• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the Via Francigena in September/ October

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
We are currently in planning mode and will walk from Lucca to Rome. We have no fixed dates so would like to know how busy this part of the route is say, starting from Lucca about 12th September. There will be 3 of us walking and maybe a fourth person. Thanks. Sharon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sharon. I waked into Rome on 20 September after leaving Great Saint Bernard Pass on 8 August. I had two nights in Lucca (could have done with a couple more it is such a lovely town) on 2 September. The path certainly got busier throughout Tuscany, but 'busy' on the Via Francigena means you may see 0-5 other walkers each day. I always booked my accommodation at ostellos etc 1-2 days in advance - more out of politeness than necessity. On the via Francigena many of the ostellos are not staffed or are staffed by volunteers so it is best to let them know you are coming.

I also booked my accom in Lucca and Siena via booking.com as I upgraded when having a rest day and wanted to get something very central, so was a bit choosy.

I blogged everyday at www.lifeonebigadventure.com - have a look at Day 24 onwards (from Lucca). Actually the stage out of Lucca to Altopascio was the most ordinary (lots of industrial estates etc) and I know many people who simply skipped this day - even though it is a short one - and caught the train.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can be of assistance. Bye, Mel

We are currently in planning mode and will walk from Lucca to Rome. We have no fixed dates so would like to know how busy this part of the route is say, starting from Lucca about 12th September. There will be 3 of us walking and maybe a fourth person. Thanks. Sharon
I walked that route, beginning at some distance south of Lucca and continued into Rome, and saw other hikers only about 4 days total. That was in June 2017.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sharon. I waked into Rome on 20 September after leaving Great Saint Bernard Pass on 8 August. I had two nights in Lucca (could have done with a couple more it is such a lovely town) on 2 September. The path certainly got busier throughout Tuscany, but 'busy' on the Via Francigena means you may see 0-5 other walkers each day. I always booked my accommodation at ostellos etc 1-2 days in advance - more out of politeness than necessity. On the via Francigena many of the ostellos are not staffed or are staffed by volunteers so it is best to let them know you are coming.

I also booked my accom in Lucca and Siena via booking.com as I upgraded when having a rest day and wanted to get something very central, so was a bit choosy.

I blogged everyday at www.lifeonebigadventure.com - have a look at Day 24 onwards (from Lucca). Actually the stage out of Lucca to Altopascio was the most ordinary (lots of industrial estates etc) and I know many people who simply skipped this day - even though it is a short one - and caught the train.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can be of assistance. Bye, Mel
Thanks Mel. We always try to book 1 or 2 days ahead if possible. Especially as there are a few of us. That’s great information about Lucca. I look forward to reading your blog. Thanks.

I walked that route, beginning at some distance south of Lucca and continued into Rome, and saw other hikers only about 4 days total. That was in June 2017.

Thanks Jim. Hope it is similar.

My husband and I are also very interested in walking the Via Francigena and thinking of starting at the St Bernard Pass. Does anyone have any information as to whether this is feasible to start walking in April? Many thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband and I are also very interested in walking the Via Francigena and thinking of starting at the St Bernard Pass. Does anyone have any information as to whether this is feasible to start walking in April? Many thanks

Hi Avian. I understand that the snow is so deep (18m deep last Winter!!) that the pass does not open until late May-mid-June. I guess it all depends on the season, but even when I started in early August there still pockets of snow about high up on the mountains!! Perhaps kicking off at Aosta would be a safer bet?? Mel

Hello Avian, if you mean visiting the pass itself, definitely not April. Could be quite impassable up until June. I'm writing a "beginners guide" post to how the pass works, but I have no wifi where I am so cannot post it until I get back to UK after weekend. I was there twice last year.
You will be able to get to Bourg St Pierre and could connect with bus through the tunnel, which is NOT everyday. But if it is very snowy it may mean a lot of road walking. (You cannot walk through the tunnel!)

Last edited:
We started at St Bernard Pass last Sept 12 and walked to Rome. We never saw more than a few pilgrims a day. Sometimes none. We were mainly using private accommodation but those we met using pilgrim lodging were not complaining about lack of space.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Avian. I understand that the snow is so deep (18m deep last Winter!!) that the pass does not open until late May-mid-June. I guess it all depends on the season, but even when I started in early August there still pockets of snow about high up on the mountains!! Perhaps kicking off at Aosta would be a safer bet?? Mel
Many thanks Mel for this information

Hello Avian, if you mean visiting the pass itself, definitely not April. Could be quite impassable up until June. I'm writing a "beginners guide" post to how the pass works, but I have no wifi where I am so cannot post it until I get back to UK after weekend. I was there twice last year.
You will be able to get to Bourg St Pierre and could connect with bus through the tunnel, which is NOT everyday. But if it is very snowy it may mean a lot of road walking. (You cannot walk through the tunnel!)
Thank you Timr for your feedback _ I would definitely be interested in reading about your 'beginners guide' when you get a chance to write it. All information from those who have walked before us is so invaluable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Between 6 September and 6 October I walked from Gran San Bernardo to Massa, Toscana. Only two times there were issues. The ostello in Ivrea was full, but they offered to bring me to another place outside Ivrea. I decided however to find a room via Bookings. I think that the ostello was complete because the next morning there was a big hill running event in Ivrea.

At Cassio (on a Sunday) we found a place at the ostello, but people coming after us found no place. The man running the ostello did all his best to find accomodation for them in the neighbourhood. On the Francigena it is advised to call the ostello's one or two days before, so they know that someone is coming.. We crossed the Po with 12 pilgrims on board but I hear that on other days there are less people. There is no crowd on the Via Francigena but every day I met a few other hikers.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back