• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I bring a bike from pamplona to SJPDP? May 6th - 7th

1mike12

Time of past OR future Camino
none
I wanted to bike the camino but bringing my bike from the US was just not possible due to complex logistics & $400 in cost, notwithstanding any damage to my bike. So I've decided to head to the decathlon in Pamplon and buy a bike instead for 200 euro.

I looked on the ALSA site and they say they take bikes as long as they're in bags, but only 2 per bus. I also read somewhere here that they biked pamplona to SJPDP to start, but I would rather not have to cross the mountains twice. It's not a distance I haven't done before, but still would like to not start on such an intense trek.

I also looked into renting a car, but it was also around 500 euro since I'd be dropping it off not at a rental hub.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Mike,

ALSA goes from Pamplona to SJPDP and they will take your bike, but book way in advance, as you are aware, they only take so many bikes per trip. Good luck!

Buen Camino!

I wanted to bike the camino but bringing my bike from the US was just not possible due to complex logistics & $400 in cost, notwithstanding any damage to my bike. So I've decided to head to the decathlon in Pamplon and buy a bike instead for 200 euro.

I looked on the ALSA site and they say they take bikes as long as they're in bags, but only 2 per bus. I also read somewhere here that they biked pamplona to SJPDP to start, but I would rather not have to cross the mountains twice. It's not a distance I haven't done before, but still would like to not start on such an intense trek.

I also looked into renting a car, but it was also around 500 euro since I'd be dropping it off not at a rental hub.
Just an idea it is only a 3 day walk from SJPDP to Pamplona many bikes are simply pushed up the mountain to Roncevalles. Buy a small pack use it then donate once you get to Pamplona.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have cycled from Pamplona to Santiago - if interested do a search. Now for your problem - I agree with MTto - the logistics of getting any bike from Pamplona to St Jean are a real pain the ***** (where you sit!). You probably can get it to Roncesvalles (from Pamplona) without too much trouble - the buses on that section are usually a little quieter. As long as you have a good lock you should be able to store it in one of the better albergues (or hotels); taxi to St Jean - have a rest day (or at least half a day) and then walk back to Roncesvalles (take the two days - you can enjoy this time). Without knowing your bike history I am a little hesitant to offer route advise or timing but I would recommend taking two or three days to get into the idea of cycling the Camino (say 3 days from Roncesvalles to Puente La Reina) there are both significant "up hills" and "down hills" on this first 60-65 km and you need to get to know your new bike. There is a great bike shop in Pamplona - they did some repairs to my bike before I headed out. Also as Spain is a real cycling nation there are good bike shops the whole Camino and all will be able to help as and when you need it. One last tip - hows your Spanish? If not great at least learn the names (in Spanish) for the various parts of your bike). Buen cycling Camino!!

I cycled from SJPP. Nice ride, not much of a pilgrimage on a bike. I walked it 2 years later much better experience. It's about an hour and a half by car from Pamplona. Options are:
1 Bite the bullet, take a taxi.
2 Leave the bike in Pamplona take the bus back and walk (really the least expensive,least hassle)
3 Cycle to SJPP 6 hours on the pavement or 2 days at a liesurely pace
4 Forget the bike altogether. If it's a pilgrimage you are after, it is a very different experience on foot. If it's just a bike ride, there are much better options in Europe.
Best of luck

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back