• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am a newbie

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
Hi,

I am new to this forum, alebit I have asked a couple of basic questions, and the replies I have received were all very useful.
My wife and I retired to southern Spain 12 yeas ago, and I will be walking the Camino Frances starting from St Jean PdP on 29th May.
I have already booked my 1st night (28th May) at Beilari.

I was due to walk with a friend but he is now unable to walk. So my 1st fear is off getting lost! I have my Brierley guide, but is the WAY clearly marked? I will have a phone with me so I can see where I am on Google Maps. Do I need an APP as well?

I am 70and have been training for the Camino, and I was due to do it last year. At that time I built up to 20k, 4 days a week. At the moment I am on 11k 3 days a week which takes me 2 hours to walk. Later on this week I will do 2 consecutive days of 20 k with full rucksack. My question is, do I stop on the 1st day at Orisson or continue on to Roncesvalles? The reson I ask is that I would like to book my bed before I leave home

Finally, I will have toilet paper with me, but are there toilets on the route?

Many thanks

Eric

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

I am new to this forum, alebit I have asked a couple of basic questions, and the replies I have received were all very useful.
My wife and I retired to southern Spain 12 yeas ago, and I will be walking the Camino Frances starting from St Jean PdP on 29th May.

I was due to walk with a friend but he is now unable to walk. So my 1st fear is off getting lost! I have my Brierley guide, but is the WAY clearly marked? I will have a phone with me so I can see where I am on Google Maps. Do I need an APP as well?

I am 70and have been training for the Camino, and I was due to do it last year. At that time I built up to 20k, 4 days a week. At the moment I am on 11k 3 days a week which takes me 2 hours to walk. Later on this week I will do 2 consecutive days of 20 k with full rucksack. My question is, do I stop on the 1st day at Orisson or continue on to Roncesvalles? The reson I ask is that I would like to book my bed before I leave home

Many thanks

Eric
Eric, welcome to the forum, if I may be so bold! "Don't worry" is perhaps your first little phrase to keep ready to pull out of your store of phrases. I am a tad older than you, but I have walked three parts the many routes to Santiago, so I have some experience that allows me to say: you will be fine! Others will fill in the more important points that you need information about! Wishing you Buen Camino...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was due to walk with a friend but he is now unable to walk. So my 1st fear is off getting lost!
I'm reminded of the character Tom in the film "The Way". He steps out of his lodging the first morning and sets off, disappearing from view. A bunch of pilgrims then appear coming from the same side of the screen heading in the opposite direction ... followed by Tom.

You'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Welcome, Eric.
We can say, "Don't worry" all we like.
But until you're actually out there and it all gets routine, the worrisome thoughts will come - maybe even a plague of them. It's very much a matter of 'feel the fear and do it anyway.'
And to clear up a few right away:
One the Frances, there are enough people and waymarkers to make navigation redundant.
I'd say, definitely, yes: book Orisson. Or go via Valcarlos. It is also a gorgeous walk.
And Toilets? It depends on how often you need them. There are toilets in bars and cafes...
and other than that..enough said.;)
My you have a buen camino!

No toilets along the way except for bars and restaurants (make a purchase!!).

It is hard to get lost. If you are in good shape, go to Roncesvalles the first day. Take care of your feet, and you can do it. It will be a few days later when exhaustion catches up to you, but on day one, you will be full of vim and vigor!:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will have a phone with me so I can see where I am on Google Maps. Do I need an APP as well?
Unfortunately, the Camino isn't marked on Google maps. I use the Buen Camino app, which uses GPS and shows your location on the Camino at all times. Or if you have strayed off the Camino you can easily see how to get back on it.

Hi,

Many thanks

Eric
Welcome to the Forum Eric,

May I start off with: The trail is greatly marked and the Brierley guide is a good one for the Frances. I've walked the Frances twice with nothing other then a guide book. No app, no Google maps. There are plenty of pilgrims to follow or who will grab your attention and wave you in the right direction. I've heard of pilgrims going off trail mostly because they were chatting away and not paying attention to the markers. You will be fine, no need to pack your fear. Let go, the Camino does provide.

A lot of pilgrims make it to Roncesvalles from SJPdP, myself included. I am a bit younger then you but didn't have much training. I won't say it's easy, it was tough at times but if you've been training you could very well surprise yourself. If you are planning on staying in Orrison, I'd get on making that reservation, they may be full up already for the end of May. There are other options if you can't make the reservation and feel you need to split the day.

There are no toilets on the trails directly. However there are plenty of villages and towns and cities to take care of business. My moto when traveling is: Go when you can, not when you must. ;)

I am so excited for you! There's a reason why you are going solo, IMHO it's the best way to do the Frances. You will develop a Camino family, the best family in the world.
:cool: 👣

I hope this helps, Buen Camino!

