• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How easy is it to get taxis along the way?

molly1952

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais 2014/2015
Just wondering how to get a taxi in villages along the way? I probably won't have taxi numbers myself and don't speak Spanish anyway. Would the alberque staff normally order a taxi for you? I will probably need to shorten a couple of the stages as I won't walk much more than 20km per day, and there may be days when I need to give myself a 6 or 8km start by taxi. Last year when I walked from St Jean to Logrono I found that local buses weren't really an option, but didn't come across options for calling a taxi.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know that the staff at albergues will get a taxi for you. But I too wondered just how good a taxi would be at finding you out in the middle of nowhere.

I know that the staff at albergues will get a taxi for you. But I too wondered just how good a taxi would be at finding you out in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks Jeff - I think I'd play safe and start the day with the taxi ride rather than trying to arrange to be collected - as you say - in the middle of nowhere. The days in the Meseta are particularly long and tedious so it'd be great to be dropped a few kms on my way and then walk on from there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Seems like any cafe or bar could help folks as well.

Just about any albergue or bar will call a taxi for you :) And you are SMART to do the taxi at the beginning of the stage.
There are some stages where getting a taxi in the middle could be difficult.

... I will probably need to shorten a couple of the stages as I won't walk much more than 20km per day, and there may be days when I need to give myself a 6 or 8km start by taxi. ...

You need NOT complete any stage in one day! As long as accommodation is available you can stop walking for the day where you want/need. Might you wish a list of 'my halts in-between' ? If so send a PM.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What mspath said.
Walk as many k as you are comfortable walking and stop when you want to stop!
There are no rules about how far you must walk each day.
Give yourself extra days and when you get to Santiago if you have extra time, there is plenty to see and do.

Just wondering how to get a taxi in villages along the way? I probably won't have taxi numbers myself and don't speak Spanish anyway. Would the alberque staff normally order a taxi for you? I will probably need to shorten a couple of the stages as I won't walk much more than 20km per day, and there may be days when I need to give myself a 6 or 8km start by taxi. Last year when I walked from St Jean to Logrono I found that local buses weren't really an option, but didn't come across options for calling a taxi.
Easy but can be expensive in rural areas. But you'll have no trouble asking for their numbers. Taxi is the same word in spanish (though pronounced differently)

Thanks everyone - yea I take your point about only walking as far as I'm able. But my time is limited and in order to get to my goal - Leon - which is the best place to get my bus to Madrid to fly home, I need to plan my stages, - at least up to a point.
Easy but can be expensive in rural areas. But you'll have no trouble asking for their numbers. Taxi is the same word in spanish (though pronounced differently)
Thanks Waveprof. Thing is - I don't even have enough Spanish to have a phone conversation with a taxi-driver, which is why I'm hoping to get someone to call one for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone - yea I take your point about only walking as far as I'm able. But my time is limited and in order to get to my goal - Leon - which is the best place to get my bus to Madrid to fly home, I need to plan my stages, - at least up to a point.

Thanks Waveprof. Thing is - I don't even have enough Spanish to have a phone conversation with a taxi-driver, which is why I'm hoping to get someone to call one for me.
Molly, most likely the people at the bar or cafe or albergue will want to call for you anyway since most will be using their cell phones

Another suggestion...as you walk, you may want to snap a photo whenever there is a sign with a phone number for a taxi.
You will have the number if you need it as you walk. I heard that the taxi drivers know the Camino very well and even if
not able to communicate in fluent English, will usually be able to locate you with some basic description of your location.
And...as others have mentioned above, stop whenever you need to stop. The only stages that matter are your stages!
Buen Camino!

Good idea Yakremark. Hopefully I won't need taxis at all, - last year on my walk from St Jean to Logrono I was fine - but it's nice to have options if the going gets hard.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back