on finding some massage therapy while on the walk in 2 WEEKS!
I think a massage sounds wonderful and I wish you Buen Camino!

Hi there. I, too, have back and hip problems but if I use my hiking poles I usually have no issue. They help take the strain off your lower body as you arms can help with the load. Also when you stretch, stretch your quads. Tight quads have caused me a lot of grief. A good massage therapist is critical as well. Good luck!

Hi. I too had worked up to 8 and 9 miles for almost two months, then mine hurt at 3 miles and I would have to stop and stretch every mile then after. I already have a hip diagnosis, hip impingement, but I guess all the walking was really irritating it. I just got cortisone injections this week in both. Only been on one 6 mile walk so far, but no problems! Going on another today. Maybe look into this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will. And thank you, thank you all. I love the folks on this forum who truly care enough to offer sage advice. Blessings.

Tia...I changed out my New Balance trail shoes (bought to save on weight] and put back on my Columbia low ankle hikers. I've gone 3 gentle miles so far with no pain. I believe the weight of the shoe might keep my foot from turning out. Keeping my fingers crossed because I'm now 3 miles from home:rolleyes:
Yeah, why is that, that something starts to hurt at the far end of a planned 10 mile loop walk??o_O I am happy to announce that my smashed toe is healing very rapidly. I may still lose my toenail, but I probably would have lost one on the trail anyway!:D

Yeah, why is that, that something starts to hurt at the far end of a planned 10 mile loop walk??o_O I am happy to announce that my smashed toe is healing very rapidly. I may still lose my toenail, but I probably would have lost one on the trail anyway!:D
I'm glad you're better, Joodle. Wishing you Buen Camino, mi camiga. Blessings.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also have hip problems and have experienced the pain you've described. If you can get your hands on a post hip replacement exercise pamphlet there are great hip flexion exercises to follow. You can also look them up online. They're relatively simple and undemanding. When you are in Spain, there's a great OTC medication called Volteran or 'diclofenico' - it costs less than €5 for 30 tablets and one or two per day is usually enough.

Didn't think about the post replacemenrt exercises but great idea. I also do have Voltaren cream that I'll probably bring. Thank you!

Soozan, you may want to try hiking without your loaded pack to see if that makes a difference. If it does, I would consider having your pack transported each day to maximize the number of miles/kilometers you can walk. If you decide to see a private doctor, I suggest you try to find a sports doctor who has experience with athletes (because you are an athlete!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While all the advice about taking right kind of pills and doing right kind of exercise might be exactly what is necessary, I would advise to make x-ray of both hips: if it is not just an inflammation but you do need a replacement, it would be stupid to discover it in the middle of Camino. If you need it - get it! The popular myth is that replacements last about 5-10 max 15 years and therefore its wise to suffer and wait as long as possible with getting them to avoid changing them several times during a lifetime. Actually there are several kinds of replacements and the best have a guarantee of 30 years and with luck they may last 60 years. Your 56+60 is optimistic enough. I have such and its better than my own original was. A year and a half after the surgery I walked the 800km from SJPdP to SdC and to Finisterre and Muxia. Always took upper bunks (because I like the fresh air). Count the trainings too. I'm allowed practically everything I want - dog walks, cycling, horseriding, slacklining, etc, all except yoga.

I was able to purchase a travel insurance policy which covers pre-existing conditions. Let me know if anyone needs a reference. It required I have a US policy but it would cover me if I have to see a doctor, hospitalized or evacuated.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.