• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola... where to begin? Planning for Sept 2015

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Hello all, I am planning my journey for September 2015 as a celebration to my 50th birthday, I say September because from what I have read this is the best time of the year to go, am I wrong? I have recently given up my corporate job to start my own company, so that I travel and see the world. To bad I can bring my dog lol Any suggestion are greatly appreciated; Which route for 10-15 days? How to begin to prepare?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. So right now its happy 49th birthday to you.

I would guess that about 95 percent of the people walking on the Camino and doing it for the first time. So don't worry about that. Then after a few days, everything clicks into to place and the awkwardness goes away.

Many of your questions have been addressed by previous threads. You might check out the search engine in the top right corner of the page and see what they have to say. Please pay particular attention to the threads regarding the foot care and try to prepare for that.

You made a comment about your dog with a LOL. Just in case you are serious about bringing one, your should know that many of the places you might want to stay will not accept dogs. Plus dogs can have problems with their feet too. I would think twice about doing that.

Regarding where to start? Where are you coming from? I am from the USA so it was easy for me to fly to Madrid. From there I took a bus right from the airport to Burgos. Next year I am flying to Madrid and taking the bus to Pamplona. Then I can start in Pamplona or even take a Taxi back to SJPDP to sstart. Lots or other peregrinos fly to Paris and take the train to start in SJPDP. So there are many options and those are just two.

I hope this helps you. Buen Camino !

Hello all, I am planning my journey for September 2015 as a celebration to my 50th birthday, I say September because from what I have read this is the best time of the year to go, am I wrong? I have recently given up my corporate job to start my own company, so that I travel and see the world. To bad I can bring my dog lol Any suggestion are greatly appreciated; Which route for 10-15 days? How to begin to prepare?
Hello from Australia. I am planning Sept 2015 as well... I am not very sure where to start but I know i have enough time to plan and train. Looking forward to getting some good suggestions/guidance :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Sandrita!

I would start somewhere between Leon and O Cebreiro on the Camino Frances, depending on exactly how many days you end up having. Astorga (which is between the two) may also be a good option. If you get John Brierley's guide book that helps with suggested stages to walk each day, although it's best to vary a bit from these stages as it's easier to find a bed.

September is indeed a good time to walk. So is May. :) There are two main reasons why time of year matters - the weather, and how busy it is. The weather should be cooler than July and August, but still good. It will also be less crowded than August from Leon onwards, but still a lot of other pilgrims around.

Buen Camino!

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. So right now its happy 49th birthday to you.

I would guess that about 95 percent of the people walking on the Camino and doing it for the first time. So don't worry about that. Then after a few days, everything clicks into to place and the awkwardness goes away.

Many of your questions have been addressed by previous threads. You might check out the search engine in the top right corner of the page and see what they have to say. Please pay particular attention to the threads regarding the foot care and try to prepare for that.

You made a comment about your dog with a LOL. Just in case you are serious about bringing one, your should know that many of the places you might want to stay will not accept dogs. Plus dogs can have problems with their feet too. I would think twice about doing that.

Regarding where to start? Where are you coming from? I am from the USA so it was easy for me to fly to Madrid. From there I took a bus right from the airport to Burgos. Next year I am flying to Madrid and taking the bus to Pamplona. Then I can start in Pamplona or even take a Taxi back to SJPDP to sstart. Lots or other peregrinos fly to Paris and take the train to start in SJPDP. So there are many options and those are just two.

I hope this helps you. Buen Camino !

Hello Dennis,

I am from USA also, Florida. The dog was not a serious comment just a silly wish, he is a spoiled american pooch.

I found the threads and will begin to research those thank you

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting in Leon is about a 14-day walk. Starting in Astorga is about a 12-day walk. There is good bus service from the Madrid Airport T-4 to both places. You might save time and money by flying into Madrid (Leon has almost no flights each day!) and out of Santiago. Virtually all international flights will connect you to Iberia Airlines flights within Spain. Buen camino!

To plan a daily schedule: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Starting in Leon is about a 14-day walk. Starting in Astorga is about a 12-day walk. There is good bus service from the Madrid Airport T-4 to both places. You might save time and money by flying into Madrid (Leon has almost no flights each day!) and out of Santiago. Virtually all international flights will connect you to Iberia Airlines flights within Spain. Buen camino!

To plan a daily schedule: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances
Thank you Falcon269, I am most appreciative of all the info this route planner looks fantastic
Buen Camino!

I am from USA also, Florida. The dog was not a serious comment just a silly wish, he is a spoiled american pooch.

