• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how fit is fit? Route Napoleon or Road route...

anne-marie valton

Time of past OR future Camino
2004 - Sarria Santiago
2005 - Pamplona - Santiago (bicycle
2006 - SJPDP - Santiago
(2018) Porto-SdC
We are starting off from SJPP on the 15th of august - (is that a public holiday?) and we cannot make up our minds which way to go. We are a little "frightened" by so many saying that the route Napoleon is very hard... We are not top athletes though..
Would anyone give us a good advice? We are two women - 57and 61 - the last couple of months we have been walking 20-23 km a week with 5 kg backpack, now almost everyday but shorter distances...
May be we should not decide until we are there..? Which road is taken by most peregrinos?
Anne-Marie :roll:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Peter... Would there be a bus service from Pamplona on that day do you think?
Anne-Marie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I replied to you yesterday that there is no busses (as far as I was able to see) on the 15th.
Check my reply.

Without hesitation take the route Napoleon. If you are tired stop at the nice albergue Orisson and go on the following day.

It is worth doing, believe me. When you get to the top you can either take the road or the steep path through the forest to get to Roncevaux. Judge which road when you get there. If it rains the downhill path is slippery but you can do it ... especially at your age :lol:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
How fit is fit?

Thank you for your advice - now we have decided to take the route Napoleon - and only the weather can keep us from that...
We start our Camino on the 16th of August from SJPdP - hope to see some of you guys!!
Lots of love to all.
Anne-MArie

Last week (25 July 2006) we walked the route Napoleon from Saint Jean le Vieux to Roncesvalles (29 km)

No physical difficulty, but clouds were low and it was good to have map (1mm = 200m), compass, and gps

See my site

My pack weighed 15kg
I will be 66 this month.
I am supremely unathletic

Richard H

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Route Napolean is alright in good weather, just seems to go up and up forever, then there's a nasty 45 degree slope to Roncesvalles, be warned....!

My eyes went funny in the clouds, but I think you'll be fine. Just pace yourselves!

I'm picking the camino up from Burgos in a week and a half and I'm itching to get back on it!

Buen Camino!

Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer me. We have now decided to take the Route Napoleon if weather permits - and to stay the first night(from the 16th to 17th august) in Orisson ( have already booked two beds!).
My backpack is ready now and weighs 9.1 kilos (without water that is) and I hope I will be all right. Just bought (again) a new backpack, the lighter one I had (1.5 kilos- takes 30litres))) was not good for my hips. I just bought a Fjallraven 50 l) and this one has good hip support and lots of adjustments to fit just me...I now have got some empty space and I will not fill it up! Just remember someone (in here?) saying that if you have the correct backpack it does not matter so much if it weighs 7 or 10 kilos.. trust that is right.
Now I cannot wait to get started! AM taking a flight to Barcelona from Copenhagen on monday 14th and then the night train to Pamplona - and maybe a taxi? from there to SJPdP. Time will show. God bless you all and "au revoir".
Anne-Marie :roll:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just a quick word of advice... Try to whittle down the weight of your pack. 9kg seems a little heavy to me. You'll only need three sets of clothes!

I'm not discounting fit etc, all I'm saying is that if you don't really need it, then why haul it over the Pyrenees!

and another thing, I don't really see the Camino as a "yomp". Why carry unnecessary kit?! Fit + less weight will surely make life easier...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back