• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Honeymoon on the Camino

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Well it's about that time in life when one says "I do". My fiancee and I are tying the knot in 4 weeks and will be having our honeymoon on the Camino; walking the last part of the Frances (from Astorga to SdC) over Easter and then on to Finisterra and Muxia. I'm not sure that it's going to be all that "romantic", but it's sure as hell going to be something that we'll never forget!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Herman, congratulations!
I met a couple who were walking the Via de la Plata for their honeymoon - it was exactly what they wanted to do together. 'Romantic' takes so many different forms and the camino is one that this forum will likely understand better than the 'in-laws'! Best wishes, tom

Thanks Tom, we have already walked the Frances from SJpdP together so I guess it's quite fitting to finalise it this way. People say that it can go either way for couples on the Camino; either it strengthens the relationship immensely or tears it apart. I'm happy to say that for us it was positive, although there were some trying moments!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is one of those posts on the forum where I keep searching for the 'like'-button, like in facebook. Sadly, there isn't one. So: LIKE!!! (y)

Clicking the like-button isn't good enough here. LIKE!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations, Herman!! My wife and I decided to do the Camino for our 25th wedding anniversary. Due to work issues, etc., we ended up celebrating our 26th anniversary on our Camino. A great time to "re-connect". Not sure if we can wait for our 30th to go back!!

Congratulations, Herman!! My wife and I decided to do the Camino for our 25th wedding anniversary. Due to work issues, etc., we ended up celebrating our 26th anniversary on our Camino. A great time to "re-connect". Not sure if we can wait for our 30th to go back!!

That's pretty cool ManyMiles. Glad to hear that you re-connected. There's no reason to wait for another anniversary though before getting out on the Camino again. We're already planning our next Camino together before this one is even finished!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have done the Francés, why not rry the Primitivo instead? I think you will have a lot more space and fun, not so many crowds, amazing landscapes and food is WAY better... give it a thought, maybe... and, of course, Congratulations!!!

Well it's about that time in life when one says "I do". My fiancee and I are tying the knot in 6 weeks and will be having our honeymoon on the Camino; walking the last part of the Frances (from Astorga to SdC) over Easter and then on to Finisterra and Muxia. I'm not sure that it's going to be all that "romantic", but it's sure as hell going to be something that we'll never forget!

Congratulations, Herman! Wishing you a long and happy married life. I think this is a terrific idea, because it makes it much more likely that you will be able to share the joys of the Camino together over many many years. I didn't start walking Caminos till aged 50, and at that point my husband was not terribly interested. I dragged him through part of the Portugues and then one year we did the Ingles, but he then called it quits and said it would have to be "my thing" and not "our thing." Starting off together on the Camino, wow, that's wonderful. Laurie

Thanks for the tip Amanico. Decisions, decisions :) The Primitivo sounds like a great idea and avoiding the crowds is always appealing, but my fiancee just rejected the idea as she has her heart set on the Frances. "Darling, please shut up." If that's not love, what is??? ;) I have the distinct feeling that we're going to be walking Caminos for the rest of our lives so the Primitivo is definitely going on the Camino To-do list.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I have walked many Caminos together and they have been a very special part of our marriage. We hope to celebrate our 50th anniversary on the Camino in 2 years!
Congratulations to you, and may the Way ahead be filled with happiness and adventure!

Congratulations, Herman! Wishing you a long and happy married life. I think this is a terrific idea, because it makes it much more likely that you will be able to share the joys of the Camino together over many many years. I didn't start walking Caminos till aged 50, and at that point my husband was not terribly interested. I dragged him through part of the Portugues and then one year we did the Ingles, but he then called it quits and said it would have to be "my thing" and not "our thing." Starting off together on the Camino, wow, that's wonderful. Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I'm 43 now and my better half is 30. I'm glad that we have discovered the Camino at this point in life. I think that the experience will really solidify our relationship and make one another an integral part of ourselves for years to come.

My husband and I have walked many Caminos together and they have been a very special part of our marriage. We hope to celebrate our 50th anniversary on the Camino in 2 years!
Congratulations to you, and may the Way ahead be filled with happiness and adventure!

Thank you Lynne. Wow, a 50th anniversary! That's some achievement. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My wife and I just celebrated our 30th this month and my wife turns 55 the day before we start our walk so many good reasons to share time together - I am sure there will be some trials during the Camino as I am not one for talking so 6 weeks of - why are you not talking - anyway I look forward to being with Des for not just the 6 weeks of the Camino but for at least another 30 years and many more Caminos

Congrats to you both! Several years ago, we walked with a young Irish couple who were on their honeymoon. Actually, they walked from Dublin, down through England, biked through France and walked again once in Spain. Needless to say, they called their first born James!
We ( fraluchi and me) intended to celebrate our 50th anniversary on the Camino this October, but family commitments mean that we will travel to Europe in June, so two trans-Atlantics in one year are a bit above our budget!
We did celebrate our 45 th in Santiago, arriving there the eve of our anniversary. Anne

Well it's about that time in life when one says "I do". My fiancee and I are tying the knot in 4 weeks and will be having our honeymoon on the Camino; walking the last part of the Frances (from Astorga to SdC) over Easter and then on to Finisterra and Muxia. I'm not sure that it's going to be all that "romantic", but it's sure as hell going to be something that we'll never forget!
Colin Fletcher, in The Complete Walker, said always "walk alone except when newly in love." Let us know how it goes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year in January the hubs and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary but since we didn't want to walk the Camino at that time of year we waited until May. Much celebrating and walking was done for sure. I plan to celebrate my 65th birthday on the Camino, 2017. Now since my birthday is in November I'll have to move it up a bit, again! May sounds like a plan.
Good luck & God bless you both on your new life together. Good times ahead.

Thank you to all for your words of encouragement and personal tales.

I'm not sure if I'll make it to celebrate a 50th anniversary on the Camino though. At 93 it may be beyond my physical capabilities. You never know though, staying fit by walking Caminos and having a lot of that Spanish olive oil in our diet may just be the recipe to a long and healthy life. I'll just have to remember not to order the Pilgrims' Menu each night for dinner ;) , but that glass of red I'm told is also good for the body and soul.

I wonder what the Camino will be like in 50 years???

Perhaps we'll have bed bug scanner apps on our smart phones that "zap" them through ultrasonic waves.

Maybe the Albergues on the Frances will resemble Japanese capsule hotels, stacked in rows 6 levels high?

Maybe Sarria will be moved to Leon and the minimum distance required for a Compostella will be increased?

Perhaps the Botafumerio will be swinging in SdC every day?

Maybe the cellos will need to be scanned into a digital credential every day at the Albergue and the entire journey tracked via GPS? (I do use a smart phone primarily as a camera but this is going too far!)

Maybe you can active the SnoreBuddy app and rate the noise level of snoring at nights in the Albergues?

Perhaps anything digital will be abandoned due to tech overload and people will be taking real cameras with real film that needs to be developed, hence putting more thought into what it is they're taking photos of in the first place?

The mind boggles as to what the future holds for us.

Buen Camino,

The German

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back