• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How fit do you have to be?

BevT

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully 2017 from Porto
I would love to do (part of) the Camino this year, probably starting in Porto. Question I need to ask... do you have to be extremely fit to attempt it? I'm 60 & normally walk for about an hour every day.. which is not really anywhere close to the distances I'll need to cover on the Camino, but maybe I'll get fitter as I walk? Or is it best to do serious training before even attempting to do the Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would love to do (part of) the Camino this year, probably starting in Porto. Question I need to ask... do you have to be extremely fit to attempt it? I'm 60 & normally walk for about an hour every day.. which is not really anywhere close to the distances I'll need to cover on the Camino, but maybe I'll get fitter as I walk? Or is it best to do serious training before even attempting to do the Camino?

Good question. Always ask. Better to know.
I am 70+ and not extremely fit. But I do walk and try to do hills and put some long kms in before my Caminos. i.e. I am planning on walking from Lisboa to Santiago next month. If short on time I will modify that from Porto to Santiago. I walk a hard day with pack and hills. Trail walking. Lots of stepping up and down. Off days between are long walks with out pack. Taking Sunday off.

To answer your question, I saw many start from "day one" on their Camino. Not fit at all. They walk easy first few days-- week. Then increase kms and pace later on. Yes this is hard way to do it. But seems to work for people.

I prefer to be in the middle. Having done some walking with pack before starting Camino. But, not being super fit before the walk.
Reason for pre training is to know shoes, pack and gear BEFORE heading off on Camino.

One danger I believe is you can over train before even starting the Camino. Causing harm.

Guess it is how you feel and what you are looking to do on your camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
do you have to be extremely fit to attempt it?
Definitely not.
I'm 60 & normally walk for about an hour every day
That is probably more than most people who successfully manage to do the Camino.

More important than overall "fitness" is that your shoes/boots must be excellent and well tested, and your feet should be used to them.

Using poles is a good idea.

Start making your plans! :)

Just start. Don't be afraid to get a bus or train to a hotel and then back to where you stopped and carry on. You can do the Camino in 10-15km increments if you are willing to 'commute' and as you walk you will get fitter.

The people that I have seen start the slowest, end the strongest!

It might be worth building up a little more time and distance in your regular walking but there is no need for a big systematic training programme. If you have read any horror stories about unprepared people being daunted by the early stages they probably come from people who were completely unfit and then started on the Camino Frances from St Jean: a much tougher and more dramatic proposition than the Camino Portuguese from Porto which is a far gentler and less demanding route. Do make sure your footwear is tried and tested well in advance because the small cobblestones which cover a lot of the way in the first few days can be quite testing for the feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't be tempted to try and keep up with anybody else! This is a recipe for disaster (and blisters)! Think about what your own body is telling you and walk at your own pace. This is hard advice to follow, as you inevitably meet a congenial group of Camino friends.

If you are leaving from Porto, I don't think a reasonably active 60 year old (such as yourself) has anything to worry about. The Portuguese routes that I have walked have a few hills, but nothing too major to be concerned about. This does not mean that you will not get tired or get sore, but that is just part of the experience. Start off slow, go at your own pace, and you will be fine. My personal philosophy at this point (I am 59 years old) is that a little training and better fitness will help the enjoyment, but I have never done any "serious" training for any of my walks. Take the advice above about footwear - that is important!

I can't speak from experience, but I can speak from my research: If you are walking any route. the first couple of days are rough for everyone, no matter their level of fitness, naturally, the more fit you are, the better off you will be. As you continue, your level of fitness will increase, and the better off you will be and by the end of the first two weeks, you will be fine, but you have to manage those first two weeks. From what I've read and heard of the route starting in Oporto, you should be fine.

I will be starting from SJPDP, and I will be honest, the idea of those first two days scares the crap out of me. Nevertheless, I will persist. I train regularly: by myself and I get people to sponsor me for charity walks (kill two birds with one stone). The hardest one, though not the longest, was a 13 km walk across the Confederation Bridge over the Northumberland Strait from Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick and that was due to the surface (asphalt over concrete is a killer, even with good boots and trekking poles). I want to get used to the concept of 20 km per day but that's me and YMMV.

good shoes/boots/trail sandals whatever your chosen footwear happens to be is essential. Start looking now, find what suits you best and make sure they are well broken in. improper foot wear I'm sure has done in more pilgrims than the strain of the trail. Be good to your feet and your feet will be good to you.

Happy Trails!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would generally agree with @AbbyDee, with one caveat: I actually find that days 3-4 are more difficult than days 1-2. My legs often feel a bit dead on days 3-4. I am not sure why, but maybe it is the excitement and adrenaline of just starting out that make days 1-2 easier. This obviously is not the case when starting out from SJPdP!

I would generally agree with @AbbyDee, with one caveat: I actually find that days 3-4 are more difficult than days 1-2. My legs often feel a bit dead on days 3-4. I am not sure why, but maybe it is the excitement and adrenaline of just starting out that make days 1-2 easier. This obviously is not the case when starting out from SJPdP!

I bow to your superior experience in this matter! :) My Camino is still yet to be and what will be on the 3rd and 4th days is yet to be discovered. And I have no doubt that I will have a lot to experience in the time to come.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back