• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Managing hip pain on Camino

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
When I started to get hip pain after walking a couple of years ago, after x rays, my doctor concluded "wear and tear commensurate with age - carry on walking". My hips grumbled a bit on Camino last year, nothing overnight rest didn't put right, and do sometimes on regular walks at home.
I'm planning to start a Camino Ingles from A Coruña in ten days time, walking short stages and carrying 4-5 kilos, with walking poles.
I was horrified yesterday to find that I needed to take Ibuprofen, walking consecutive days (11k and 20k) on a UK "pre-stage" for this Camino.
Can others who have similar issues offer any advice. Would it help to adjust my pack to put more weight on my shoulders? I've discounted the option of pack transport as all but about a kilo is stuff I need to carry anyway - water, rainwear and a dry layer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I started to get hip pain after walking a couple of years ago, after x rays, my doctor concluded "wear and tear commensurate with age - carry on walking". My hips grumbled a bit on Camino last year, nothing overnight rest didn't put right, and do sometimes on regular walks at home.
I'm planning to start a Camino Ingles from A Coruña in ten days time, walking short stages and carrying 4-5 kilos, with walking poles.
I was horrified yesterday to find that I needed to take Ibuprofen, walking consecutive days (11k and 20k) on a UK "pre-stage" for this Camino.
Can others who have similar issues offer any advice. Would it help to adjust my pack to put more weight on my shoulders? I've discounted the option of pack transport as all but about a kilo is stuff I need to carry anyway - water, rainwear and a dry layer.

First of all , all the best with managing your pain but I strongly advise you to visit your GP or a physiotherapist for correct medical information.
Yes, it could be your hip but it could also be a secondary issue resulting in pain in your hip.

What I do know is that taking Ibuprofen ( even if it is freely available in pharmacies ) is not good for a person in the long run.
Pain means that your body tries to tell you something and masking it is contraproductive and harmful.

Regarding adjusting your pack so weight is in your shoulders is IMO not a good idea. The heaviest part of your pack should rest on your hips.

Buen Camino.

Hi Barbara
I have been really helped by using Alexander Technique principles, whether with or without a pack, because my tendency/ my habit is to tense up around my hip which of course affects the normal balance of my gait and exacerbates the problems. I watched my husband walking with his pack last year and saw him scrunch over, bending forwards with his head jutted out/ neck stiffened, as if that would help (it helped him feel in control I think). My practice step by step by step is all about thinking into length: 'long spine'/ 'long neck', easy balance of my head, not tensing my neck, letting the pack weigh down onto my shoulders which themselves drop down into my back, letting go of the tension in my pelvic area and down through my legs .. all this engenders greater experience of lightness and ease, with more to breathe ... it really helps! Happy to chat about this more if you like.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a similar condition which comes and goes. I really like the You Tube videos by Will Harlow called Thriving beyond Fifty. He is a physiotherapist who covers all sorts of ailments for people as they age. I have found his exercises to be very helpful. He even has a video on how to correctly use walking poles!

I have a similar condition which comes and goes. I really like the You Tube videos by Will Harlow called Thriving beyond Fifty. He is a physiotherapist who covers all sorts of ailments for people as they age. I have found his exercises to be very helpful. He even has a video on how to correctly use walking poles!
Thankyou for the tip. I had a look at some Will Harlow videos, very useful tips :)

Just in case buy cocodamol in UK (8/500 is the strongest you can buy without prescription generally) check it works for you and keep as a back up. Use it with Ibuprofen as a combination if the pain really strikes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First of all , all the best with managing your pain but I strongly advise you to visit your GP or a physiotherapist for correct medical information.
Yes, it could be your hip but it could also be a secondary issue resulting in pain in your hip.
The advice about the videos is good. But ALWAYS see a physician as @SabP said. NSAIDS should not be taken long term without the advice of a physician. There could be issues it can exacerbate or cause like internal bleeding in the GI tract. (Ulcers can be a silent killer). Let your physician decide and then see a PT to offer you the best kind of exercises for you to do.

