• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How do you manage to overcome your language learning laziness?

The best App I have found is News In Slow Spanish. Take a look and PM me if interested. I am a member of a study group which gets a very good discount. I gain no benefit financially or otherwise and those who decide to subscribe pay directly to NISS via their website. Just thought it might be helpful.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And, anecdotal observation, it has worked! (Though I've never heard that this was a government decision; more likely the economics of studios dubbing into continental Portuguese just didn't add up in terms of potential viewership, so distributors went with subtitles.)

You're likely run into far more English-speaking locals in Portugal, at least in the midsized towns and bigger, than in Spain.

I have heard it yet another way, that the stopping of dubbing in Portugal in the 1970s was the government's way of trying to encourage the local film industry by way of making English-language films incomprehensible to locals. Instead, the Portuguese kept watching those films, learned English better, and didn't make their own films. That story does seem a bit of a stretch but I like it anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started using Duolingo to learn spanish about 6 months before I went on the Camino Frances. I still do it daily now 6 years later and when I was in Guatemala and more recently Costa Rica, it helped a great deal. I'm no where fluent but, like you, I'm generally a bit lazy about language learning and well... learning in general. But I find Duolingo Spanish is a lot of fun. I guess kinda like how some folks like video games...I like Duolingo. I'm in the highest league and I enjoy the challenge. BTW I am going to hike Del Norte in October 2023 and I'm soooo happy I kept up with my Spanish. Buen Camino.

One of the many semi-successful strategies in learning Portuguese, for me, was kind of like this.

(I should preface this: we don't have a car, when we are living in Portugal, so we walk, bus, train or when needing to go somewhere local-ish that the buses don't easily go, we take a taxi. Portuguese taxis are pretty cheap.)

Our local taxi in Barquinha is a service run by a family, where both adults run taxis. It's the luck of the draw, and whether it's after-school hours or not, which taxi you get. When we get the wife's taxi, I'm in luck. My French is better than my Portuguese, after 6 years in high school--but it's not great. Our taxi driver spent many years in Switzerland, and speaks fluent French as well as her native Portuguese. We've arrived at an arrangement, over the last 5 years of our intermittent presence in Barquinha. She chats with me in French, which I mostly understand, and requires me to respond in Portuguese, which she then corrects.

I found that this year, after a year of weekly online Portuguese classes while I've been away, I've progressed to the extent that she can mostly speak to me in slow Portuguese instead of French. She still corrects me, which is great. Amazing what you can do in a 15-minute taxi ride!

But of course this technique is not too useful for someone just passing through the country. I highly recommend spending a bit on online classes. My Portuguese classes, taught from Portugal and including students from Canada, US, South Africa, Ireland, UK, and Portugal itself, have been invaluable and don't take too much scheduled time. A lot of the work between classes can be done when it fits in your own schedule.

Last edited:
This story would make some sense, if it happened post-revolution (mid-70s). They had a lot of interesting policies.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am a linguaphile, so my motivation is innate. But something that is not only enjoyable but speeds up the learning is to read interesting things in the language, selecting (if possible) ones that are at a suitable level. For example, a "juvenile fiction" book I read in Italian. I probably did not know half the words, but the other half were enough to enjoy the story, and many of the ones I didn't know just sort of sunk in along the way.

To train my ear and improve pronunciation, I find a source of audio with text and read along while listening. Audiobooks or bible (two sites with many languages are https://bible.is and https://bible.com)

See also https://www.fluentin3months.com/handcrafted/ and https://rhinospike.com

This pretty much encapsulates the keys to success in learning a language, according to a number of those that have succeeded. You have to be motivated, you have to practice every day, you have to learn it doing something you enjoy, don't fear making mistakes (and a couple of other points that I can't immediately remember!)

Immersion has immense benefits too.

Personally, my experience is that the first time being able to understand someone speaking a foreign language is wonderfully rewarding.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked round and round in my restricted 5km radius during COVID lockdown listening to podcasts called Spanish With Paul Mini Courses. I was due to fly out from Australia to do my second Camino on 1st April, 2020. Well, I had 2 extra years to look forward to it, and eventually walked March- April 2022.

I teach English to migrants voluntarily & totally relate to the challenge of learning a foreign language. My second language is Chirades. I am now quite fluent.

I have just checked the English guidebook section "How to communicate with locals when abroad". SPEAK. LOUDER. AND. SLOWER. IN. ENGLISH. This apparently works in all countries. Allegedly

Many years ago on my first trip to Hong Kong, I received this advice from an Englishman who had lived there for a few years.

"If the taxi driver does not understand you, repeat where you want to go loudly in a heavy theatrical Chinese accent".

My first attempt speaking normally failed dismally.

"wha.......wha" and a puzzled look.

So I tried a heavy fake Chinese accent and repeated my self.

"Ah..............OK..........."

It worked!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just checked the English guidebook section "How to communicate with locals when abroad". SPEAK. LOUDER. AND. SLOWER. IN. ENGLISH. This apparently works in all countries. Allegedly
This is something I've always disparaged but I'm beginning to have second thoughts as I learn Spanish. I know that if I am having difficulty in understanding Spanish, it will help if the Spanish speaker does something similar in Spanish.

Clearly, if the person spoken to has no English at all, this will be of no use. But if they have some (which is becoming more frequently the case) it might actually help.

Maybe we should just give up. Also maybe this should be about Americans but who would believe that they would be waiting at a bus stop?

A Swiss man, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says.

The two Englishmen just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous Francais?" The two continue to stare.

"Parlare Italiano?" No response.

"Hablan ustedes Espanol?" Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says, "Maybe we should learn a foreign language...."

"Why?" says the other, "That bloke knew four and it didn't do him any good."

(I'm Swiss)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am sooo fluent in Spanglish. Now just need to work on more “Span” than “glish”. For my part, I am working on listening comprehension through podcasts and I have trained the Netflix algorithm to feed me Spanish language programs (with English subs).

I’ll give Duolingo another try for vocab, but the cartoons and the way that they gate you through sections has always frustrated me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I received a newsletter in my inbox today from Luca Lampariello, a famous Italian polyglot. Here are some of his words of wisdom about language learning from the newsletter:

Great thread! My problem is this: I have been learning Dutch slowly for a number of years (thanks to meeting a Dutch guy on the CF in 2007) and have finally passed all of the state exams. It was a long struggle, prolonged by my continent hopping. I am back in Spain for a short period for the first time since we walked the VdLP in 2017, and I find that, with every attempt to utter a Spanish word, something Dutch pops into my head and sometimes out of my mouth.

Admittedly, my multilingual Dutch partner has no hesitation to speak what I refer to as his 'bullshit Spanish' (sometimes with an Italian accent). If he doesn't know a word, he makes sh*t up, and it seems to work much of the time.

Between the two factors, I have become reluctant to challenge myself. No excuse, I know. I suspect that a period of immersion is the only solution, following which I hope that I can still cope with Dutch...

Most read last week in this forum