• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hornillos private hostal recommendation

We just happened to walk past Casa de Abuelo on the way into Hornillos. The owner came out and greeted us. We got a private room, $10 per person which included a private shower, use of a brand new kitchen, and a comfy new dinning room and living room, don't miss it if you have to stay there. She gave us a key to our room and the hostal to come and go as we pleased. No grocery in town through as well as no food so come prepared or call her ahead to order dinner or breakfast.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
La Casa del Abuelo in Hornillos del Camino is a casa rurale. Here is their entry in TopRural.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a restaurant in Hornillos, on main street, facing the church. It was good.

The restaurant/bar facing the Hornillos church which Felipe mentions is the Casa Manolo. It is VERY good, but unfortunately closed in late autumn/winter when I usually walk. However the hospitalero of the municipal albergue which is next to the church has the keys. Thus pilgrims can purchase non-cooked food items at the restaurant/bar from the hospitalero when the municiapl albergue is open.

MM

There was very favourable mention of a new albergue in Zabaldika (before Larrasoana and Arre in Navarra) last April by two forum members (I can't find that thread just now.) By chance I stopped by the San Estéban chapel there in early April 2013, just before they were to open the albergue.
Does anyone know if the albergue is reopening this spring? I don't see it mentioned on the latest version of the All Albergues list. I ask for others about to start their Camino Francés--I'll be over on the CPortugués myself this time.
Help, please, Moderators: I don't know where to ask this question. should I have created 'a new thread'?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There was very favourable mention of a new albergue in Zabaldika (before Larrasoana and Arre in Navarra) last April by two forum members (I can't find that thread just now.) By chance I stopped by the San Estéban chapel there in early April 2013, just before they were to open the albergue.
Does anyone know if the albergue is reopening this spring?,,,

Yes it will be open; I have a friend will be a volunteer hospitalera. Here what I wrote about this spot at Zalbadika earlier this morning.

MM

I can't remember where we stayed but euro for euro, Hornillos was probably the best bargain on the Camino, not to mention the welcome sight at the end oft he meseta!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue El Alfar in Hornillos is a superb place. Really great owner and very clean rooms and facilities. It has a lovely back garden and when we stayed the hospitalero cooked an amazing paella and we were stuffed silly by the end of the night. Loved this little village and its great hospitality.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The albergue El Alfar in Hornillos is a superb place. Really great owner and very clean rooms and facilities. It has a lovely back garden and when we stayed the hospitalero cooked an amazing paella and we were stuffed silly by the end of the night. Loved this little village and its great hospitality.

I stayed at El Alfar as well, loved the backyard and the fully equipped kitchen where I had a great communal dinner. I think it is closed for the winter.

I guess El Alfar is a new Albergue in Hornillos. It sound very good. Is the old one (which seemed to be in "decline" a few years back) still in operation? Anyone?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess El Alfar is a new Albergue in Hornillos. It sound very good. Is the old one (which seemed to be in "decline" a few years back) still in operation? Anyone?

Sheesh,

The municipal albergue in Hornillos del Camino, located at the side of the church, has recently been upgraded. Now it is properly insulated with new toilets and showers, a wood burning stove in the common basement space plus cozy HEAT in winter. Last November was a VAST improvement compared to what it once was.

Late February 2006 I trudged 20 k across frozen mud and snowdrifts to Hornillos del Camino. Unheated, then the municipal albergue was frigid, dismal and empty; at least there were blankets. A farmer who lived nearby and served as hospitalero brought cocoa powder and milk. I cooked pasta in the basement kitchen and crawled into my sleeping bags piled with blankets. Never in my life including the Canadian years have I spent the night in a colder interior space! My breath hung suspended in the air!

Margaret Meredith

Some friends stayed in the municipal albergue in Hornillos less than 2 weeks ago, they said it was the filthiest albergue they stayed at, the restaurant was closed and there were no options for food.
They were peeved at thought of getting bedbugs from there and didn't sleep well at all.

Sorry to learn that. Last November as I wrote in the earlier post it was quite acceptable. The hospitalera had keys to the bar/restaurant across the street and pilgrims could purchase simple items to heat in the albergue. We were eight or so and no one complained. As always on the camino or in life fortune is the luck of the draw.

Margaret Meredith

We stayed yesterday at the Meeting Point Albergue at Hornillos del Camino. Pretty new Albergue, and the hospitaleros Lauro and Flor, and their son as well, great people, great place. 8 Euros well spent.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back