• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get from Pamplona to St Jean PdP in April 2013

Hedley49

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Santiago Apr-May "2013" Completed.
SJPdP - Santiago - Finisterre Apr-May "2014" Completed.
Via De La Plata Apr-May 2015 planning at present.
I am planning to arrive in Pamplona 7th April from Perth, Australia via Barcelona. I am struggling to find any information on services to St Jean PdP other than an expensive Taxi. There are bus services from June to Sept but I cannot find anything to even Roncesvalles. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11050.html
a bus leaves at 1400.
when arriving to SJPD-if you have your strength, make an efort and walk the first 6 km up to Hounto. It'll be easier the next day.
If the weather is bad, snow heavy rain or zero visibility (ask at the information center) don't bother to climb up the mountain, take the shuttle back to Roncevalles and start walking from there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the feedback folks. Very helpful.

Wait... you are traveling on 7th April, which is a Sunday and not in peak season. The buses from Pamplona to Roncesvalles don't run on Sundays or holidays. And last year the 2:00pm bus was available only in summer, say June to mid-September.

Check out this website: http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles for what's available in April. It shows the bus runs Monday-Friday 6:00pm, and Saturday 4:00pm.

And that gets you only to Roncesvalles. Then you will need to get a taxi or hitch a ride to SJPP.

On a Sunday from Pamplona your only option - I think - is a taxi.

I realize you said no Taxi. However, it looks like your flying in from Australia, which means you will have taken a couple of planes and maybe a train just to arrive. You'll probably be tired, a little lost and anxious to get to SJPDP. I know I was! Do yourself a favor, take a taxi. You may also see some other pilgrims and split the ride. It's about 90 e.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you do end up going with the taxi plan, you might also consider staying over a night in Pamplona. There are plenty of comfortable accommodation options and a lively evening promenade to all the tapas bars. Then you could taxi to SJPP on Monday morning rested and refreshed. If you are not rushed for time, then maybe enjoy SJPP, visit the Pilgrim's Office, and then take a leisurely walk up to Orisson or Honto in the afternoon.
Nancy

Have you tried Express Bourricot? (http://www.expressbourricot.com) I used them in April 2011 to get from Pamplona to St Jean and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. When I booked I was the only passenger and it was a bit costly but on arrival in Pamplona airport I quickly spotted some other pilgrims that were also intend on going to St Jean and who were planning to get the bus later in the day and were only to happy to find this alternative. So four of us shared the journey with Express Bourricot and split the cost. Try them, I am sure you will not be disappointed. Buen Camino, Michael

Have you tried Express Bourricot?
They are closed, perhaps permanently, by regulatory problems in going between Spain and France. They are limited to Bayonne/Biarritz to SJPdP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
falcon269 said:
Have you tried Express Bourricot?
They are closed, perhaps permanently, by regulatory problems in going between Spain and France. They are limited to Bayonne/Biarritz to SJPdP.

Yes I tried them and they are no longer permitted to make the run as you said.

nreyn12 said:
If you do end up going with the taxi plan, you might also consider staying over a night in Pamplona. There are plenty of comfortable accommodation options and a lively evening promenade to all the tapas bars. Then you could taxi to SJPP on Monday morning rested and refreshed. If you are not rushed for time, then maybe enjoy SJPP, visit the Pilgrim's Office, and then take a leisurely walk up to Orisson or Honto in the afternoon.
Nancy

Thank you Nancy. I will definitely stay in Pamplona for the night and go to SJPdP on Monday. I also like the Idea of Departing SJPdP and getting at least half way up the mountain, if the weather permits, on the first day.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi! I plan to go on El Camino Portugues starting in Vigo this summer, and after, I am going to explore Europe. I need a suitcase for my trip after El Camino, and I have been struggling to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back