• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to travel from Madrid to Leon

mdelag

Time of past OR future Camino
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO (2019)
We'll be arriving to Madrid Barajas Airport, on a Saturday morning, do we take train or bus ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You also have trains (renfe.com), but you need to go to the train station (there is another to train that will take you anyway), so it is much easier the bus. it stops not far away from Leon city center.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
May I ask where you're from?
The reason that I'm curious is that I'm from Western Canada. Here, I can safely say, trains are almost non-existent. And the extremely few trains we have are very expensive. If you're in the same boat then I say take the train! They're convenient, inexpensive, comfortable, and another fun "experience" while in Europe.
Just my $0.02.

Ron

In Spain we have good communication via trains, especially with the high-speed ones (Ave and Alvia). Ave can be a bit expensive (faster), and Alvia less expensive ( It is not as fast as Ave is, but still you can make Madrid-Leon in 3 hours). Anyway there is no Ave between Madrid - Leon (yet), you may find special offers on trains if you book in advance.
And then for sure, you will find a bus that will fit with your schedule to do Madrid-Leon.

I am Spanish but living abroad, so I used to do Madrid - Leon 4-5 times per year, so basically for the bus there is more frequency and you can take it directly from Barajas (T4), train less frequency but faster... But if you go with some bags, it is handy just take the bus directly in the Airport.

Then in Leon, both bus terminal and train station are pretty close together, and 10 minutes walking you will reach city centre.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are from Mexico, and we've checked both, train and bus. Thanks a lot, I think we will take the train, when schedules are available for september. At this moment renee just gives me options till july 2nd.
This forum has really helped solve lots of things.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
A recent post by @Kirkie in another older thread about the descent has prompted me to make this post. In it she tells us this: "I wrote to turismo.web@navarra.es The reply I got just now - I...
Hi, I’m an 18-year-old leaving for the Camino Frances in a few days. I’m doing it solo with quite a small spanish vocabulary and those are the two things that I’m a bit nervous about. Any last...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back