• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How safe is the portuguese Camino central for women solo walkers?

Stefystar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi, I am a woman new member and I am going to walk the portuguese Camino from early September. I have walked solo from sarria to santiago, last september. In may Francigena from aquapendente to Rome. Should I worry about going solo? Will I meet other pilgrims along the day on the route? On Francigena was quite sporadic a handful a day...
Would you advise early starts?
From Tui go Porrino on alternative route, 9.2 in the woods, any places to stop as coffee/food??
You can tell I am not a seasoned Walker, but walking has added a new dimension to my life.
Thank you all for your advise☺

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I am a woman new member and I am going to walk the portuguese Camino from early September. I have walked solo from sarria to santiago, last september. In may Francigena from aquapendente to Rome. Should I worry about going solo? Will I meet other pilgrims along the day on the route? On Francigena was quite sporadic a handful a day...
Would you advise early starts?
From Tui go Porrino on alternative route, 9.2 in the woods, any places to stop as coffee/food??
You can tell I am not a seasoned Walker, but walking has added a new dimension to my life.
Thank you all for your advise☺

Hi

It’s safe, and you will meet other pilgrims.

You can start early if you wish. I prefer to start later, and have a few more people around, in case there are stray dogs on the path.

From Tui to Porrino the only bar on the alternative route is Bar Laguna, as described in another thread. There is a restaurant near that fork as well, but it was closed when I checked it out in March. It might be open in September.

Jill

Hi Jill,
Thank you so much for your reassuring words!
I have been following the forum since last year, and found all topics so helpful to organise my first camino.
As a total beginner , I treasured all the suggestions .
Stefy star

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just cycled the Portuguese Camino and a friend walked it last year, there are some long streches and there are not as many walkers on this section. Most of it is on tracks are there are long sections along roads.

Hi Stefy!
Welcome to the forum :).
The Portuguese was my first camino, back in 2011 and I loved it. In fact, so much so that I plan to repeat it in 2018.
Folk may be unwilling to say "...of course you'll be safe!" as that might render them liable to adverse comments later.
But I can assure you that I met many single ladies on that camino, and they all had a great time.
My diary and pictures are on my personal web site.
Feel free to download them: I'm here if you have any other questions ...
Buen camino!

Hi Stefy!
Welcome to the forum :).
The Portuguese was my first camino, back in 2011 and I loved it. In fact, so much so that I plan to repeat it in 2018.
Folk may be unwilling to say "...of course you'll be safe!" as that might render them liable to adverse comments later.
But I can assure you that I met many single ladies on that camino, and they all had a great time.
My diary and pictures are on my personal web site.
Feel free to download them: I'm here if you have any other questions ...
Buen camino!

I am a solo female walker and the Portugues never felt unsafe except for the first days out of Porto with the mad traffic ;)...

And that stretch in the forest toward O Porrino is quite ok too. Towards the end of that stretch before reaching the outskirts of O Porrino you wil find Tia Maria... I copied and posted one of my earlier posts...

This would be the Taberna a Tia Maria in O Porrino. It is a churrasqueira restaurant and also bar. It is 50 metres off route at the Velodromo of O Porrino just at the end of the more scenic route into this town ( from Orbenlle ). Lovely people, was there on a sunday, very nice ambiance and only locals. The lady also insisted on filling my bottle.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked it solo last year from Tui and felt safe the entire time. I found that when I left earlier I encountered more people (before 7:30 am), but I'm a slow walker, so it was mostly people passing me. :rolleyes: There were a few days when I started later (one day not until 11am!) and didn't run into many other pilgrims. I took the "regular" path through the industrial park approaching Porrino (which I don't recommend) but there were places to stop before the detour to the nicer path. I stopped at Restaurante Orbenlle, where the waiter was very helpful in explaining the detour route (even though I didn't take it), for a quick snack before keeping on to Porrino. Buen camino to you!

I have just cycled the Portuguese Camino and a friend walked it last year, there are some long streches and there are not as many walkers on this section. Most of it is on tracks are there are long sections along roads.
Thank you, I will bear this in mind!

I walked it solo last year from Tui and felt safe the entire time. I found that when I left earlier I encountered more people (before 7:30 am), but I'm a slow walker, so it was mostly people passing me. :rolleyes: There were a few days when I started later (one day not until 11am!) and didn't run into many other pilgrims. I took the "regular" path through the industrial park approaching Porrino (which I don't recommend) but there were places to stop before the detour to the nicer path. I stopped at Restaurante Orbenlle, where the waiter was very helpful in explaining the detour route (even though I didn't take it), for a quick snack before keeping on to Porrino. Buen camino to you!
Thank you for your very helpful information, quite like what I may do!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
By all reports it is very safe. Remember that 112 is the emergency call number.

Are there any other pilgrims starting from Tui from the 7th of sept?☺

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Portuguese Camino in May 2015. Alone, and it was wonderful! Coming from South Africa i am cautious. Did not feel unsafe for a minute!

I walked solo from Le Puy-en-Velay in France to Santiago (3 months) and never felt unsafe. In fact, I felt safer with pilgrims I'd never met before than in my own home town! Definitely an eye opening experience into the human capacity for kindness.
Buen Camino :)

I walked solo from Le Puy-en-Velay in France to Santiago (3 months) and never felt unsafe. In fact, I felt safer with pilgrims I'd never met before than in my own home town! Definitely an eye opening experience into the human capacity for kindness.
Buen Camino :)

Lovely to hear such good comment. I felt like that on my camino last year, so it feels is going to be the same with this one too. Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked alone ;) Camino Portugese at the end of April this year. Always felt safe and to be honest I was never actually alone: some day have met new pilgrims, the other days I walked with people I have already met before. The horrible blisters on my feet and the pace I was walking were a great conversation starter ;) In the end I have met the love of my life and I we are starting a brand new life together :)

Buen Camino

I walked alone ;) Camino Portugese at the end of April this year. Always felt safe and to be honest I was never actually alone: some day have met new pilgrims, the other days I walked with people I have already met before. The horrible blisters on my feet and the pace I was walking were a great conversation starter ;) In the end I have met the love of my life and I we are starting a brand new life together :)

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back