• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I decide which route to take from St. Jean Pieds de P

mbv1

Time of past OR future Camino
march/april 2013
I am looking for a bit of advice. I am starting the Camino on the 24th March and I am really anxious about the first stage from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. I would like to do the Route de Napoleon, but how does one know about the weather or changes in the weather. Is it better to do this route over 2 days and stop at Orisson or have an early start and do it in one? Also what is the road route like? I am an older pilgrim and also would feel more confident if there are people around or nearby for this first stage. I feel as if I am being a bit too anxious but would really appreciate some tips and advice from those who have done it at this time of year. Many thanks, Barbara

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Call the information center in SJPDP and ask if the trail is open, if there's no snow present or warning. If it's open, get to SJPDP , tour the town and climb the first 6 km to Hounto or Orisson and stay the night there, it'll be easier the next day and you won't be alone there for sure.
If conditions are bad don't bother coming to SJPDP and start from Roncevalles.

What's it like?

It is a steady, steep climb on a small tarred road for 19km, no downs and very few flat sections, until the end. Besides the gradient, neither the first 14km on a tarred road or the last 10 on a path are too challenging. I suppose if you are completely unfit it can be a terribly steep stage but I have taken not-so-fit people on that route and they have all made it and lived to tell their tales! There is a steep down at the end - you have to choose between 6km (road route) or 3km (beech woods).

If you do it in two days it will be a piece of cake. The first 14km or so is on a little tarred road - consistently steep up from St Jean. After 5km you reach Huntto. Stop for a rest and a coffee or coke! At about the 6.4km mark there is a fountain and a table. Stop for a look at the view - if it is a nice day!

Another 2+ km and you reach Orisson. Stay for the night. I think it is €32 for a bed and dinner. If you don't get in, stay another night in St Jean. Get a taxi to fetch you from Orisson and take you back to St Jean (± €8) and bring you back the next day.

3km beyond Orisson you see the statue of the Virgin of Biakorri on the left. (11km)
Stop a while to catch your breath and take photos. Another 2km further a road joins yours from the right. This is the road to Arneguy which is on the Val Carlos route. The tarred road ends about 2km further just after the sign that reads Roncesvaux/Orreaga (15km).

From there you are on a lovely, grass path - still going up but not scary. It is not a rocky mountain track and there is no difficulty in walking it - its just steep. 1.5km later you come to a wooden sign that directs you to the Col Leopoeder and Roncesvalles.
At the 20.5km sign you have two choices - take the path into the beech woods - VERY steeply downhill for 3.5km through the woods which can be trecherous in wet weather - or the slightly longer road route to the Ibañeta pass where the Val Carlos route joins and down to Roncesvalles.

I've walked both routes - Val Carlos and Napoleon. On the Val Carlos route we stayed in a Casa at Val Carlos and then went over the Ibaneta Pass the next day. The scenery is stunning on both routes. There is a lot of off road walking on the road route and the last few kms to the pass on the road route are even steeper than the Route Napoleon! If the weather is bad, do not follow the Camino signs off the road - stay on the road and you'll be OK. A few years ago, in April, a strong, fit, fell walker died after being caught in a snow storm. He was found about 50m from the road.

Send your packs ahead if you want to and just carry essentials in a daypack - many pilgrims do. Your pack will be delivered to La Posada in Roncesvalles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Due to my age I have always walked the Valcarlos alternative route. This goes through the mountains and not over them to Roncevalles. During storms the police often stop at the municipal albergue in SJPdP and stress NOT to use the Napoleon route and only the Valcarlos one. Even so this is not a simple endeavor but very steep just before the Ibaneta pass at 1060 meters. After Ibaneta you can almost float easily down into Roncvevalles. As other posters have mentioned in extreme weather, ie. rain, fog or snow. stay on the road and do NOT walk in the woods.

In Valcarlos/Luzaide the new municipal albergue is a great place to stop. Well maintained, heated and with good facilities it is a bargain at 10 euros including breakfast. You can also reserve your bunk in advance. Here it is on Eroski >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-de-luzaide-valcarlos.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi

I am leaving St Jean on 15th March- I emailed the refuge in Orisson about reserving a bed but they said that they will not have opened yet on that date. They suggested perhaps using a gite 800m before the refuge but this is for a bed only, no food. I have decided that I will use the Valcarlos route instead.

If you want to stop in Orisson, I would suggest emailing the refuge at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and asking if they will be open by the 24th March.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks so much for starting this thread. I am hoping to leave in mid- to late August and am already experiencing some angst about this first day. At this exact moment, 25 km and 1400m of vertical is very intimidating, especially in light of my fitness level, which is somewhere between "moderately fit" and "needs to spend more time off of the couch." I had considered either splitting the Napoleon route into two legs, taking the Valcarlos route (and perhaps splitting it), or just starting from Roncesvalles. It is very helpful to know that I am not the only one pondering these questions.

The anxiety, doubts, and trepidation before embarking on the Camino are absolutely normal and even necessary. DO NOT let these feelings hold you back and use them to get you focus and determination. I never walked more than 5 miles at a time in my life and yet completed the first day SJPDP to Roncesvalles in less than 8 hours and felt amazing. The climb on this route is somewhat gradual, so if you walk slow as you go up, you don't really feel the climb. DO NOT RACE, use a baggage transfer service on this first day, and take breaks at least every 2 hours.

Definitely whether is March or August the stop at the SJPDP Pilgrims Office is a MUST. They have very knowledgeable, local volunteers that will answer any questions, including whether the Pass is even open, it may not be and you may have no choice, but to go the Valcarlos Route. Honestly, in March, I would plan to go the Valcarlos route, regardless.

Thankyou so much everyone for the really helpful information. It is so good to know that all these people are out there who have so much experience of the Camino and a 'first timers' anxieties.
Buen Camino!

Barbara

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back