• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How's the camino in September?

Rae2607

Hello.
I would love to do my first trip on the Camino Frances in September (2013) so that I can celebrate my birthday whilst walking, but I recently looked at another pilgrim's photos taken in September, and quite honeslty the first half looked quite brown and dull at times. I know the experience isn't all about what the fields and trees look like around you - I just thought I should ask if anyone else out there has done the Camino in September and what you thought about the scenery compared to another time of year (perhaps May?). If I start the first of September, what would the weather and scenery be like?

Thanks to you all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
September is great. The crowds decrease a bit, and the weather moderates. Grapes are harvested. Trees still have leaves. Hunting season opens, so watch and listen for the gunshots. I am not aware of anyone having been shot, but I have been startled a couple of times.

In its own way it is gorgeous in September and October. It is not just brown: The earth and fields are hundreds of shades of brown and gold and red and beige, dotted with highlights of various greens and yellows of the leaves of the trees and vineyards. Most of the time the sky was a brilliant contrasting blue. The miracle is how the color pallette keeps changing every few days, and it changes throughout the day as the sun and clouds move across the sky. The dried grasses and flowers catch the light and glow. It is somehow profoundly restful. It is a more subtle kind of beauty.
In addition, it is harvest time, and in places there are delicious figs, almonds, chestnuts, walnuts, apples, plums, grapes. The peppers are ripe and as you walk through the small towns you see them drying everywhere and can smell them being roasted.
The drying cornstalks rustle in the wind, the ripening chestnuts plop irregularly on the ground and roll downhill, the dried acorns crunch underfoot.
The year I walked there were only a few days with any rain. In Galacia & the Pyranees it lasted for a day or more, but in between were rare brief morning showers, with an afternoon storm thrown in. The temperature was perfect for walking, not too hot. In the last half of October, towards the end of the meseta and in the Cantabrican mountains (before the clouds and rain of Galacia) there was frost in the morning, but it was warm in the afternoons. Light layers were great.
The best thing, at any time of year, is that on foot you have the time to notice, savor and appreciate what is around you every moment of every day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love the Camino anytime of the year. But, there is nothing that beats a spring walk on the Camino for scenery!
Everything is green, the wheat, corn, barley, asparagus - and the wildflowers are spectacular, like walking through an English country garden. The large white and black European stork are all on their nests on top of every church tower and steeple, or on specially constructed poles with a cup-cages at the top for the purpose of nest building.
But, besides an abundance of cherries (delicious varieties of cherries) there isn't much fruit to be had. All of those come in September, including the big plump blackberries on the brambles alongside the paths all the way from Frances to Santiago.
I walked in June and in early September last year and was struck by the difference in landscape in just two months.
One year I walked in late September/October and must admit that I found the bleak, dusty, sunbleached landscape especially on the meseta when even the dried sunflowers have been cut and only stalks remain, a little monotonous.

what beautiful prose kokolo
i walked the vdlp over the same period as you describe
and it is exactly as you say
the earth giving up the fruits of her labour
it is only the unfortunate few who will see the brownness of the fields and take another route
starting in late 30deg temps, with clear and cooler days inbetween, and ending 6 weeks later in brisk moist waether suited me well
thank you
you let me remember it so well

The Meseta in October (2013) was breathtaking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
September was great! Got a couple raining days at the beginning over the Pyrenees that made me stronger and humbled me fast. September still very much like summer, the weather was unique, being able to enjoy some wild flowers and berries. The trees changing different shades of colors...even the mountains are given a unique appearance with the fall colors. By the way, we were able to eat wild berries, grapes and delicious figs

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back