• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am from the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure the full context of this BUT my feeling is just because the world is in a mess does not mean that individuals walking the Camino cannot be brothers in arms supporting each other no matter what :
gender, nationality, religion we are
what life experiences we have had , personal opinions we carry

To me that is the true beauty of the Camino . We all arrive with our " baggage " ... not referring to a back pack ..... " Lifes Baggage " ... BUT we all walk the same steps and maybe along the way we share someone else's " baggage" .... we may change our opinion of our own "baggage" along the way ..... We may even lose some of our "baggage" .... We may open our eyes to "baggage" we didn't know we even carried ....

I know this may sound too optimistic BUT wouldn't this be a great place for world Peace to start ?

Ultreia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will find many of your countrymen on the Camino. For the most part, you will be looked upon as any other pilgrim, and afforded the same courtesy and respect. With one exception, all the treatment I witnessed was cordial and friendly. I did see an un-named European pilgrim have a go at one of my US walking companions about the american president, but we straightened that out pretty quickly! The Spaniards you will meet along the way are wonderful people. There is no issue here for you to worry about, you are as welcome as anyone else.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are two issues here, which often become entangled. The first is European attitudes to the contemporaneous American administration, and the fact that reflects on Americans traveling abroad. Sometimes we get cheered, sometimes we suffer guilt by association, and sometimes we are asked how we could be so stupid. The second is reaction to the occasionally boorish behavior of American tourists: we are perceived as too loud, we tip too much, we are too direct, too much in a hurry, too complaining when things aren't exactly as we find them at home.

My usual approach is to distance myself from unpopular presidents, and try to be a quiet and respectful visitor. People will respond to you as an individual if you give them the chance.

And - oh by the way - we should return the favor.

With what is going on in the world how are pilgrims from the USA looked upon? Are we welcome?
Marjm, I think your question is very valid. Last spring BEFORE the primaries most non-Americans I spoke with for any length of time eventually DID bring up our political situation - usually after a respectful lead-up, but very few could not be seen angling toward the eventual question: What on earth is going on with your election in the U.S.?? And there were some sideways comments that seemed very pointed to me, but which may have been translation problems with people who spoke limited English. I always try to remember wherever I go in the world that I represent my country to some, and so try to meet everything with as much equanimity as I can manage, but this year my plan is to just not engage on the topic and tell people I'm on Camino to be at peace and away from my own culture for a bit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back