I can remember only one intersection between St Jean and Orisson where I wasn't sure which way to go. So I stopped and a homeowner came out and pointed me in the right direction! Almost every intersection has a yellow arrow, so you don't have to worry. There will be people ahead of you and people behind you and you will probably end up walking at least some of the way with the people you meet. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

May I start off with: The trail is greatly marked and the Brierley guide is a good one for the Frances. I've walked the Frances twice with nothing other then a guide book. No app, no Google maps. There are plenty of pilgrims to follow or who will grab your attention and wave you in the right direction. I've heard of pilgrims going off trail mostly because they were chatting away and not paying attention to the markers. You will be fine, no need to pack your fear. Let go, the Camino does provide.

A lot of pilgrims make it to Roncesvalles from SJPdP, myself included. I am a bit younger then you but didn't have much training. I won't say it's easy, it was tough at times but if you've been training you could very well surprise yourself. If you are planning on staying in Orrison, I'd get on making that reservation, they may be full up already for the end of May. There are other options if you can't make the reservation and feel you need to split the day.

There are no toilets on the trails directly. However there are plenty of villages and towns and cities to take care of business. My moto when traveling is: Go when you can, not when you must. ;)

I am so excited for you! There's a reason why you are going solo, IMHO it's the best way to do the Frances. You will develop a Camino family, the best family in the world.
:cool:👣

HI, I am so new, I don't know what IMHO means?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm reminded of the character Tom in the film "They Way". He steps out of his lodging the first morning and sets off, disappearing from view. A bunch of pilgrims then appear coming from the same side of the screen heading in the opposite direction ... followed by Tom.

You'll be just fine.
That reminds me I have still to watch the film , on signe posting it is great, really hard to get lost, only time is if you start of in the dark, or day dream in the towns !
Buen camino
Bill

Definitely do not walk to Roncesvalles the first day. It is probably the most difficult 1-day walk on the Camino, and it may break your walk before it's started, IMHO. I am 65.

The Way is very well marked.
Having read all the replies, I think i will do as you suggest and stay at Orrison . Many thanks for your input

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI, I am so new, I don't know what IMHO means?
Welcome, Eric.
We can say, "Don't worry" all we like.
But until you're actually out there and it all gets routine, the worrisome thoughts will come - maybe even a plague of them. It's very much a matter of 'feel the fear and do it anyway.'
And to clear up a few right away:
One the Frances, there are enough people and waymarkers to make navigation redundant.
I'd say, definitely, yes: book Orisson. Or go via Valcarlos. It is also a gorgeous walk.
And Toilets? It depends on how often you need them. There are toilets in bars and cafes...
and other than that..enough said.;)
My you have a buen camino!
I forgot about bars and cafes along the way

:cool:👣

As I mentioned, I was due to walk last year with a friend. It was her idea to walk the Camino. She dropped out due to Sciatica and shingles. 6 months later, another friend asked if I was going to walk the Camino. He then said he would come with me, and then he dropped out. Someone is telling me to go it alone.

Having read all the replies, I think i will do as you suggest and stay at Orrison . Many thanks for your input
Orisson only has 28 beds, so you will need to book ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someone is telling me to go it alone.
Then that is what you should do. That "voice" might well be your intuition, and it is good to follow your intuition. As far as reasons to go, there are many, and well put in these quotes taken from David Whitson's interview with Jack Hitt who wrote "Off the Road: A Modern-day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain." He walked the Camino Frances in the 1980s, 1990s, and his book that was a major inspiration for the film "The Way":
- One of the cool things about the road to Santiago is that almost any motivation to go ends up being a great one.
- The road will shape your motivation into something far more pilgrimy than you anticipated.
- The motive for walking was to discover the motivation for walking.
- We start the road for one reason and then the development of that question becomes far more complicated than we thought it was.
- The road sort of beats all of the cliche's out of you.
- You think you went for one reason and you end up going for a whole multiplicity of other reasons and they're all fascinating. And that question never goes away and never gets fully or satisfactorily answered.

You are on your Camino already...
Buen Camino!
--jim--

Will do in the morning

€83,-
Then that is what you should do. That "voice" might well be your intuition, and it is good to follow your intuition. As far as reasons to go, there are many, and well put in these quotes taken from David Whitson's interview with Jack Hitt who wrote "Off the Road: A Modern-day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain." He walked the Camino Frances in the 1980s, 1990s, and his book that was a major inspiration for the film "The Way":
- One of the cool things about the road to Santiago is that almost any motivation to go ends up being a great one.
- The road will shape your motivation into something far more pilgrimy than you anticipated.
- The motive for walking was to discover the motivation for walking.
- We start the road for one reason and then the development of that question becomes far more complicated than we thought it was.
- The road sort of beats all of the cliche's out of you.
- You think you went for one reason and you end up going for a whole multiplicity of other reasons and they're all fascinating. And that question never goes away and never gets fully or satisfactorily answered.