I want to echo the advice of @SabsP and @lt56ny
I know I sound from time to time like a cracked record here. |
I am a physician.
While this forum (which I love) is good for sharing experiences and getting encouragement from other people it is really NOT a forum for getting sound medical advice.
I am 70 and I have not yet ever given medical advice to someone I have not spoken to individually and examined. What is the point of training?
I would NEVER take advice on medication from someone who could not tell me off the top of their head the side effects of the medication concerned and also the way it might interact with other medications or with other morbidities. That is basic.
I never treat myself. I seek advice from a professional. In Spain I have had excellent advice, diagnosis and treatment from the farmacia, from medical clinic and from a chiropodist.
I wouldn't tell you how to fix your car or how to fix your central heating.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As someone who has had a hip replacement I can sympathise with you. I had to take ibuprofen, usually I took it for a few days to ease the pain then went off it for a little time. I found as my hip got worse the time between taking ibuprofen got shorter. A hip replacement is life changing. Talk to you doctor about a Birmingham hip resurfacing, l had one over 20 years ago. Still going strong. Good luck

Thank you for some helpful and sympathetic responses. To make it clear that I am not using this forum as a replacement for medical help but I am trying to "self manage" a condition, as my GP practice encourages its patients to do. I know that I am nowhere near the current criteria for a NHS hip replacement.

My recent walk was further that I will need to walk on Camino, and probably faster and with fewer stops, as we were trying to get to a particular church before it closed. That's what I'm hoping made the difference from other recent walks.

I have walked three longer pilgrimages and a couple of shorter ones with varying degrees of oesto-arthritis in my hips and knees. I used a pain management regime developed with my GP. This included a modified release formulation of one medication no longer available in the EU and UK, otherwise all the other elements were available in pharmacies in Portugal and Spain. Having a regime that doesn't conflict with any of the other medications you have been prescribed was quite important, and your GP or a pharmacist are best placed to ensure that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for some helpful and sympathetic responses. To make it clear that I am not using this forum as a replacement for medical help but I am trying to "self manage" a condition, as my GP practice encourages its patients to do. I know that I am nowhere near the current criteria for a NHS hip replacement.
Personally, I would get the hip replaced asap. I walked the Norte with a bad hip and by taking a lot of pain killers! Had my hip replaced 2 weeks after I got back. Recovery was quick (in part I expect because I was camino fit) and I played golf about 8 weeks after the op and now walk and run as much as I ever have.

trying to "self manage" a condition, as my GP practice encourages its patients to do. I know that I am nowhere near the current criteria for a NHS hip replacement.
My situation sounds very similar including a diagnosis from a Consultant. I'm advised to self manage.
you state that you went faster than normal and further. My motto now is to go at my pace, I know well what it is. I've been on a few fastie group walks recently and Boy did I suffer afterwards. I can keep up no problem and love the chat but can't manage the pain afterwards without my "prescribed" slow release anti-inflams plus paracetamol.
I've also invested in High cushioned sole Trail runners instead of Trail walking shoes, it feels like walking on air compared to my previous footwear. Stretching is also important (I'm very bad at that!)
I go to walk for 21 days soon on the San Salvador and Primitivo and intend to start off short stages and at my pace. My buddy can walk on if she needs to.

I have met pilgrims who take Ibuprofin every day. I wouldn't, but....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I won't give you advice re medication but one thing that helps, or conversely doesn't if you get it wrong, is when going down steep descents then gently place your foot rather than "bang it down"!

My recent walk was further that I will need to walk on Camino, and probably faster and with fewer stops, as we were trying to get to a particular church before it closed. That's what I'm hoping made the difference from other recent walks.
I walked with early osteoarthritis in my left hip in 2022. My bag worsened the problem. It was too big and I was carrying about 8 kg. I took NSAID’s for a few days but realised I needed to send my bag through. Pain stopped. Next time I am carrying a much lighter bag 4-5 kg that ties around the waist. Hoping that is easier and negates the need for bag transport.

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.