Hello - That is good news to hear. I have a lot of compassion for the few number the dogs that I have seen on the Camino. Often their owners are carrying them because they are worn out and/are injured in some way. There are lots of success stories too, I guess. There is a wonderful and humorous book about a man that took a donkey on the Camino. You have a year to prepare, you might want to check it out just for fun. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which route for 10-15 days? How to begin to prepare?
If your goal is to complete a whole route and get to Santiago then the shorter routes; Ingles, Portugues, Sanabres, and Primitivo would do. If you just want the experience of the Camino, I think the Camino Frances in September is glorious because it in the midst of harvest season and festivals for at least two wonderful wine regions; Rioja and El Bierzo. I personally would start at SJPDP and walked as far as you can with the knowledge that the Camino isn't going anywhere and you have to be back to get to Santiago. :) If you MUST get to Santiago on your first try, then start at Leon. Have fun planning!

Buen Camino.

If your goal is to complete a whole route and get to Santiago then the shorter routes; Ingles, Portugues, Sanabres, and Primitivo would do. If you just want the experience of the Camino, I think the Camino Frances in September is glorious because it in the midst of harvest season and festivals for at least two wonderful wine regions; Rioja and El Bierzo. I personally would start at SJPDP and walked as far as you can with the knowledge that the Camino isn't going anywhere and you have to be back to get to Santiago. :) If you MUST get to Santiago on your first try, then start at Leon. Have fun planning!

Buen Camino.
That sounds glorious... you know i want it all on my first trip lol but i belive i will have no more than 20 days. But i am sure that i will be returning time and time again. Thank you for the information Olivares!

How to prepare? Find a good pair of walking shoes and break them in.

As for planning ... how much time you have, when will you go, where you want to start and finish, how are you going to get there and back, what will you need to bring with you (this causes a lot of angst because of weight vs want of creature comforts). These are all decisions that need to be made in a logical order because some decisions depend on others. Probably the most costly and time consuming are about sorting through transportation options.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably the most costly and time consuming are about sorting through transportation options.
ww is right-- the desicion of starting point and destination is crucial to settle the sooner the better if you have transatlantic flights to worry about. As my personal Rule of Thumb for flights if starting east of Pamplona (i.e. SJPDP) get to Barcelona; west of Pamplona get to Madrid; west of Sarria get to Santiago. Not sure why many people fly into Paris to get to SJPDP, the logistics from Barcelona are way easier.

Hello - That is good news to hear. I have a lot of compassion for the few number the dogs that I have seen on the Camino. Often their owners are carrying them because they are worn out and/are injured in some way. There are lots of success stories too, I guess. There is a wonderful and humorous book about a man that took a donkey on the Camino. You have a year to prepare, you might want to check it out just for fun. Buen Camino!

In March this year I crossed paths with some people walking with a donkey. Somewhere around the Cruz de Ferro area. Someone thought they had been on the road for around eight months at that stage. Someone else (met before O'Cebreiro and again at Alto de Pollo) was walking with their dog. It was a beautiful dog, but suffering apparently because of some trouble getting dog food. She was totally devoted to her owner and I felt so sorry for her. Dogs are a lesson for us in unconditional love.

At Roncesvalles, around 1 March, someone told me of a young lass about to head off from St JpdeP with her dog, apparently carrying dog food with her, and I think from memory, camping gear. The person telling me was a bit concerned, because the lass weighed in at around 45kg and was proposing to carry a 20kg pack.

There must be thousands of untold stories.

My number one piece of advice (daylight second) to anyone setting out is learn some Spanish.

De Colores

Bogong

Hello from Australia. I am planning Sept 2015 as well... I am not very sure where to start but I know i have enough time to plan and train. Looking forward to getting some good suggestions/guidance :)
Hi Kiran, I have just put my first post up today, so this is all new to me. I am from Brisbane Australia and also planning to walk the Camino in Sept. 2015. I am loving all the planning and reading through all the great info on this site. I am thinking of flying to Barcelona, have a look around there then off to my starting point which I haven't decided upon yet. I am aiming to walk for 4 weeks. Good luck with your plans, it should be a great experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kiran, I have just put my first post up today, so this is all new to me. I am from Brisbane Australia and also planning to walk the Camino in Sept. 2015. I am loving all the planning and reading through all the great info on this site. I am thinking of flying to Barcelona, have a look around there then off to my starting point which I haven't decided upon yet. I am aiming to walk for 4 weeks. Good luck with your plans, it should be a great experience.
Hello Rose,
I am from Mackay, Queensland. It would be nice to compare training notes with someone as local as Brisbane :) I want to start from SJPDP and then go further. I am very syre it will be a wonderful experience

Kiran

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.