You are on your Camino already...
Buen Camino!
--jim--
Your comments here are about the same as a friend’s after returning from his Camino— less worrying on the Way about things that can’t be controlled, such as rainy weather, and more of an unexpected spiritual sense of the importance of making this journey on foot and accepting what comes with each new day.

Hi,

Many thanks

Eric
Hi, plenty of signs so don't worry. Toilets on the Mesetas are very thin on the ground, and so are trees!!! I think they need a few compostable toilets.
You'll do really well, don't worry. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where I was most likely to get lost was passing through cities. I recommend the Wise Pilgrim app on your phone. It has the Camino marked on the Google Map and you can see where you are in relation to it while you walk, if you need to.

Where I was most likely to get lost was passing through cities. I recommend the Wise Pilgrim app on your phone. It has the Camino marked on the Google Map and you can see where you are in relation to it while you walk, if you need to.
Thanks. Is the App in Play Store for Android phones? I just looked and can't see the one you mention.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I walked my first Camino 3 years ago with no guide book, app or anything just followed the arrows. A word of advice , look out for arrows yourself, dont just follow other pilgrims blindly - the two times I get lost were because I wasnt paying attention.

You can do either depending on your confidence with your fitness. It helps if you have trained on hills. It sounds as though you have been training sensibly, many people do little or no training, so you will have an advantage there.
My advice - listen to your body and walk your own pace, dont try and keep up with other people. Slow and steady is the way to go. I thought I was pretty fit and was passed by an 80 year old lady who walked past cheerily.

Most people walk to Roncesvalles on the first day, Orrison is only small and hundreds of people walk over every day in the warmer weather. You cant check in to Roncesvalles until later in the afternoon anyway.

No, but bars and cafes are usually close enough, buy a coffee and use their bathrooms. You may need toilet paper anyway as they always seem to run out. And the other thing which can be disconcerting is the lights are often on a timer, and you can be left in darkness its not so bad if you are expecting it.

Eric
[/QUOTE]

If you find that Orisson is booked, or you merely want an alternative, you can use the Mountain Shuttle.
Basically a taxi service.

It has some benefits.

You walk up to Orisson and get picked up to go back to St Jean. And stay at the same accommodation a 2nd night. Also means you can carry a lighter pack on the first section. As you can leave some gear in your accommodation in St Jean.

Then the shuttle will take you up he next day to resume your walk at Orisson.

It also gives you the option of breaking that first day at other places. So you could walk a bit further than Orisson for example.

If you look at the map it makes more sense.
Scroll down this page: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

The booking office is about 3 doors down from the Pilgrim office in St Jean.

If you wanted to on Day 2, they can also take your gear for you to Roncesvalles. Just makes those first couple of days a bit easier, if you were concerned at all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I walked my first Camino 3 years ago with no guide book, app or anything just followed the arrows. A word of advice , look out for arrows yourself, dont just follow other pilgrims blindly - the two times I get lost were because I wasnt paying attention.

You can do either depending on your confidence with your fitness. It helps if you have trained on hills. It sounds as though you have been training sensibly, many people do little or no training, so you will have an advantage there.
My advice - listen to your body and walk your own pace, dont try and keep up with other people. Slow and steady is the way to go. I thought I was pretty fit and was passed by an 80 year old lady who walked past cheerily.

Most people walk to Roncesvalles on the first day, Orrison is only small and hundreds of people walk over every day in the warmer weather. You cant check in to Roncesvalles until later in the afternoon anyway.

No, but bars and cafes are usually close enough, buy a coffee and use their bathrooms. You may need toilet paper anyway as they always seem to run out. And the other thing which can be disconcerting is the lights are often on a timer, and you can be left in darkness its not so bad if you are expecting it.

Eric
[/QUOTE]
Many thanks for your advice. I decided to take it easy to start with and have booked into Orrison for the first night and the Roncelles for the 2nd night. After that ill listen to my body. I gave just got back from 20k walk with a nearly full backpack. Took me about 3.5 hours or so. Doing the same tomorrow and I'll put a few extra things in the backpack. Not many hill on my train walks though.

Many thanks for your advice. I decided to take it easy to start with and have booked into Orrison for the first night and the Roncelles for the 2nd night. After that ill listen to my body. I gave just got back from 20k walk with a nearly full backpack. Took me about 3.5 hours or so. Doing the same tomorrow and I'll put a few extra things in the backpack. Not many hill on my train walks though.

You'll do fine!
20 kms takes me 4-5 hours :oops:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.