• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Homage to - The Castigation of the Clergy

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Post moved by Moderator to this new thread and edited.

Hmnn....Gerard's story in The Castigation of the Clergy got me thinking. I have self-published a few books and I have already have the structure set up to publish books, basically using Amazon's Create Space program for printed books and of course Kindle for ebook versions. I wonder if I should edit and publish a book of "Amazing Stories from the Camino de Santiago (or hopefully some other more original title)" with contributions from folks who would like to submit stories.

Both the printed version and the ebook version would be sold in any market where Amazon is present, which is pretty extensive these days. As a semi-retired person in my late sixties, I don't want the administrative work of accounting for, and distributing royalties to, lots of people. But here is what I'm thinking: I would contribute 50% of all receipts (less actual out of pocket expenses) to Ivar. If for any reason this forum ceased to exist, we would have to provide for an alternative to receive the distributions.

The only expenses I can think of would be some set up fees for the Amazon printed book program, which might include a simple cover design (I could use one of my photos to save on costs) and the cost to layout the interior of the book. I would not spend money on marketing but would let the book thrive or die on word of mouth. I would also provide transparent accounting to anyone who wanted it.

As for my Camino experience, I walked my first Camino Frances in 2013 (at age 65) and have walked a portion of the CF each year since, and hope to walk a Camino every year until I reach 80 years old.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just realized I should have started a new thread on this, but I love the Castigation of the Clergy title!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Post moved by Moderator to this new thread and edited.

Hmnn....Gerard's story in The Castigation of the Clergy got me thinking. I have self-published a few books and I have already have the structure set up to publish books, basically using Amazon's Create Space program for printed books and of course Kindle for ebook versions. I wonder if I should edit and publish a book of "Amazing Stories from the Camino de Santiago (or hopefully some other more original title)" with contributions from folks who would like to submit stories.

Both the printed version and the ebook version would be sold in any market where Amazon is present, which is pretty extensive these days. As a semi-retired person in my late sixties, I don't want the administrative work of accounting for, and distributing royalties to, lots of people. But here is what I'm thinking: I would contribute 50% of all receipts (less actual out of pocket expenses) to Ivar. If for any reason this forum ceased to exist, we would have to provide for an alternative to receive the distributions.

The only expenses I can think of would be some set up fees for the Amazon printed book program, which might include a simple cover design (I could use one of my photos to save on costs) and the cost to layout the interior of the book. I would not spend money on marketing but would let the book thrive or die on word of mouth. I would also provide transparent accounting to anyone who wanted it.

As for my Camino experience, I walked my first Camino Frances in 2013 (at age 65) and have walked a portion of the CF each year since, and hope to walk a Camino every year until I reach 80 years old.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
If it is your book shouldn't you be the one to write it?

If it is your book shouldn't you be the one to write it?
I tend to agree; I hear and see more and more where writers wanting to write about the Camino and are soliciting stories from others. A few people in my area have been approached. I'm sure no harm done, but for me I would much rather read of a personal experience written by the pilgrim. Either way, good luck with your endeavour.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first thing that came to my mind is what you would do if you receive a submission that is NOT good enough to publish in an anthology? Authors can be terribly thin-skinned and telling them 'thanks, but no' might not be an easy thing to do. I would really encourage you to think about this and other possible scenarios before taking things further. Buen Camino, SY

This would not be "my book." I have no desire to write a book about the Camino, although I may post other blogs in the future. I was thinking more of publishing a "Chicken Soup for the Camino Soul" type of book, especially as I already have the infrastructure as a publisher to publish books. I just thought there are a lot of amazing, heartwarming, and hilarious stories about the Camino that, if assembled in one book, might be inspirational to others. And I liked the idea of supporting Ivar's hard work on this forum. By the way, as a publisher, giving a 50% royalty (in this case to Ivar) is much more (by leaps and bounds) than any author would receive from any publisher.

But I think Sy's point is a good one. There could be hard feelings if people submitted stories and I, as editor and publisher, decided not to include them, either because they were not that good or because I had more stories than I could use. And others may think that, as a publisher, my keeping 50% of the net receipts, would not be fair or appropriate. So, you know what -- life is very short, and I have no need or desire to ruffle anyone's feathers, so I think I will file this idea in the area of my brain that holds lots of creative ideas, few of which materialize.

Thank you for your input.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back